• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you display your comics?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, D2 said:

Lol

i want my cases to include diamonds too, but I won’t spend more than $15 for a reholder. 

I don’t understand your comment, all I was saying was that I read somewhere that cgc slabs had uv protection. I could be wrong idk. I would recommend however, to be constructive rather than condescending. 

36 minutes ago, Ruskoinabiscuit said:

I don’t understand your comment, all I was saying was that I read somewhere that cgc slabs had uv protection. I could be wrong idk. I would recommend however, to be constructive rather than condescending. 

hahah, well apparently you do understand my comment.

It's all good, I was just poking fun because it's a point that gets brought up time and time again. Everyone expects the world and yet won't pay for it. CGC goes above and beyond to develop a quality product that we all benefit from, but still expect the products to tell time and put my kids to bed.

I apologize. I did not mean to offend you.

6 minutes ago, D2 said:

hahah, well apparently you do understand my comment.

It's all good, I was just poking fun because it's a point that gets brought up time and time again. Everyone expects the world and yet won't pay for it. CGC goes above and beyond to develop a quality product that we all benefit from, but still expect the products to tell time and put my kids to bed.

I apologize. I did not mean to offend you.

It’s all good, I’m just new to this so I didn’t know if they had protection or not - I wouldn’t mind paying more for it either. I just want to display my comic books but also want peace of mind knowing they will be safe. I don’t remember where I read that cgc cases have uv protection lol, I got fake news’d.

you got any ideas on how to protect the slabs? 

4 minutes ago, Ruskoinabiscuit said:

It’s all good, I’m just new to this so I didn’t know if they had protection or not - I wouldn’t mind paying more for it either. I just want to display my comic books but also want peace of mind knowing they will be safe. I don’t remember where I read that cgc cases have uv protection lol, I got fake news’d.

Honestly, I'm of the mindset that there is no real protection. You can get museum glass or UV film protection for plastics, but from all the things I have heard, they can still damage your books over time.
There was a member here that owned a GSX 1 9.8 and bought the reprint 9.8 for a display. That's what I would do. Display a 'display worthy' copy, and keep your cherished items safe.

Ultimately if you are willing to display them, then they are at risk.

I have my books in a dark container to avoid all light. Good luck though! If you find some amazing product, please post it up here.

1 hour ago, Ruskoinabiscuit said:

CGC label states - "Proper storage is essential to the preservation of your comic book. Extremes in light, temperature. moisture, vibration, temperature changes and other environmental changes can contribute to the deterioration of a comic book sealed in a CGC holder. For maximum protection, keep your CGC certified comic books in an immobile, dark, temperature and humidity controlled area."  

56 minutes ago, mrc said:

CGC label states - "Proper storage is essential to the preservation of your comic book. Extremes in light, temperature. moisture, vibration, temperature changes and other environmental changes can contribute to the deterioration of a comic book sealed in a CGC holder. For maximum protection, keep your CGC certified comic books in an immobile, dark, temperature and humidity controlled area."  

Thanks. I didn’t buy these to never look at though. I want to see these everyday, at least the ones in my collection. The ones I am using as investments I will store. I found a pretty cool company called frame of mind that uses museum quality acrylic to make custom cases and I called and sent in details for them to make me a frame for my Stan Lee signed book. I feel if I use uv film on my windows, museum quality frame and led lights it should hold up at least for my lifetime. I’d rather be able to look at it everyday and spend more to protect than to be like oh yeah I have it in a box in my closet. 

I found them from this article from tru-vue

https://tru-vue.com/2018/08/beyond-comic-con-draw-in-comic-book-lovers-all-year/

Edited by Ruskoinabiscuit

What MRC and D2 said. All light is harmful to paper. UV wavelengths are the most harmful.  But all light is damaging. 

You can make a color copy of the cover of your favorite books and frame the copies. While books live safely in the dark.  When those copies fade - and they will - you can make another copy. 

If determined to display the actual books, take guidance from the Library of Congress and the Northeast Document Conservation Center.  Windowless room. LED lighting at a low level.  Turn the lights off except when you are in the room. 

10 hours ago, Ruskoinabiscuit said:

Thanks. I didn’t buy these to never look at though.

I’m with you on this. I display my autographed music memorabilia, I want to look at and enjoy it everyday, I accept over time it’s going to fade and lose its value so I’m paying depreciation costs to enjoy it in the moment. 
4679A012-CEE8-494A-B8FC-81A6E16A2BAC.thumb.jpeg.e22d2228982a29da8060dfe4e465ef10.jpeg

Edited by Garystar

22 hours ago, Ruskoinabiscuit said:

I thought that the cgc cases protected against uv?

No, CGC cases are not UV protected, a CGC case does not offer any added protection than a Quality Mylite and Acid Free Board other than you can never touch the book again.

CGC graded books need to be stored in the exact same conditions as Raw books, Away from UV Light, Stored in a Controlled Temperature Environment (no unfinished basements/attics/garages) away all Heat Sources/Vents and away from all Moisture/Water. 

They do sell UV protected frames to display graded books.

https://thecollectorsresource.com/UV-graded-comic-book-frame

You can also use a UV Protected Film right on the slab or any frame you wish to use.

https://www.thecomicdoctor.com/how-to-effectively-display-slabbed-comic-books/

19 hours ago, Ruskoinabiscuit said:

Thanks. I didn’t buy these to never look at though. I want to see these everyday, at least the ones in my collection. The ones I am using as investments I will store. I found a pretty cool company called frame of mind that uses museum quality acrylic to make custom cases and I called and sent in details for them to make me a frame for my Stan Lee signed book. I feel if I use uv film on my windows, museum quality frame and led lights it should hold up at least for my lifetime. I’d rather be able to look at it everyday and spend more to protect than to be like oh yeah I have it in a box in my closet. 

I found them from this article from tru-vue

https://tru-vue.com/2018/08/beyond-comic-con-draw-in-comic-book-lovers-all-year/

My advice would be to keep the room they are in as dark as possible as far as blinds/curtains,shades, etc to keep out as much UV as possible and use LED light bulbs rather than Fluorescent or Incandescent.

I have had my action figures and memorabilia displayed for years, some have been displayed for 30 years, some of the action figure cards/box are showing signs of UV damage where the plastic is becoming clouded, some where that way when I bought them used but even the ones I bought new are showing some signs of UV damage, but I do not care, I display them because it makes me happy when I walk in the room and see them.

Just some images so you have all of the proper info, the first pic is what happens to a comic book when it is exposed to direct UV for an extended period (how long?). The second pic is three books I bought just to display and they are in UV protected frames and have been displayed for a year now.

Just a final note...Comic Books are meant to be read, held and looked at for enjoyment so, do what make you happy.

X-Men 106   GD2.0.JPG

F9-Marvel Comics #1000 Variant Covers-Framed.jpg

On 11/25/2020 at 11:12 PM, Garystar said:

I’m with you on this. I display my autographed music memorabilia, I want to look at and enjoy it everyday, I accept over time it’s going to fade and lose its value so I’m paying depreciation costs to enjoy it in the moment. 
4679A012-CEE8-494A-B8FC-81A6E16A2BAC.thumb.jpeg.e22d2228982a29da8060dfe4e465ef10.jpeg

Very cool! 

On 11/26/2020 at 7:55 AM, marvelmaniac said:

My advice would be to keep the room they are in as dark as possible as far as blinds/curtains,shades, etc to keep out as much UV as possible and use LED light bulbs rather than Fluorescent or Incandescent.

I have had my action figures and memorabilia displayed for years, some have been displayed for 30 years, some of the action figure cards/box are showing signs of UV damage where the plastic is becoming clouded, some where that way when I bought them used but even the ones I bought new are showing some signs of UV damage, but I do not care, I display them because it makes me happy when I walk in the room and see them.

Just some images so you have all of the proper info, the first pic is what happens to a comic book when it is exposed to direct UV for an extended period (how long?). The second pic is three books I bought just to display and they are in UV protected frames and have been displayed for a year now.

Just a final note...Comic Books are meant to be read, held and looked at for enjoyment so, do what make you happy.

X-Men 106   GD2.0.JPG

F9-Marvel Comics #1000 Variant Covers-Framed.jpg

I wanted to get a nice  frame for my stan lee signed carnage, but when I got a quote from a custom framer Frame of Mind inc it was out of my budget. I did opt for the museum quality acrylic which he said was $240 alone, and also not a popular selection because of the price even though it’s the best option, tru-vue says that their museum quality acrylic protects 99% of UV. I do recommend them though to a more serious collector, Sheldon from Frame of Mind does some solid work and was really patient with me and explaining the whole process went smoothly. You get to design it however you like, it does cost more but imho totally worth it. I will be getting a custom frame from him in the future for sure. 

On 11/26/2020 at 7:37 AM, marvelmaniac said:

No, CGC cases are not UV protected, a CGC case does not offer any added protection than a Quality Mylite and Acid Free Board other than you can never touch the book again.

CGC graded books need to be stored in the exact same conditions as Raw books, Away from UV Light, Stored in a Controlled Temperature Environment (no unfinished basements/attics/garages) away all Heat Sources/Vents and away from all Moisture/Water. 

They do sell UV protected frames to display graded books.

https://thecollectorsresource.com/UV-graded-comic-book-frame

You can also use a UV Protected Film right on the slab or any frame you wish to use.

https://www.thecomicdoctor.com/how-to-effectively-display-slabbed-comic-books/

Those look great, but out of stock 😭A0E07B49-7FBF-46A8-A91A-B3B21A6E710F.png.f8a2b78deeac8a27c0dd7d4fe258d865.png

I just called them and the owner Tony said they will have them in stock within the month, so I will be ordering like ten of these lol. Thanks for the reference! I can’t wait to grab them. In the meantime my books will have to stay safe in a dark box ☹️