• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, woowoo said:
5 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

There's also the MH/Church out there (Dentist?), the SF, and there's also two 9.0s that maybe were upgrade candidates.

When i talked to Dave last early 1980's he just got a Tec 27 same week as i got mine but said it was not the church. He never told me he had a copy of Batman 1 all the times we talked and he was buying stuff at the time and i had 3 copy's at the time to sell. Does he have the church Bat 1.

5 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Just double checked.  He does own the MH Batman 1.  Listed as NM by Chuck.  Here's a pic:

mile-high.jpg

Did you just double checked this with Dave hinself?  hm

I remember being down at the Diamond Int'l Galleries big grand opening back on Super Day of '95 and if I remember correctly, he told me that he was the buyer of Overstreet's copy of Batman 1.  That copy there was listed as a VF/NM copy and priced and sold for something like $60K at the time.  (thumbsu

With Dave, I guess it's always possible that he might have more than one copy of Bat 1, or more likely, he probably upgraded to the Church copy when it came available.  (shrug)

It's been 35 years since i talked to him by phone  :preach: I sold him book's but can not remember what :makepoint: I do remember he paid 3 times guide for the Action 1 or 3 times what it was worth at the time. I was a 19 year old kid with 3 Bat 1's 5 Fantasy 15's 2 Sup 1's All the timely 1s few times over ( not Marvel 1 tho) I even had Fantastic 3 and Red Raven 1 Samson 1-2-3-  FF 1's every place now NOW LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID @lou_fine I feel like Alan Harper :ohnoez:

harper.gif

42 minutes ago, comicparadox said:

Makes the sole 9.2 copy of Detective 27 less desirable IMHO. The front cover of Batman 1 is iconic even to the non-collector. Furthermore, the pin-up back cover of Batman 1 is so much better than some ad.
For the purpose of bragging rights, Wouldn’t you rather have the first issue of the Batman comic than the 27th of some other Comic?:shy:

Nope lol. 

All things being equal, I would take Tec27 over any other book. There are others in the conversation. Action 1 of course.. Tec 1.  But at the end of the day, if I had the resources and could only commit to 1 book,  it's Tec27.   

That said,  Batman 1 is unbelievably special.  IMO joker is as big and as important as any character who came out of the Golden Age. There is so much to love about Bat 1! 

As an aside - anyone else find it odd that there are more restored copies of Bat 1 on the census than unrestored? Any thoughts about why that is? 

6 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

20201123_223601.jpg

As my kids would say nowadays, it's amazing the hair that guys used to have back in the day when you compared it to today's short short style.  :bigsmile:

They were watching a video last weekend with Barry Gibb from the Bee Gees and couldn't believe the "flow" that he had as the only ones that seem to have that look nowadays are the hockey players who want their hair to flow out from under their helmets.  (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

As my kids would say nowadays, it's amazing the hair that guys used to have back in the day when you compared it to today's short short style.  :bigsmile:

lol  I was 22, it was the Guns n Roses era, what'dya want?  (Just wish I had saved some and cut it off to glue back on my head now :bigsmile:)

9 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Here is my take...

White pages on a mega key high grade increases the price greatly. Look at the last sale of Action 1...they put the book in a dark room and showed off the white pages...and the person who owned another 9.0 went out and spend over 1 million dollars more for that incredible  page quality.

The page quality coupled with a very strong and accurate  9.4 grade after careful examination on the Ha website, this copy is the real deal...you cannot really compare similar books or sales with the unique combo...This is the best book to come to market since the A1 3 million white page... this is a true masterpiece of GA collectable comic book...its worth every penny of 2 million dollars.

100% true

CGC Certification Verification (cgccomics.com)

Edited by woowoo

10 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I wish Heritage would give some back story to how this copy came about. Would be super interesting to learn where it was stored, who owned it, etc...

If you new that you would make a deal with the owner and they would lose all that commission:makepoint:

Edited by woowoo

7 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

:gossip: Upgrade of 9.0 copy.

I thought someone previously pointed that out but then said was not the case. I guess that would certainly make sense though as it seems to be the situation more often than not. As far as I can tell, it is very deserving of its current grade. Like, barring it being pressed and enhanced, ever calling this copy as is a 9.0 would be a travesty imop. I just compared it to the 9.2 that previously sold and still obviously nicer.

Edited by LDarkseid1

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Holy Bat Balls!!!

Coming to Heritage, a newly/recently graded Batman 1 CGC 9.4 (It’s GORGEOUS) the now single highest graded copy. 😳😳😳😳

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/p/7239-98005.s?ctrack=3257228&type=bodylink-4-comic-consign-7239-tem112320

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Holy sh*t !! :whatthe:

23236258%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah even the back is insanely beautiful 😳. There’s really nothing wrong with this book. Maybe some subtle corner wear.

88BFC225-7707-4EA0-A7AB-A78473074A3D.jpeg

01ec7b85191ef62eb745c4ac4f63c33c.gif.2a6577e28180fc52e33890c3b23d944a.gif

Sure is a gorgeous book that certainly measures up ..20201123_225422.thumb.jpg.290def21d1d66979cb0d6bba5651b2cb.jpg

whoever ends up with that one.(worship)

6 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Well that's what happens when you sell it...but on the bright side I was finally able to afford a haircut.

the 9.2 was an upgrade from 8.5 originally, and it looks like this 9.4 is an upgrade of one of the 9.0s, but I've got no problem with that - looks beautiful and certainly better than the one underneath it.

Here is the 9.0 that link had for a while than the 9.4

Batman-1.....jpg

Batman 1 9.4.jpg