• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I mean what I love about this copy is it’s a strong 9.4. A lot of contentious feelings about the Tec 27 7.0, for obvious reasons. There’s nothing to debate about with this. It’s pristine!

Maybe this book really is fresh to market, which would be awesome.  Unfortunately, the sad reality is that virtually every major high grade book that has come to market during the past decade turned out to be a recycle job.

So I think I'll wait until MasterChief or someone else with intimate knowledge of the high grade Bat market has passed judgment.

Edited by tth2
misspelled "MasterChief" as "MasterChef"!

5 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Maybe this book really is fresh to market, which would be awesome.  Unfortunately, the sad reality is that virtually every major high grade book that has come to market during the past decade turned out to be a recycle job.

There used to be two 9.0 copies on the census, now there is one.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:
1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I wish Heritage would give some back story to how this copy came about. Would be super interesting to learn where it was stored, who owned it, etc...

:gossip: Upgrade of 9.0 copy.

So utterly predictable. :frown:

MAN I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
30 minutes ago, tth2 said:

There used to be two 9.0 copies on the census, now there is one.

Thanks Sean.

Glad I posted as I read the thread rather than waiting until the end.  Always good to see my lowest and most cynical expectations met within the span of 4 pages.

Edited by tth2

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

So I took a closer look and save for some light stress marks on the spine, I noticed several of what I guess are extremely subtle color lifts. Otherwise I don’t see anything.

There's also this recessed staple.  Is this is a pressing thing?  Or is it an old comic thing... I dont really know, but I've seen it on many high grade GA books and it seems to get a pass.  Dunno how most people feel about it but it's always struck me as an eyesore, and something you'd think should affect the grade but it doesn't ever seem to.

Be curious to know the explanation for this 'defect" and if it typically bothers people as much as it does me.

image.png.c6ea637e85a386d35101dcf47bbdc9b4.png

image.png.c6080da9ca276fd4facabacffe63a4ec.png

No Way. No way. No Way. Man I didn't even know this existed. Just graded on Nov. 2nd. I wonder where the heck this freak has spent the past 80 years. 

Seriously anyone know if this was a well known book before it got graded or did it just come out of nowhere? 

Edit: I just read There used to be 2 9.0's on the census , now there's just 1. Say it ain't so. 

post-31458-Jim-Carrey-disgust-puke-gif-Du-5Lr8.gif

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:
4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah even the back is insanely beautiful 😳. There’s really nothing wrong with this book. Maybe some subtle corner wear.

88BFC225-7707-4EA0-A7AB-A78473074A3D.jpeg

That Robin is just so dog gone dreamy :luhv:

given his recently discussed "attributes", he should have been facing the other way ...

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

29 years ago I sold this copy for $40,000. At the time, Bob said it was nicer than his or any other he had ever seen. I've wondered what became of it.

But no matter where this copy came from, I'm glad it's the top copy instead of the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing 9.2 that used to occupy the top. If that copy was worth $850K nearly six years ago, I think this copy is definitely worth at least what the Tec27 brought last week. At worst, it's going to be the 2nd best if/when the Church gets graded.

However much Mitch wants to hype this one, I'm in total agreement.

edit - now having said all that, it looks like this used to be one of the 9.0 copies? I still rate it miles better than the 9.2

20201123_223601.jpg

Was waiting for your input. Thanks.

25 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

This is the remaining 9.0 copy on the census. The certification number is searchable.

image.png.c27fec5fbf5c448d5b55c28719e717eb.png

And then there was NONE if you wait a bit longer.  :devil:  :censored:

Just maybe, you are looking at the future CGC highest graded 9.6 copy here or is it a CGC 9.8 graded copy.  :p

After all, haven't we seen in the past certain CGC 9.0 graded books turn into CGC 9.8 graded copies by the time it's all said and done.  :(

10 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

There's also the MH/Church out there (Dentist?), the SF, and there's also were two 9.0s that maybe were one of which was definitely an upgrade candidates.

Corrected.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, szav said:

I dont really know, but I've seen it on many high grade GA books and it seems to get a pass.

And as it should since submittors are paying additional money into the CCG coffers and CGC would certainly not want to discourage their customers from giving them more money. :devil:

1 hour ago, szav said:

Dunno how most people feel about it but it's always struck me as an eyesore, and something you'd think should affect the grade but it doesn't ever seem to.

Don't you know that you are supposed to only look at that big number on the top left corner of the slab and nothing else below that?  :makepoint:   lol

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Did you just double checked this with Dave hinself?  hm

I remember being down at the Diamond Int'l Galleries big grand opening back on Super Day of '95 and if I remember correctly, he told me that he was the buyer of Overstreet's copy of Batman 1.  That copy there was listed as a VF/NM copy and priced and sold for something like $60K at the time.  (thumbsu

With Dave, I guess it's always possible that he might have more than one copy of Bat 1, or more likely, he probably upgraded to the Church copy when it came available.  (shrug)

Double checked on Rob Larsen's site.  He has DA buying the MH Batman 1 for multiples of Guide in 1984 ($12K).  

39 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

One copy was recycled in August of 2011 and became a 9.2. The 9.0 version was removed from the census. (Certification number is not searchable)

This was the first 9.0 to be recycled, and it seems that I recall it might have been an 8.5 before the "S" was erased.

Batman_1_9-0.jpg

3 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

So I took a closer look and save for some light stress marks on the spine, I noticed several of what I guess are extremely subtle color lifts. Otherwise I don’t see anything.

4D176FB4-C164-4464-8480-97FBE04A9689.jpeg

Not sure if the graders had their blinders on or were simply wearing their Covid-19 masks way too high, but this amount of butt ugly flaking or edge chipping alone should have taken the book right out of 9.4 contention.  hm  :p

Although it might look like a beauty from a distance, it is seriously overgraded if you take a closer look at it.  :facepalm:

3 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I wish Heritage would give some back story to how this copy came about. Would be super interesting to learn where it was stored, who owned it, etc...

You mean similar to that big con job that Darren and Matt put together on that CGC 9.0 graded copy of Action Comics 1 and the classic story about the cedar chest, but then left out a huge gap where the book magically manifested into a higher graded copy?  :devil:

Any bets that if they dream up a story on this so-called now highest overgraded copy of Bat 1, they would also not bother to go into the details about how it was magically tramsformed from a CGC 9.0 graded copy into a CGC 9.4 graded copy.  :p  :censored:

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

the 9.2 was an upgrade from 8.5 originally, and it looks like this 9.4 is an upgrade of one of the 9.0s, but I've got no problem with that - looks beautiful and certainly better than the one underneath it.

So, if I am following your grading timeline properly, the Census Population Report for Bat 1 would really be just the 2 CGC 9.0 graded copies at the top of the census then as there is no real CGC 9.4 or CGC 9.2 originally graded copies?  :devil:

11 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
11 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Even though their 2.5 Bat 1 performed dismally last week, this is gonna be different 

I’m sure the fact it was CBCS had more to do with that. Ive seen CBCS big books sell for considerably less than their CGC counterparts time and again.

Actually, wouldn't this be a straight resub for a CGC label and a fast flip to make some real easy big time money for any purchaser of this book then?  hm  :flipbait: