• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, wouldn't this be a straight resub for a CGC label and a fast flip to make some real easy big time money for any purchaser of this book then?  hm  :flipbait:

No. When I was offered  this book several years ago, I showed it to someone that “confirmed” it would likely be a Cgc 1.8/2.0 due to spine split. Of course what would happen today , who knows 

Edited by G.A.tor

9 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

29 years ago I sold this copy for $40,000. At the time, Bob said it was nicer than his or any other he had ever seen. I've wondered what became of it.

But no matter where this copy came from, I'm glad it's the top copy instead of the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing 9.2 that used to occupy the top. If that copy was worth $850K nearly six years ago, I think this copy is definitely worth at least what the Tec27 brought last week. At worst, it's going to be the 2nd best if/when the Church gets graded.

However much Mitch wants to hype this one, I'm in total agreement.

edit - now having said all that, it looks like this used to be one of the 9.0 copies? I still rate it miles better than the 9.2

20201123_223601.jpg

Great head of hair 

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure if the graders had their blinders on or were simply wearing their Covid-19 masks way too high, but this amount of butt ugly flaking or edge chipping alone should have taken the book right out of 9.4 contention.  hm  :p

Although it might look like a beauty from a distance, it is seriously overgraded if you take a closer look at it.  :facepalm:

So you think that’s flaking/chipping? I thought it was just little color lifts, but I think you may be right. The only explanation for the white underneath if it were chipping would be that’s the acid paper we’re looking at. I guess that makes sense though.

47 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh well, definitely a little disappointing being a resub than a fresh to market copy, as appears to be the case. Still a great looking copy for the most part.

+1 but every bit a 9.4 to me...

13 minutes ago, buttock said:

I'm going to cut and paste the first 6 pages of this into the next "OMG!" thread about a HG key, because it's pretty much the same conversation every time and that will save everyone the effort.  

Don’t take our fun away. 

7 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I don't think this is an upgrade from 1 of the 9.0 copy's. The 9.4 has spring issue cut off right at the top the 2 9.0's don't(shrug) If 1 of the 9.0 copy's had an upgrade the the top spring issue would be the same.

Batman-1......jpg

Batman-1.....jpg

batman ..1.jpg

its the 3rd 9.0 upgraded to 9.4...not these 2

22 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Agreed. Tiny color flakes that you have to go to 4x magnification to see don't bother me too much. The overall eye appeal is impressive. And to answer Gary's question earlier, yes I think this is easily worth more than the 9.4 Marvel #1.

Another versus I didn’t think of. Highest graded Bats 1 vs highest graded MC 1  ( with a pedigree )  both 9.4.  And lone highest graded copies. DC vs Marvel baby !!!!!  Both top 5 GA books as well   This fight has it all ! 

Edited by Chicago Boy

1 minute ago, Chicago Boy said:

Another versus I didn’t think of. Highest graded Bats 1 vs highest graded MC 1  ( with a pedigree )  both 9.4.  DC vs Marvel baby !!!!!

DC is wiping the floor with Marvel.  Action 1 and D27 are on completely different level.  DC second tier stronger than Marvel top tier.  AS 8 left CA 1 in the dust.  Batman 1 will leave MC 1 in the dust.  

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

DC is wiping the floor with Marvel.  Action 1 and D27 are on completely different level.  DC second tier stronger than Marvel top tier.  AS 8 left CA 1 in the dust.  Batman 1 will leave MC 1 in the dust.  

I agree on all fronts but you can’t throw the captain America versus wonder woman into the mix. Yes, 9.4’s , but the AS 8 was the highest graded where the Cap 1 was not.  Nobody sniffing the AS 8 these days. 

14 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I agree on all fronts but you can’t throw the captain America versus wonder woman into the mix. Yes, 9.4’s , but the AS 8 was the highest graded where the Cap 1 was not.  Nobody sniffing the AS 8 these days. 

AS 8 was the highest CGC grade available to ever come to market, as was the CA 1 (Verzyl's was graded but not available).  So very comparable.  And the AS 8 sold first.  CA movies are now done (a negative), WW has new movie coming out (a positive).  Big GA books tend to appreciate in sporadic spurts.  Big leaps, separated by long periods of inactivity.  And even books which regress, can change direction on a dime.  Just look at MC 1.  (I'm not convinced CA 1 will ever even top MC 1.)  

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, woowoo said:

I don't think this is an upgrade from 1 of the 9.0 copy's. The 9.4 has spring issue cut off right at the top the 2 9.0's don't(shrug) If 1 of the 9.0 copy's had an upgrade the the top spring issue would be the same.

Batman-1......jpg

Batman-1.....jpg

batman ..1.jpg

its the 3rd 9.0 upgraded to 9.4...not these 2

Yup...that's right.

I looked for the third 9.0 copy when the first 9.0 was upgraded in 2011. Couldn't find it.

I searched again yesterday. No luck. 

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

Batman-1......jpg

What.....are you saying this is one of those very obvious Dupchak machete-like hack and chop jobs as opposed to those near impossible to tell Ewert micro-trim jobs?  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

What.....are you saying this is one of those very obvious Dupchak machete-like hack and chop jobs as opposed to those near impossible to tell Ewert micro-trim jobs?  lol

@lou_fine I look forward to your post after i get home from work :preach: after 5pm and had few drinks lol I will say i don't think there where 3 9.0's :ohnoez: