• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why, dear Sir...........................would you be referring to Robin, the Butt Wonder with your comment here:  :p  :fear:

nightwings-butt-and-ass.thumb.jpg.1405fbd6a58fffead420975a3448c8d2.jpg

I guess Batman's nightly workout sure kept it in fine form.  :blush:  lol

What can we say? Some people like butt stuff. 20201124_193143.thumb.jpg.51a52dc5d2cc797a3985c458a3c80bac.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

that is a great question....apparently so...it seems more and more that  grading standards are being lowered and more modification of the GA/SA books which in turn leads to regrade and resub and regrade and resub and while that generates additional fees to the CGC and higher auction results, this "game" long term hurts the true GA/SA long term collector/investor with no assurance that some 8.5 copy is gonna come up to your 9.0 level at anytime. I would really like an answer to staple cleanng...that seems to be conserving 

Those staples were chia pet rusted. I’m guessing the cover will detach at both staples at some future point. Ain’t no removing that rust 

9 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Agreed. Tiny color flakes that you have to go to 4x magnification to see don't bother me too much. The overall eye appeal is impressive. And to answer Gary's question earlier, yes I think this is easily worth more than the 9.4 Marvel #1.

Is it then just a matter of timing?  If the Batman 1 showed up last November (instead of the MC 1) would it have sold for the numbers we're discussing now?

11 minutes ago, Moondog said:

Is it then just a matter of timing?  If the Batman 1 showed up last November (instead of the MC 1) would it have sold for the numbers we're discussing now?

Timing is everything in sales...I do not think you would be in the same ballpark...more investor types coming in...today

34 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:
1 hour ago, manofsteel said:

What happened to the rusted staples? Can they be cleaned and not get a conserved label?

that is a great question....apparently so...it seems more and more that  grading standards are being lowered and more modification of the GA/SA books which in turn leads to regrade and resub and regrade and resub and while that generates additional fees to the CGC and higher auction results, this "game" long term hurts the true GA/SA long term collector/investor with no assurance that some 8.5 copy is gonna come up to your 9.0 level at anytime. I would really like an answer to staple cleanng...that seems to be conserving 

Nothing happened at all.  They simply don't put "rusted staples" on the label any longer.  I'm sure its in the graders notes if you pay for them.  I think they do this as a favor to sellers or perhaps to get people to pay for graders notes.

Sadly I got burned on a GA CGC 9.0 a few years where you couldnt see the top staple in the scan.  The book was immaculate and fortunately only cost about $300.  When I got it I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, the top staple was so rusted it had enlarged, but somehow the rust didnt seem to have spread to the paper.

I thought maybe it rusted after slabbing, so I ordered to graders notes to confirm...but to my surprise the only note in the graders notes was "Top staple rusted".  Not sure how they ever gave this book a 9.0.

So...sadly every time I get a book online, if I can't see the staples I have to order the graders notes or ask the owner.  It's happened multiple times now on books between 8.0-9.0 where even the notes will say "moderate rust top staple" etc.

Edited by szav

6 minutes ago, szav said:

Nothing happened at all.  They simply don't put "rusted staples" on the label any longer.  I'm sure its in the graders notes if you pay for them.  I think they do this as a favor to sellers or perhaps to get people to pay for graders notes.

Sadly I got burned on a GA CGC 9.0 a few years where you couldnt see the top staple in the scan.  The book was immaculate and fortunately only cost about $300.  When I got it I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, the top staple was so rusted it had enlarged, but somehow the rust didnt seem to have spread to the paper.

I thought maybe it rusted after slabbing, so I ordered to graders notes to confirm...but to my surprise the only note in the graders notes was "Top staple rusted".  Not sure how they ever gave this book a 9.0.

So...sadly every time I get a book online, if I can't see the staples I have to order the graders notes or ask the owner.  It's happened multiple times now on books between 8.0-9.0 where even the notes will say "moderate rust top staple" etc.

That is horrible!

I am sorry this happened to you, but greatly appreciate you sharing this! Thank you.

21 minutes ago, szav said:

I would think that might be one of the important issues when undisclosed...sorry to here that about the purchase...

52 minutes ago, Moondog said:

Since the 9.2 had an $850K offer nearly six years ago (Jan 2015), I'm going to say yes.

2 hours ago, szav said:

That's actually kind of stunning that they don't disclose rusted staples on the label.   Grading is subjective and all, but who here would want a "9.0" book with rust?  Wowzers...

8 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

That's actually kind of stunning that they don't disclose rusted staples on the label.   Grading is subjective and all, but who here would want a "9.0" book with rust?  Wowzers...

Not I.  I'm a low-grade key collector, but I still think long and hard about books with rusty staples.   Honestly, it's better to just have the staples removed to save the paper.  I had an All Winners 1 that had staples removed and was still slabbed blue label.  At some point, it needs to be about preserving the book.  

23 hours ago, buttock said:

I'm going to cut and paste the first 6 pages of this into the next "OMG!" thread about a HG key, because it's pretty much the same conversation every time and that will save everyone the effort.  

21 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
21 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Another versus I didn’t think of. Highest graded Bats 1 vs highest graded MC 1  ( with a pedigree )  both 9.4.  DC vs Marvel baby !!!!!

DC is wiping the floor with Marvel.  Action 1 and D27 are on completely different level.  DC second tier stronger than Marvel top tier.  AS 8 left CA 1 in the dust.  Batman 1 will leave MC 1 in the dust.  

tiger beat on Tumblr | Childhood memories, Childhood, My childhood memories

13 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

.it seems more and more that  grading standards are being lowered and more modification of the GA/SA books which in turn leads to regrade and resub and regrade and resub and while that generates additional fees

I will say in this last month i have gotten an e-mail almost everyday from CGC and the other company. I don't read them anymore but never have i got so many e-mails so

1- Business is slow

2 Business is slow so resub your $$$ books for a fee

3 I will say makes me want to Resub my Tec 1 and 27 my Batman 1 from pgx to cgc don't know what the cost is or if its worth changing since they are Restored and the grades match my grades and nobody cares on restored book's (shrug)

6 minutes ago, manetteska said:

More of a general question, but on huge keys like this (not saying this one in particular), who do you think is used for pressing?

On my $500 golden age comics I'm concerned about sending them out and having additional damage done b/c the thing is 70-80 years old.

+1

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

More of a general question, but on huge keys like this (not saying this one in particular), who do you think is used for pressing?

On my $500 golden age comics I'm concerned about sending them out and having additional damage done b/c the thing is 70-80 years old.

2020 is a game changer as we all have extra time to think, collect, and watch the comic book auction market explode..  and that is the issue.. the risk of damaging vs improving... and catching the market just at the right time to sell or trade up.   
my advice on the pressing is this... if you are gonna press and flip...now..  I would do from a  monetary standpoint. If these are your permanent collection books I would leave unrestored or the fancy way to say conserved  ... oops that not it... sad state of affairs.