• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

Clearly, the front and back 9.4 scans appear juiced with saturation creating a more colorful and vibrant presentation. 

Don’t see the teensy  color flaking upper right edge to the right of the N in the 9.0, but it’s a little hard to tell.  Maybe some bits got lifted improving it.

Also interesting to see, though others don’t seem to care about it, the recessed staple in the 9.0.  I still don’t know if that’s a pressing induced defect, manufacturing thing, or naturally aging comic book thing.

Still an amazingly gorgeous old book.

Edited by szav

2 minutes ago, szav said:

Don’t see the teensy  color flaking upper right edge to the right of the N in the 9.0, but it’s a little hard to tell.  Maybe some bits got lifted improving it.

Also interesting to see, though others don’t seem to care about it, the recessed staple in the 9.0.  I still don’t know if that’s a pressing induced defect, manufacturing thing, or naturally aging comic book thing.

Still an amazingly gorgeous old book.

Every bit a 9.4. Juiced pics or not 

25 minutes ago, szav said:

Damage can and does result from mechanical pressing in the form of impacted (recessed) staples. I have documented many cases displaying this defect. It is one of several characteristics to look for when examining before and after imagery to determine manipulation. It's hard to say whether that's the case with this book, though.

Edited by MasterChief

6 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
6 hours ago, astrometric said:

I'm pretty sure I have pics of all three CGC 9.0s on my backup drive which  I can't access at the moment. But for reference purposes if anyone was curious, here is the 9.2 graded now nearly a decade ago. I want to say this picture is at least six years old.

BAT9.2.jpg

Bat9.2b.jpg

Thx. 9.4 still nicer. Really want to see that third 9.0.  So far the 9.4 is the lone champ appearance wise. 

The 9.0 that was posted without the erased "S" appears to me to be of similar quality to the 9.4 to me. Razor sharp looking top right corner, better centering up / down. Maybe I'm missing something? (if not, maybe it's a future 9.4 as well?)...

4 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Took another deep dive into the digital abyss... came up with this.

The 3rd 9.0 image is presented as discovered. The 9.4 image is resized for the purpose of side-by-side comparison...

Thank you. Just getting to my computer now. You saved me allot of time. I took a look-back at stale CGC census data and confirmed that it was on the 11/10/20 census update, that the 9.0 population dropped to 1.

On that 9.2 I posted, I believe you confirmed it was a 9.0 in its previous life and also had the erased S. Any thoughts on another astute's posters comment that it could have resided in a lower graded case before that with the S actually not erased? Thanks again. Cheers. 

7 hours ago, comicdonna said:

So, there was an S erased on that 9.2?  That's a lot of color loss.  It looks like an 8.5 tops to me.  

I guess that's probably because it was indeed orignally graded as being only a CGC 8.5 copy on the first go round, as according to Sean in his previous post several pages back:  (thumbsu

On 11/23/2020 at 9:07 PM, Crowzilla said:

the 9.2 was an upgrade from 8.5 originally, and it looks like this 9.4 is an upgrade of one of the 9.0s, but I've got no problem with that - looks beautiful and certainly better than the one underneath it.

5 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Took another deep dive into the digital abyss... came up with this.

The 3rd 9.0 image is presented as discovered. The 9.4 image is resized for the purpose of side-by-side comparison...

Beautiful before, beautiful now.

I would suggest the remaining 9.0 is also a strong candidate for upgrade, unless the soft bottom right corner limits it (I know it limited my old Wonder Woman #1 to a 9.0, and which nearly 20 years later is still the highest graded copy).

27 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Question: on a mega key... what is the record grade jump from initial  Hcc grade to final upgraded grade? Anyone know?

No, but I can think of several that have gone two increments and from ow to white.

30 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Question: on a mega key... what is the record grade jump from initial  Hcc grade to final upgraded grade? Anyone know?

Not sure about mega keys, but we all know full well about the Church copy of Boy Comics 17 that went from CGC 4.0 all the way up to CGC 9.0 after stopping for a break at the CGC 7.5 rest area.  :bigsmile:

I've also heard of GA books going from CGC 6.5 up to CGC 9.0 after steam rolling out a subscription crease.  (thumbsu

In the deep end of the condition pool and from the HA archives, I guess it would have to be a CGC 9.0 graded copy going up to a CGC 9.8 copy after taking a break in the CGC 9.6 penthouse.  :gossip:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

No, but I can think of several that have gone two increments and from ow to white.

Wow how do do that.. on the video action 1 9.0 white pages for the eBay sale , in the dark they were Snow White ... amazing..  how did they upgrade that.. they were bright white

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about mega keys, but we all know full well about the Church copy of Boy Comics 17 that went from CGC 4.0 all the way up to CGC 9.0 after stopping for a break at the CGC 7.5 rest area.  :bigsmile:

I've also heard of GA books going from CGC 6.5 up to CGC 9.0 after steam rolling out a subscription crease.  (thumbsu

In the deep end of the condition pool and from the HA archives, I guess it would have to be a CGC 9.0 graded copy going up to a CGC 9.8 copy after taking a break in the CGC 9.6 penthouse.  :gossip:  lol

When will the “madness “ stop... the only thing is for the buyers not give such an incredible premium ... I firmly believe the page upgrade on  action 1 upped it a million...