• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

I would really have to see Mr Bedrock in black leather pants, preferable shirtless, before I could draw any conclusion.

Ditto.

(nobody post that damn Roy pic either or I'll wangpic your inbox)

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Now the last time I disagreed with someone here I was labeled sexist. I am sure some of you will now lump me in with Roy as an argumentative insufficiently_thoughtful_person. So be it.

Someone picking on you long tall and good taste in comics and tunes?

Shall I release the Kraken?

Spoiler

116042132_711676226342149_45334112208936

7 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

This response to Crowzilla's statement that the Church books were "naturally pressed" has sat here for a while with no response (other than a couple of folks whose emojis shed tears for me) and that really bugs me.

Whether or not, or to what degree, anyone believes that stacking comics in a pile for a long period of time in perfect storage conditions constitutes "natural pressing" is irrelevant to the comment above. What is relevant is that this poster feels so strongly in his viewpoint that if someone has the gall to disagree with him they must be "intellectually dishonest", and therefore his position must be intellectually honest.

I think that is a ridiculous, overbearing, self-aggrandizing stance to take in a discussion that has no definitive proof to back up either side.

Now the last time I disagreed with someone here I was labeled sexist. I am sure some of you will now lump me in with Roy as an argumentative insufficiently_thoughtful_person. So be it.

But nobody puts Sean in the corner!!!

(And for the record I think the Church books were simply a result of optimal storage)

I suppose the reason no one responded to either line of logic is because these arguments are not new. They have been used by various individuals for the better part of 17 years on the boards during pressing discussions. Nothing really new or explosive, or aimed to chastise or demean. If one argument is mentioned, it is usually followed by the other. "This poster", who you personally know as Mitch as we have met and chatted at shows down through the years, just so happened to be the one who posted the counter six-foot-stack argument this time around. And as far as putting Sean in a corner goes, I certainly hope he doesn’t feel that way as that was not my intent. I enjoy his postings and look forward to more of them.  (thumbsu

Edited by MasterChief

4 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

I supposed the reason no one responded to either line of logic is because these arguments are not new. They have been used by various individuals for the better part of 17 years on the boards during pressing discussions. Nothing really new or explosive, or aimed to chastise or demean. If one argument is mentioned, it is usually followed by the other. "This poster", who you personally know as Mitch as we have met and chatted at shows down through the years, just so happened to be the one who posted the counter six-foot-stack argument this time around. And as far as putting Sean in a corner goes, I certainly hope he doesn’t feel that way as that was not my intent. I enjoy his postings and look forward to more of them.  (thumbsu

I think you misread my post. "This poster", the one claiming intellectual honesty, is you.

10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

This response to Crowzilla's statement that the Church books were "naturally pressed" has sat here for a while with no response (other than a couple of folks whose emojis shed tears for me) and that really bugs me.

Whether or not, or to what degree, anyone believes that stacking comics in a pile for a long period of time in perfect storage conditions constitutes "natural pressing" is irrelevant to the comment above. What is relevant is that this poster feels so strongly in his viewpoint that if someone has the gall to disagree with him they must be "intellectually dishonest", and therefore his position must be intellectually honest.

I think that is a ridiculous, overbearing, self-aggrandizing stance to take in a discussion that has no definitive proof to back up either side.

(And for the record I think the Church books were simply a result of optimal storage)

Roy, is that you?

19 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I wanted to think on this for a bit and I agree with what Mr. B is saying.  I don't know if it's just 2020 crankiness, but a lot of people who I really respect as intelligent and wise collectors are not behaving intelligently or wisely.  

These discussions have a lot of aspects to consider and nuance is the expectation.  As such, we should all be able to speak our minds and opinions without reflexively jumping to slights and insults. 

I've seen that a number of people aren't posting nearly as much as they used to explicitly because of this.  That's not good.  We need ambassadors for the hobby and we need intelligent discussion to keep it strong.  

So straighten up ya buncha dickweeds. 

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Roy, is that you?

20 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Not even remotely close.

Serious question (well mostly) but who or what is Roy here on the boards? I’m out of the loop on this one???

I’ve had a number of cranky and insulting PM’s from boardies over my years on the boards but don’t recall a single Roy that I know of.

What or who am I missing??

48 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Serious question (well mostly) but who or what is Roy here on the boards? I’m out of the loop on this one???

I’ve had a number of cranky and insulting PM’s from boardies over my years on the boards but don’t recall a single Roy that I know of.

What or who am I missing??

I've never thought of Roy aka Vintage Comics as cranky or insulting.  That might explain why you don't make the connection.

24 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I've never thought of Roy aka Vintage Comics as cranky or insulting.  That might explain why you don't make the connection.

Yep. Know that one from mostly sales threads...