• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2021 at 11:42 AM, Gotham Kid said:

My 1.8-2Mil guess estimate still stands. Also, fully deserving current bidding as single highest grade copy, quite possibly in existence. If I had the choice between the Bats1 9.4 and Tec27 7.0, as I have already posted, I would take the Bats1

If there was a 9.6 Bats1 in existence would you still choose the 9.4 over the 7.0? I predict being that it is the highest graded there is going to be a war over it and it may end in the 2.3 to 2.4 ballpark.

8 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

If there was a 9.6 Bats1 in existence would you still choose the 9.4 over the 7.0?

yes, but I doubt there is or that an existing copy can be juiced up to that grade.

Edited by Gotham Kid

36 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
41 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

If there was a 9.6 Bats1 in existence would you still choose the 9.4 over the 7.0?

yes, but I doubt there is or that an existing copy can be juiced up to that grade.

Well, let's not forget about the Church copy of Bat 1 that Dave would have locked away in his private collection.  hm

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, let's not forget about the Church copy of Bat 1 that Dave would have locked away in his private collection.  hm

I asked before if anyone could attest to likely grade. Until someone comes forward, preferably based on eye witness account, the HA 9.4 remains the best copy in existence.

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Is there an ungraded Church copy out there? Or do people think there might be?

Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words:  (thumbsu

mile-high.jpg

On 11/23/2020 at 8:47 PM, Crowzilla said:
On 11/23/2020 at 8:35 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I wish Heritage would give some back story to how this copy came about. Would be super interesting to learn where it was stored, who owned it, etc...

:gossip: Upgrade of 9.0 copy.

If this is indeed the case, then I assume the book must have been graded twice by the owner since they have apparently owned it for the past 38 years.  I assume the second time would be with a bit of help in terms of maximizing its potential.  hm

As for the back story from Heritage with respect to this particular book, ask and ye shall receive:

http://intelligentcollector.com/batmans-best/?ctrack=473536&type=article11-1-www-icmag-winter20-21-special1-tem010521

In 1979, Billy T. Giles moved from Shreveport, La., to Houston, when Texas Eastern Transmission Pipeline Co. relocated its headquarters to Texas. Billy fell in with the local comics shops and dealers and helped his son complete an Amazing Spider-Man collection and obtain other key comics.

Billy then decided to collect Batman for himself, starting with the purchase of six of the first nine issues from Camelot Bookstore owner Willie Patterson’s personal collection.

Camelot was located in downtown Houston, where Billy spent many lunch hours discussing comics – especially the Batman No. 1 – with Patterson. Around that time, Patterson advertised Camelot’s copy of Batman No. 1 in the Comics Buyer’s Guide for $5,000, at the time a costly investment. When it failed to sell at such a steep price – remember, this is around 1982 – Billy offered him $3,000 cash, which Willie happily accepted.

The first Batman became Billy’s, and friends and neighbors teased him for spending that much for a comic book they insisted might one day be worthless. History, of course, proved otherwise.

When Billy retired from Texas Eastern, he began a comic-book business called BTandWDGiles, and spent the rest of his life buying and selling comics; his passion had turned professional. When he died in 2019, Billy’s son inherited his father’s remarkable collection, and a year later decided it was someone else’s turn to own the finest known copy of Batman No. 1.

21 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I asked before if anyone could attest to likely grade. Until someone comes forward, preferably based on eye witness account, the HA 9.4 remains the best copy in existence.

I would say that if the 9.4 copy were better than Anderson's copy, then he'd own it already.

He's shown that he has no qualms about jettisoning the Church copy from his collection if another copy is clearly better (e.g., Church Tec 27 replaced by the AT Tec 27, Church Superman 1 replaced by an apparent non-pedigree Superman 1).

Edited by tth2

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I would say that if the 9.4 copy were better than Anderson's copy, then he'd own it already.

This^

Anderson was collecting in 1982. He had an opportunity to buy this Batman #1 from Camelot just like anyone else. If it was nicer, he would have done so.

The doubt about that I see in some of the posts above I can only assume comes from people that haven't been in the hobby for 40 years, and are unaware of how relentless he has been in this pursuit, and unaware of the high grade copies of mega-keys he has jettisoned over the years.

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That's because we are waiting for you to bump up the bid to the next increment so that we can REALLY have something to talk about here.  :baiting:  lol

Uhhhh, no thanks! Don't want to potentially be in debt for the next 500 years.

Edited by LDarkseid1