• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, ThothAmon said:
14 hours ago, tth2 said:

he'd own it already.

Or may own it soon?

This copy is not a book that was just discovered in an attic somewhere.  It's been known to be in existence for a long time.  If it was better than his copy, it would've entered his collection a long time ago.

12 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

This^

Anderson was collecting in 1982. He had an opportunity to buy this Batman #1 from Camelot just like anyone else. If it was nicer, he would have done so.

The doubt about that I see in some of the posts above I can only assume comes from people that haven't been in the hobby for 40 years, and are unaware of how relentless he has been in this pursuit, and unaware of the high grade copies of mega-keys he has jettisoned over the years.

When it comes to books that are in Anderson's wheelhouse, the assumption should be that any copy that sees the light of day simply didn't make the cut to get into his collection.  The only possible exception might be the AT Tec 29.  

This must be a fun hobby when you own books that could rival the Mona Lisa for collectible supremacy. Ok I kid, I know France was considering selling ML for around a Bil to make up for debt. Don’t think these mega keys Dave owns are worth that much 😂. But still!

This is how I see it in my mind:

It’s a Saturday. Nothing special in particular about this given Saturday. Just a normal day, buy some groceries, watch a college football game, maybe play some online chess. Suddenly, you get the urge, one you’ve felt many times before. You get in your car and drive to the bank, but not for the reason most normal people do. It’s not to exchange a $10 bill for a roll of quarters to do laundry. You walk inside and the excitement rises during every step, with your heart beating faster and faster. Your normal representative is at their desk and you approach, making the same request as always. They walk you to the vault, unlock it, while gaining clearance through the motion activated censors that unleash two massive machine guns (added that for dramatic affect 😁). You walk into the vault, the representative quietly leaves without a word. You unlock that box, the very same box you’ve unlocked time and time again that contain relics of a time long past. Open it, and out pops the cleanest, crispiest Action Comics 1, Tec 27 and Batman 1 known to existence, as well as other insane comics. Only you, and a few lucky friends have every enjoyed such a moment, but on this day, it’s only for your eyes. As you basque in the array of such heavenly items, pure bliss consumes you.

Annnnddd, scene end.

34 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

.... Open it, and out pops the cleanest, crispiest Action Comics 1-20, Tec 27-40, Batman 1-20, Superman 1-20, Whiz 1, Pep 22, and Archie 1 known to existence, as well as other insane comics. Only you, and a few lucky friends have every enjoyed such a moment, but on this day, it’s only for your eyes. As you basque in the array of such heavenly items, pure bliss consumes you. Then you drive home in your #1 Batmobile.

Annnnddd, scene end.

Fixed it a little for you.

43 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

.... Open it, and out pops the cleanest, crispiest Action Comics 1-20, Tec 27-40, Batman 1-20, Superman 1-20, Whiz 1, Pep 22, and Archie 1 known to existence, as well as other insane comics. Only you, and a few lucky friends have every enjoyed such a moment, but on this day, it’s only for your eyes. As you basque in the array of such heavenly items, pure bliss consumes you. Then you drive home in your #1 Batmobile.

Annnnddd, scene end.

Fixed it a little for you.

It must tick him off that the best AA16, Cap 1, Marvel 1 (?) and the 3 WW books (to name a few) aren't in his possession.

He is the "Brulato of the GA", almost ...

Edited by Gotham Kid

56 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

It must tick him off that the best AA16, Cap 1, Marvel 1 (?) and the 3 WW books (to name a few) aren't in his possession.

Think he only collected DC back in 1981 (shrug) I was sending him and looking for nice cop's to send him but he did buy under grade stuff from me also so Marvel 1 would have been like you wanting Fantasy 15 Peter :whistle: p.thumb.jpg.9bbf57af0a4280dc190de52832f08265.jpg

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

Think he only collected DC back in 1981 (shrug) I was sending him and looking for nice cop's to send him but he did buy under grade stuff from me also so Marvel 1 would have been like you wanting Fantasy 15 Peter :whistle:

But since he owned the Denver Marvel #1 at one point (as well as lots of other HG Timelys), I guess he got over that aversion. Or at least they made nice trade bait towards DCs.

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

But since he owned the Denver Marvel #1 at one point (as well as lots of other HG Timelys), I guess he got over that aversion. Or at least they made nice trade bait towards DCs.

Yes indeed, as I also remember that he used to owned the Denver copy of All-Select 1 back then.  (thumbsu

If I remmber correctly, he said something about siamese pages which would make it hard for the buyer to read one of the stories.  I guess in this age of certification, it wouldn't matter as much since the slab makes it impossible to see any of the interior pages unless you crack the book out of the slab. hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, as I also remember that he used to owned the Denver copy of All-Select 1 back then.  (thumbsu

If I remmber correctly, he said something about siamese pages which would make it hard for the buyer to read one of the stories.  I guess in this age of certification, it wouldn't matter as much since the slab makes it impossible to see any of the interior pages unless you crack the book out of the slab. hm

In this day and age, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the double cover and siamese page books get cracked so they can carefully have the extra pages or cover removed,  and sell them separately all while have the book reassembled, cleaned and pressed. All to maximize profit. :facepalm:

14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Anderson doesn't seem to be as much of a completist as Brulato.  I'm sure if he wanted those various books (as well as the Church run of Flash, GL, All-Star, etc.), they could've been his. 

He also could've had the AT Cap 1 if he had really wanted it, as its whereabouts before Verzyl bought it were not a secret.

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Anderson doesn't seem to be as much of a completist as Brulato.  I'm sure if he wanted those various books (as well as the Church run of Flash, GL, All-Star, etc.), they could've been his.

He had the Church GL 1-10 run for a while, and of course he sold the Church Flash 1 when it became one of the first books to sell for $100K, don't remember if he had the 2-10 or not. And he was the person who freed the Church All Star 3 from Bob. But yes, all gotten rid of in his pursuit of Superman and Batman.

Ask yourself this - when was the last time you saw a Church Superman or Batman below #100 on the market?

I sold Anderson 65 Sensation Comics Mile Highs back in 1999 ranging from #2-87. Since then all of the later numbers have resurfaced. I never asked him why he decided to sell off the later issue, but it seems like he’s not a completists of High Grade Sensation Comics over issue #40!

16 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

He had the Church GL 1-10 run for a while, and of course he sold the Church Flash 1 when it became one of the first books to sell for $100K, don't remember if he had the 2-10 or not.

He may have but, if so, he sold them early on.  Joe Duggan had them and then sold them to Joe Smejkal back in the 90s (or earlier).  Joe ended up consigning them to Heritage in 2008.