• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, adamstrange said:
23 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

He had the Church GL 1-10 run for a while, and of course he sold the Church Flash 1 when it became one of the first books to sell for $100K, don't remember if he had the 2-10 or not.

He may have but, if so, he sold them early on.  Joe Duggan had them and then sold them to Joe Smejkal back in the 90s (or earlier).  Joe ended up consigning them to Heritage in 2008.

If I remember correctly, believe Joe S. also had the Church run of Green Lantern which he told me about when I was sitting next to him at a CBM dinner during one of the SD Con's to honor all of the GA DC creators from the 30's and early 40's.  (thumbsu

I am sure he also ended up selling tht GL run off in one of the HA auctions, but not sure if it's the same auction as the Flash run.  (shrug)

Any idea whatever happened to Smejkal in the end, as I assume he would no longer be in the hobby after selling off those Church runs?  hm

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, believe Joe S. also had the Church run of Green Lantern which he told me about when I was sitting next to him at a CBM dinner during one of the SD Con's to honor all of the GA DC creators from the 30's and early 40's.  (thumbsu

I am sure he also ended up selling tht GL run off in one of the HA auctions, but not sure if it's the same auction as the Flash run.  (shrug)

Any idea whatever happened to Smejkal in the end, as I assume he would no longer be in the hobby after selling off those Church runs?  hm

Sadly he passed many moons ago!  I talked to him quite a bit as we both collected DC Mile Highs.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I never Met Joe S, but I constantly heard the phrase “that book got Smejkal’d” which was referencing Joe bought it and it was gone from being sold again as Joe tended to hold on to books he bought.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, woowoo said:

Think he only collected DC back in 1981 (shrug) I was sending him and looking for nice cop's to send him but he did buy under grade stuff from me also so Marvel 1 would have been like you wanting Fantasy 15 Peter :whistle: 

Well, it's pretty clear that his interests extended far beyond just DC's from some of the Church runs that have shown up for auction on Heritage over the years.  (thumbsu

I remember when I was working with Pat to help him with his Chinatown Collection back around 2007 and Dave contacted me to express interest in obtaining the entire collection lock, stock, and barrel.  Although I am sure that he would have preferred them in raw condition, he said that he would have no concerns with taking the entire thing once they all came back from CGC.  He still wanted them all even when I told him that the DC's were not in the same pristine 9.6 and the few 9.8 graded condition that the later non-super hero books from the 1950's were grading out at.  :luhv:

I told Dave that his chance of getting the Chinatown Collection would be absolutely zero as Pat was not even willing to let a single one of the books go except possibly for the odd humour or low demand book from the 1950's.  It's now 2021 and looks like my prognostication was correct as I am not aware of Pat selling any of them even though he finally did managed to obtain the pedigree designation from CGC for them last year that he had been seeking to for so long.  :taptaptap:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

What was the hammer in that 359 ?  Beat the 181 ??

Well, if I can remember my Grade 5 arithmetic from way back in the day, I do believe that $111K with still almost another 2 days to go is probably higher than the $90K that the Bat 181 came in at with the first appearance of Poison Ivy.  hm (shrug)

Then again, if my high level math is indeed incorrect, please feel free to correct me here.  :bigsmile: