• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

I was digging through some old paper work and found one of my old letters that had been sent from CC trying to drum up business back in 2011. They talk about breaking the $1 Mil barrier with the Kansas City and setting the then Guinness Record of $1.5 Mil at the time for the then Highest Graded CGC Action #1. They also mention, that at the time they only charged a 10% sellers premium and no buyers premium .20210115_234508.thumb.jpg.b720a9686b79b76bd60bb84564361f0f.jpg20210115_232538.thumb.jpg.f036e8f2d8e6574930ffd110315a0188.jpg20210115_232555.thumb.jpg.aebae3d1eeb4ebab234a3e69f96792c9.jpg

9 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Just dawned on me that the highest graded Bats 1 almost 1 million more than highest graded pedigree Marvel 1 not too long ago. 

I suppose many of you know who currently owns that 9.4 Marvel 1 (I don't). I suppose if they let it loose now they'd make a great profit. I'd like to see that. I'd also like to see one of the four 6.0 or higher Superman 1's come around to see where they would land at these days. I don't think any of them have been offered for at leat 20 years. :signofftopic: I know.

21 hours ago, woowoo said:
21 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Tec 38 9.4 :baiting:

Soon to be 9.8 wait for it :whistle:lf?set=path%5B1%2F8%2F8%2F5%2F1885740%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I remember when this particular book almost seem like a hot potato about 10 to 15 years ago with buyers reselling it after every few years at a seemingly lower price point.  Looks like the last time it sold was for $107,550 back in 2009 after the previous owner had paid $126,500 for it back in 2005.  :tonofbricks:  :(

I guess the current owner if they are the one that picked it up for $107,550 would be ecstatic atwhat the book should be able to fetch in today's hyper red hot marketplace, especially since it is still the single highest graded copy of a key GA book.  :whee:  :banana:

20 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Honestly that could be a 9.8 and I wouldn’t see a difference. GORGEOUS copy!

I guess you really can't tell a book strictly by its front cover since this book was originally graded as being only a VF copy by Payette when the Allentown Collection first came into the marketplace.  Of course, Payette always had a reputation of being a tough grader, but still, that's a huge difference in grading since maximaztion of potential was still a few years away from being known in the marketplace back then as the book was graded way back in 2002.  hm  :whatthe:  :takeit:

19 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
19 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

back cover :gossip:

What a tease, thinking a possible 9.8 ☹️

7A1F63A5-7917-4CC1-A3DE-1A5A452E4FC2.jpeg

Well, at least it's not on the front cover as that would have been a lot more prominent there.  (thumbsu

Most books with dust or sun shadows on them usually tend to have matching shadows on both the front and back covers.  I guess this copy of 'Tec 38 managed to fare a lot better with just the back cover being exposed.  :)

Not sure about the grading nowadays, but I believe they were a lot easier on these kinds of visual shadow defects with the prior grading regimes, but the current one with Matt Nelson in charge tends to hit it a bit harder when the grading hammer comes down.  Not sure if this is actually true or not???  hm  (shrug)

18 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
18 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Its hideous, look away

Yeah I mean just pour a little Clorox on there and will clean it right off 👌.

Ummm..........you better be careful here as this is starting to touch on the political side here.  :gossip:

I said pretty much the same thing in another thread here on these boards, but made the mistake of using another 5-letter product name that started with "L" and ended in "sol" with a "y" in the middle and was promptly sent to the CGC sin bin by the overly sensitive Mod1 for a whole week to drive these evil and sinful thoughts out of my mind.  (tsk)  lol

My thinking is that if your Clorox suggestion doesn't work, you can always try this next:  lol

Scissors clip art cartoon Royalty Free Vector Image

On 1/14/2021 at 10:15 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Jeese, original art prices are nuts. I mean I get, these are the original covers, but crazy still.

Not as crazy as this OA strip which just sold for something like $3.8M and I am sure HA wish they had it in their auction:  :whatthe:  :luhv:

https://news.artnet.com/market/tintin-drawing-sets-comic-art-auction-record-1937240

Hergé, The Blue Lotus (1936). Photo courtesy of Artcurial.

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Very cool. Netting at least 2 million. Seems like a good time to do it for him. Very cool 

3 hours ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Really strange that he claims the book sat in a mylar the entire time until going off to Heritage.

No mention of the fact that it was originally graded a 9.0 more than a decade ago. Wonder why that part was left out?

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Really strange that he claims the book sat in a mylar the entire time until going off to Heritage.

No mention of the fact that it was originally graded a 9.0 more than a decade ago. Wonder why that part was left out?

Well ... if it worked for Adams' Action 1 9.0 white, it could also work for him. :wink:

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Well ... if it worked for Adams' Action 1 9.0 white, it could also work for him. :wink:

right.. I got my marketing fables wrong.  Adams used the cedar chest story, right? and someone else went with the attic.  Plus the proverbial stashed inside a wall tale!

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:
9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

right.. I got my marketing fables wrong.  Adams used the cedar chest story, right? and someone else went with the attic.  Plus the proverbial stashed inside a wall tale!

Not sure why they would run with only one when they could cover all bases by going with all three of them.  hm

My story would be found stored in a cedar chest inside the wall of an attic room.  That way, it'll be sure to get more money as it's going to surely pull at the heart strings of a much wider sentimental audience.  :flipbait:  lol

Edited by lou_fine