• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Turn Around Times
2 2

17 posts in this topic

I'm not here to criticize CGC about its turn-around times. I'm just curious what has led to such a drastic increase in the turn around times.

If I remember correctly, the turn around times in May were: Value - 60 days and Economy - 45 days. Don't quote me on this, because my memory isn't what it used to be.

Now we're in November, and Value has increased to 75 days and Economy has increased to 73 days. Due to the lack of cons from late spring until now, one would think that the turn around times would be decreasing, instead of increasing. Even if there was an increase in submissions mailed to CGC, I can't believe that this number would be larger than all the books that are submitted to CGC at cons. I remember the first time I went to C2E2; I thought that I would be able to walk over and drop my books off immediately. Boy, was I wrong. It was like a mad house at the CGC booth! Kudos to CGC for being to handle that massive influx of books that were submitted then.

A possible explanation could be COVID-19. If employees have contracted it or exposed to it, that meant at least a 14-day quarantine. If several employees got sick and/or were exposed, I'm sure that would lead to an increase in the amount of time for a book to be marked as received, as well as to be graded.

Does anyone else have a theory regarding with TATs have increased?

16 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I'm not here to criticize CGC about its turn-around times. I'm just curious what has led to such a drastic increase in the turn around times.

If I remember correctly, the turn around times in May were: Value - 60 days and Economy - 45 days. Don't quote me on this, because my memory isn't what it used to be.

Now we're in November, and Value has increased to 75 days and Economy has increased to 73 days. Due to the lack of cons from late spring until now, one would think that the turn around times would be decreasing, instead of increasing. Even if there was an increase in submissions mailed to CGC, I can't believe that this number would be larger than all the books that are submitted to CGC at cons. I remember the first time I went to C2E2; I thought that I would be able to walk over and drop my books off immediately. Boy, was I wrong. It was like a mad house at the CGC booth! Kudos to CGC for being to handle that massive influx of books that were submitted then.

A possible explanation could be COVID-19. If employees have contracted it or exposed to it, that meant at least a 14-day quarantine. If several employees got sick and/or were exposed, I'm sure that would lead to an increase in the amount of time for a book to be marked as received, as well as to be graded.

Does anyone else have a theory regarding with TATs have increased?

Increase in submission, very likely because everyone is bored at home, plus all these in-house signings, and finally in my opinion, an increase in CGC popularity. Lot's of new members here and on social media groups signing up.

Usually if there's an uptick in business you expect staff to grow, but we are not privy to that information.

Between July 1st and August 1st, the ship time for value and Economy was around ten days, as of right now they have not shipped my Economy order I sent on August 1st., so that means the actual ship date is yet to be determined.    A likely explanation would seem to be moving staff to a different department, different tier of books or different task.   Until they move people back to non fast track Economy and value tier unfortunately we could be looking at 2021 ship dates.

People are sitting on a lot of extra cash.  Instead of letting it sit in a savings account earning paltry rates, a comic collector can put their money to work by submitting books.  That's my theory plus what I've started to do since April.

7 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

I have had a submission "scheduled for grading" for weeks. 

Two of them entered that status at the same time.  One was graded, shipped, and has been here for 10 days.  The other is languishing.

Same tier if service?

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Same tier if service?

No, the completed one was Modern, the other is Value.  I know that it has a longer Turn, but these weren't SENT at the same time, just got Scheduled at the same time.  The Value had been there a while already.  It moved to Scheduled, and holding.  I guess there are a lot of jobs "Scheduled" in Value, or 1 lonely guy doing the grading.

49 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

No, the completed one was Modern, the other is Value.  I know that it has a longer Turn, but these weren't SENT at the same time, just got Scheduled at the same time.  The Value had been there a while already.  It moved to Scheduled, and holding.  I guess there are a lot of jobs "Scheduled" in Value, or 1 lonely guy doing the grading.

Scheduled is misleading. I think it just means the books have been verified as all present. 

16 hours ago, bobotski said:

Increase in submission, very likely because everyone is bored at home, plus all these in-house signings, and finally in my opinion, an increase in CGC popularity. Lot's of new members here and on social media groups signing up.

Usually if there's an uptick in business you expect staff to grow, but we are not privy to that information.

I think the in house signings have had a huge effect. After the J. Scott Campbell signing we had a modern take nearly 6 weeks (calendar days, I've stopped worrying about business days), and just a couple of weeks later a modern took 3 weeks. My guess was once the Campbell books were under control they could get back to normal subs and get those knocked out quicker.

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

I think the in house signings have had a huge effect. After the J. Scott Campbell signing we had a modern take nearly 6 weeks (calendar days, I've stopped worrying about business days), and just a couple of weeks later a modern took 3 weeks. My guess was once the Campbell books were under control they could get back to normal subs and get those knocked out quicker.

If you think about it a private signing could add 6 weeks to TAT's. CGC usually guarantees a 3 week guarantee if the books aren't pressed. The pressed books are 6 weeks. So after the non-pressed moderns are done, the pressed books hit the graders desks. I am hoping that other tiers are not put on hold, but the only ones who knows is the CGC staff.

Just now, joeypost said:

If you think about it a private signing could add 6 weeks to TAT's. CGC usually guarantees a 3 week guarantee if the books aren't pressed. The pressed books are 6 weeks. So after the non-pressed moderns are done, the pressed books hit the graders desks. I am hoping that other tiers are not put on hold, but the only ones who knows is the CGC staff.

Absolutely true. But I would think that the books going to CCS would be a much smaller percentage, so (usually) less of a ripple effect on TATs.

Unfortunately I just send them in and wait- i try not to even estimate my wait- they arrive when they arrive. I am usually happy with the grades and Ive learned not to be obsessed with the wait. You could say I have been conditioned

On 11/23/2020 at 6:40 PM, bobotski said:

All the things you've listed would appear to be a factor. And since many folks are working from home these days, it has undoubtedly affected the normal day-to-day operation...

On 11/24/2020 at 12:20 PM, joeypost said:

From everything I've heard, they're swamped...