• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller asking for phone number for shipping?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Won a book on eBay; the seller messaged me that to send the book expedited shipping from Canada to the US they need my phone number.  I have never in over 1000 purchases on eBay had somebody request my number; and on closer inspection I realize their feedback (which I forgot to check before the auction) is 0. 

Is this something legitimate; or should I just wash my hands of the whole mess?

Frequently international orders require a phone number, as do some ground shipments (like if you used UPS).  Usually your phone number is in the sales order info, but maybe you never provided it to eBay in general,  I know if I ship to Canada with my label service, Pirate Ship, it will require a phone number. 

You also have to consider that you have a new seller who may not know how to find your number in the order, if it is there.  I don't think providing the phone number is too ominous. 

On some purchases I make, it will show in red that it needs the phone number.  I just select one of my shipping addresses that is set up with the phone number.  I don't use that address with the phone number regularly, but will if they ask.

Edited by Lightning55

16 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Won a book on eBay; the seller messaged me that to send the book expedited shipping from Canada to the US they need my phone number.  I have never in over 1000 purchases on eBay had somebody request my number; and on closer inspection I realize their feedback (which I forgot to check before the auction) is 0. 

Is this something legitimate; or should I just wash my hands of the whole mess?

Give them Greggy's number.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

Dont encourage him :makepoint:

Not like you haven't :baiting:. If I want to feed the bear it's my own fault.QY5WJIaK29RU4.gif.05af44f19621662a4814ec6ffb3fdbf6.gif

It wasn't like I was standing outside his window playing careless whisper.1571307874_Screenshot_20190602-1741302.png.f11e6945e1441b08a6c6ccb755320a85.png

Besides, what is it you always say? 

I can do what I want.:makepoint:

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

1 hour ago, vheflin said:

I always always always give my phone # when buying and selling online

I'll give it now!

867-5309 call anytime

1 hour ago, wilbil said:

and my number is 8675309, you can call me up and have a date, any old time...

(showing my age).

tenor.gif?itemid=12387900 :insane: 

6 minutes ago, wilbil said:

lol much older than that movie, though.

know the song i am referring to? it was fairly popular back then. in this age, i would not be surprised if it was banned.

yes jenny jenny who can I turn to? for the price of a dime I can always turn to you :x 

But yes older than forest gump ha!