• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anybody tired of all these "coverless" comics on Ebay?

28 posts in this topic

It appears that Ebay has been inundated with these incomplete comics and I am sick of it!!! And why do they put a fake cover on a comic and call it coverless? If you put a rebuilt engine in a car, you don't call it engineless. The whole thing is ridiculous. It seems like that half of the golden age on Ebay have fake covers. Bring back the complete comics please!!!!!

15 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I think there is a stronger interest in "parts" as prices have gone up on GA. 

I'm happy to see them. 

Also,  great chance to grab books on the cheap and read them! Lots of cool atomic age and PCH out there.

Coverless.  Pages.  Covers.  All in play now.  Big money being spent on all.  

1 hour ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

It appears that Ebay has been inundated with these incomplete comics and I am sick of it!!! And why do they put a fake cover on a comic and call it coverless? If you put a rebuilt engine in a car, you don't call it engineless. The whole thing is ridiculous. It seems like that half of the golden age on Ebay have fake covers. Bring back the complete comics please!!!!!

I’m not sure that’s a justifiable comparison. Not every industry applies the same logic. Agreed you wouldn’t call a car with a rebuilt engine engineless, but it just happens to be the case that a fake cover on a coverless book adds nothing to the original book as it’s a fake cover. So still considered coverless. It’s basically just eye candy.

Anyway, I have no problem with coverless books. Can’t control what exists haha. All you coverless owners, how dare you sell your comics!

2 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

Are you asking for coverless comics to magically have the original covers replaced? If a seller has a coverless or otherwise incomplete comic to sell are you saying they shouldn't offer it for sale on ebay? Not sure what you're getting at.

If your problem is with the repro covers then I get that. Not a fan myself unless it's to make a poster.

When I was a kid in In Nebraska there was a place that used to strip covers off comic books. I don’t know what they use the covers for but I believe the rationale was that people really didn’t care about the covers they only cared about what was inside. It was literally a machine that you’d put the Comics through and it would take the covers off.  

57 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Are you asking for coverless comics to magically have the original covers replaced? If a seller has a coverless or otherwise incomplete comic to sell are you saying they shouldn't offer it for sale on ebay? Not sure what you're getting at.

If your problem is with the repro covers then I get that. Not a fan myself unless it's to make a poster.

Could you please make that a reality for my Tec 27???!!! I would love to have the cover magically reappear 😂

Edited by LDarkseid1

Not sure if this is the OP's point exactly, but there are a lot of coverless GA on ebay now that get confusing at a glance because the pic with the repro cover looks good but the text/headline says coverless. Makes quick scanning a bit more difficult, but I am getting used to it. I get that its supposed to be a form of marketing to show that nice picture but I am now just blowing past them. I would rather see the coverless book in the first pic to understand its condition; the quality of the repro cover could be shown in a subsequent pic. But hey, maybe its working for the seller and I'm in the minority. 

3 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

I feel your pain. I want a kinder, gentler ebay. Lets make ebay great again. 

I think the majority of people here don't care much for reproduction covers either but some books covers haven't survived 70 or 80+ years. So its either keep them, throw them out, or sell them.

3 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

I don't mind them, I buy and sell coverless golden age books. The single pages on the other hand, yea, that's pretty much out of control. Selling pages that aren't anything really ... Superman's 30th appearance ... Batman's first time he does whatever ... etc.

I love seeing more coverless comics come to market with reproduction covers - it helps encourage many that they can get into golden age collecting, as it makes certain expensive issues more palatable in price (especially if the cover wasn't the main draw before, for example Worlds Finest #3 - cover is meh, but it is the 1st Scarecrow appearance). It also gives the rest of us decent price points for those sales, as it basically is the lowest any book can ever expected to go (complete and no other issues)

However 99% of the reproductions you get with these issues are garbage, though still fine for a casual collection, but since I'm a graphic designer who does his own printing I can't stand the quality (and so make my own)

But regarding OP. They are still coverless as nearly ALL of these comics come with the copy UNATTACHED. In all my searching I have yet to find any cover attached to the book since it risks damaging the book/staples more. So technically still coverless.

Edited by Sauce Dog

As long as the word "coverless" appears in the title, it's no biggie. It's odd that there's been a spike in such auctions, mainly from two or three sellers, often relisting the same books.

As someone said, you get used to it. If it's a pain it's easy enough to filter such auctions out.

50 minutes ago, Courageous Cat said:

the bigger question here is will these faux covers ever be a threat to the hobby. Some are just mind-blowing perfect

I would love to see an example of one of these mind-blowing perfect ones, as I have yet to see any the come anywhere close to replicating the original. Everyone has at least two-three of the following issues:

- Images sourced from online that are either woefully low in resolution, or contain image artifacts in the compression (not drum scanned from an original)
- Sourced images mis-assembled, with the inside and outside covers misaligned to how they would have appeared in the original press print
- Defects such as creases, stains, dust, all remain in the source image (which allows you to trace back where they got it from) never having been cleaned up
- Printed in a manner that isn't accurate to how the inks would appear (inkjet printing / digital printing and not an off-set run. To date I think I'm the only person who has prepped a reproduction cover with separate CMYK color plates for a press run)
- Colors are off
- and the most common: Paper that in no way even remotely matches the weight, gloss, bend, or texture of the original (even I've failed to replicate this exactly, I got close but it is pretty much impossible for my pay grade. Took me months to get 'close enough' to the original World's Finest cardboard stock)

Basically, any of these covers are obvious to be fake when looking at them close up - and handling them 100% gives it away (Magic cards are closer to being fully faked, but event the best can be detected in hand still). I've tried purchasing multiple reproductions from several sources online, all too test where the industry was at.

Edited by Sauce Dog

TLDR: reproductions are, as of right now NOT, nor will ever be for decades, any sort of threat to the hobby (nor are they close to being any sort of real issue). Maybe will some trick some newbies, sure, to everyone else who knows better it is very, very obvious.

Edited by Sauce Dog

1 hour ago, waaaghboss said:

Wow, the splash page of my Headline #9 looks like that?  Maybe I should rip the cover off of it...lol

16552578085_dacbeee296_c.jpg