• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anybody tired of all these "coverless" comics on Ebay?

28 posts in this topic

Obviously I want all original comics but if a really hard to find issue came up with a repro cover but complete interior Id be inclined to buy. Parts and pieces are sometimes the only way to get some of these books. Heck if anything I wish there were more coverless books and more covers only for sale. Means some books could be Frankensteined to create decent complete reader copies!

10 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

It appears that Ebay has been inundated with these incomplete comics and I am sick of it!!! And why do they put a fake cover on a comic and call it coverless? If you put a rebuilt engine in a car, you don't call it engineless. The whole thing is ridiculous. It seems like that half of the golden age on Ebay have fake covers. Bring back the complete comics please!!!!!

I know the seller you are refering to. About the only thing that bothers me are the constant relisting at crazy prices.

I have no problem with coverless comics, parts, covers and the like. As has been said, sometimes it is a way for those with patience and on a budget to marry up books they wouldn't ordinarily be able to afford. A real, thrill as well to finally find that missing centerfold or cover for a book you have hung onto for a long time. But they need to priced realisticaly.

I have a couple of boxes of coverless GA books. Sometimes, I just get tired of looking for parts or I find a complete copy. I then make a nice front cover laser and slip it into the bag. These get thrown in low grade show boxes with full disclosure. I sell them as coverless books. The repro covers are just for reference. Some go for very little and some a bit more. I can attest that these sell briskly at shows especially stuff like PCH to guys that just want to read them.

There are loads of complete books on Ebay. But coverless/incomplete books have their place as well.

The demand for coverless and incomplete parts of incredibly desirable books has grown considerably over the years.

There’s no wrong answer here, but for many, it comes down to condition or content. Would you rather have a single page of Action Comics #1 or a complete low grade copy of Action Comics #2, or a complete mid-grade Action Comics #23, or a complete high grade Action Comics #40?

There has been a big push for content > condition and for that reason, coverless/incomplete books come to the market.

I prefer true coverless vs. reproduction covers. I’d rather appreciate the original interior art than a quality reproduction of something grander. Original covers are coveted for good reason.

Many years ago a quality repro cover was difficult to do.  Now it's easy as hehl, so I see no added benefit from a repro being included with a coverless book, much less using the repro cover to hide the actual genuine interior you're buying.  

What bothers me more is that the prices have gotten so high for parts there seems to be little to no point in attempting to complete something.  Once in a while I see something which sparks a memory and makes me think "wait, would that complete my copy?" and then I look at the price and say "doesn't matter if it would because the price of this part by itself is more than I'd expect to get if I put it with my incomplete book and ended up with a complete married copy". 

Twenty years ago, ya almost never saw coverless, at least in the GA crime and horror forums on eBay.  The stratospheric prices they are asking these days, however, for complete books in these genres, would naturally pull up coverless copies as having some market value as well.

Awhile back, I bought a coverless copy of This Magazine is Haunted, #3, an almost impossible book to find in complete form.  I then bought a repro cover for it.

A few years ago, I bought a copy of Weird Mysteries #5, with about half of the original front cover, and none of the back.  I later bought a complete repro cover for it.

In the '50's, I bought a coverless copy of Mad #1.  A few years back, I bought a repro cover for it.

These are all in my collection, and staying there.  And I have NP with what I have.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:29 PM, Robot Man said:

I know the seller you are refering to. About the only thing that bothers me are the constant relisting at crazy prices.

I have no problem with coverless comics, parts, covers and the like. As has been said, sometimes it is a way for those with patience and on a budget to marry up books they wouldn't ordinarily be able to afford. A real, thrill as well to finally find that missing centerfold or cover for a book you have hung onto for a long time. But they need to priced realisticaly.

I have a couple of boxes of coverless GA books. Sometimes, I just get tired of looking for parts or I find a complete copy. I then make a nice front cover laser and slip it into the bag. These get thrown in low grade show boxes with full disclosure. I sell them as coverless books. The repro covers are just for reference. Some go for very little and some a bit more. I can attest that these sell briskly at shows especially stuff like PCH to guys that just want to read them.

There are loads of complete books on Ebay. But coverless/incomplete books have their place as well.

The only issue I have is once I finally do marry a book (which is a fun adventure) 9 times out of 10 I wind up with something that value wise would sell for less than what it would have been if I had just purchased a low grade complete to start with.

In the meanwhile, check my sig like for wanted parts.(:

Edited by path4play