• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanna read every EC and Batman book?....Look

48 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, squidmo2000 said:

Don't make me Dolomite kung foo you to the neck!....lol..

In the world of kung fu, speed defines the winner.

2 hours ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

True!  Only the brick and mortar stores have been gutted!  :wink:

Pretty sure the talent is earning more than ever for the numbers they push, all the while many of us have stopped paying to legally listen to music altogether. If someone loses a Tower for it, so be it.

2 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Pretty sure the talent is earning more than ever for the numbers they push, all the while many of us have stopped paying to legally listen to music altogether. If someone loses a Tower for it, so be it.

I'm not sure if comic store owners would feel the same way.  Musicians make the bulk of their money touring.  They've yet to pirate the live experience, so that's why concert tickets are such an exorbitant sum.  It's the one place artists can be sure to get paid.  https://investinganswers.com/articles/who-really-profits-your-itunes-downloads

Edited by Coverless 9.8

3 hours ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

I'm not sure if comic store owners would feel the same way.  Musicians make the bulk of their money touring.  They've yet to pirate the live experience, so that's why concert tickets are such an exorbitant sum.  It's the one place artists can be sure to get paid.  https://investinganswers.com/articles/who-really-profits-your-itunes-downloads

iTunes is far from the only place artists market their product. Maybe not even the primary place anymore. There’s kids making rap videos for YouTube earning millions per year. As far as shop owners are concerned, they have to stay competitive or sell something else. We don’t have independent butchers, a milkman, or a local shoemaker anymore and nobody mourns the loss. If I get my product cheaper and more efficiently while at the same time the creator getting paid more, it’s a win-win for me

6 hours ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

Working musician here, and you have it backwards.  It used to be that the bulk of a musician's income was from record sales.  Tours were to sell albums -- remember seeing your favorite band for $12 as recently as the early nineties?  Two things flip-flopped that model: 1) Big corporate sponsorship of major tours, once they realized that people would still pay $30, $50, or even $100 to see their favorite act.  2) Music piracy, starting with Napster, which drove album sales down to a secondary revenue stream.  As a corollary, its why buying a t-shirt at that concert will set you back $40.

Edited by RonS2112

9 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

Working musician here, and you have it backwards.  It used to be that the bulk of a musician's income was from record sales.  Tours were to sell albums -- remember seeing your favorite band for $12 as recently as the early nineties?  Two things flip-flopped that model: 1) Big corporate sponsorship of major tours, once they realized that people would still pay $30, $50, or even $100 to see their favorite act.  2) Music piracy, starting with Napster, which drove album sales down to a secondary revenue stream.  As a corollary, its why buying a t-shirt at that concert will set you back $40.

What's backwards?  I said musicians make the bulk of their money touring and you said musicians make the bulk of their money touring.  Also, I like Rush too!  Moving Pictures and earlier!  :wink:

12 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

iTunes is far from the only place artists market their product. Maybe not even the primary place anymore. There’s kids making rap videos for YouTube earning millions per year. As far as shop owners are concerned, they have to stay competitive or sell something else. We don’t have independent butchers, a milkman, or a local shoemaker anymore and nobody mourns the loss. If I get my product cheaper and more efficiently while at the same time the creator getting paid more, it’s a win-win for me

Taking it back to comic book piracy, perhaps I'm being myopic, but I don't think people reading books for free online is resulting in the creators being paid more.  If the business model is in transition to something else, it will have to be different than the music business as collectors, speculators and some readers demand physical copies.  

17 minutes ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

Taking it back to comic book piracy, perhaps I'm being myopic, but I don't think people reading books for free online is resulting in the creators being paid more.  If the business model is in transition to something else, it will have to be different than the music business as collectors, speculators and some readers demand physical copies.  

Not all digital distribution is piracy.not once have I advocated piracy here. Like I said, I listen to all my music via YouTube these days, which is perfectly legal and very lucrative for music acts. More lucrative per unit than record sales were in the pre-I termed age I believe, based on the fact D list nobodies who never had a song on the radio and have yet to release a full album seem to be richer today than A list studio backed acts in the 90’s were. I actually don’t even own a single CD or a CD player anywhere in the house or either of my cars anymore.I couldn’t listen to a CD if I had one. Haven’t bought one in a decade or more. It is not a creators responsibility to cater to resellers. If they market their product digitally and make more money by cheaper distribution and a global audience, so be it. There’s nothing to slab, nothing to flip. Nothing for a publisher, distributor, retailer, or collector to take a cut of the profit from. Do you think the creator cares? As long as they get paid and I get entertained every single person between me and the creator can be cut out of the equation. 

Edited by dupont2005

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

Not all digital distribution is piracy.not once have I advocated piracy here. Like I said, I listen to all my music via YouTube these days, which is perfectly legal and very lucrative for music acts. More lucrative per unit than record sales were in the pre-I termed age I believe, based on the fact D list nobodies who never had a song on the radio and have yet to release a full album seem to be richer today than A list studio backed acts in the 90’s were. I actually don’t even own a single CD or a CD player anywhere in the house or either of my cars anymore.I couldn’t listen to a CD if I had one. Haven’t bought one in a decade or more. It is not a creators responsibility to cater to resellers. If they market their product digitally and make more money by cheaper distribution and a global audience, so be it. There’s nothing to slab, nothing to flip. Nothing for a publisher, distributor, retailer, or collector to take a cut of the profit from. Do you think the creator cares? As long as they get paid and I get entertained every single person between me and the creator can be cut out of the equation. 

D list nobodies are richer today than A list studio backed acts were in the 90's?!  Which D lister today makes more money than Mariah Carey did then?  For the nobodies YouTube may well be the bee's knees but for established artists touring is the only way to make the revenue that they once made from recorded music.  Now if they could only find a digital way to get a free t-shirt. :wink:

4 minutes ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

D list nobodies are richer today than A list studio backed acts were in the 90's?!  Which D lister today makes more money than Mariah Carey did then?  For the nobodies YouTube may well be the bee's knees but for established artists touring is the only way to make the revenue that they once made from recorded music.  Now if they could only find a digital way to get a free t-shirt. :wink:

I can tell you’re struggling to understand how I can listen to a song for free and the artist still get paid, but it’s the way it is now. And their contracts are far friendlier than they were in the past. Lil Pump today is worth *40 times* what 2pac was worth when he died. 2pac had released 4 multi platinum selling albums and been in a handful of movies and twenty five music videos as lead artist before his death and toured sold out stadiums worldwide. Lil Pump has two albums, neither went platinum. I picked Lil Pump because he’s about as obscure an artist I’ve ever heard of, never heard a single song of his, never seen a single video. The only thing I know is he’s been a meme a handful of times and he looks funny

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I can tell you’re struggling to understand how I can listen to a song for free and the artist still get paid, but it’s the way it is now. And their contracts are far friendlier than they were in the past. Lil Pump today is worth *40 times* what 2pac was worth when he died. 2pac had released 4 multi platinum selling albums and been in a handful of movies and twenty five music videos as lead artist before his death and toured sold out stadiums worldwide. Lil Pump has two albums, neither went platinum. I picked Lil Pump because he’s about as obscure an artist I’ve ever heard of, never heard a single song of his, never seen a single video. The only thing I know is he’s been a meme a handful of times and he looks funny

My example was Mariah Carey not 2-Pac, but so be it.  I'm not struggling to understand the new business model at all.  Advertisements on YouTube videos, etc. are a significant revenue stream for some performers.  It looks like from a peak $444,000.00 in 9/18 he's dropped to $18,200.00 for 10/20.  Looks like Pump better hit the road and bring lots of t-$hirts too!  As for the modern music business, as Sonny and Cher once sang, The Beat Goes On!  

On 11/25/2020 at 1:41 AM, kav said:

Its incredible.  I've been reading weirdo and early issues of strange adventures.  they have moderns, everything.  Once in a while an obscure GA title wont be there but its pretty thorough.

I’m really spoiled by that site. I love being able to say “Ok, I’ve put off reading “the Boys” for long enough... I should do it now... and knowing it’s just all right there.  I will say, as a companion to that site I often search for “complete reading order” for a particular title... so that way you know where to diverge for annuals, crossovers, etc, if you really want the whole story.  I wish I could provide a single link, but some reading orders are better than others for different titles, so normally I comparison shop a bit on each run.  But they’re helpful links to have if you’re delving into a new title.