• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smudged Signature

10 posts in this topic

I recently had a book signed at CGC, the service has always been a great.

However this time I got a smudge on my Bagley signature. ( I have attached photos)

It's very obvious, and I feel devalues the book and makes it unsellable.

I paid quite a bit of money, and everyone is telling me that I just have to accept it?

Has anyone else run across this issue?

I would love to hear some thoughts on what I could do or what others have done.

62492688886__4AE08901-E236-4FCA-9A8B-C6F13A5A3B47.jpg

2 hours ago, Old School Josh said:

No offense, but that book was "unsellable" before it was signed and slabbed.  It's not a notable key issue, was probably produced in large quantities, and a quick ebay search shows recent sales below $5.  It's probably something I could find in the dollar bin at my local shop.  That said, it's a nice clean cover that represents Bagley's Spider-Man pretty well.  I'm not sure what you expect CGC to do about it as it looks like it was smudged during signing.  Personally, I think you should be happy that it's so big and legible.

Well, I like both artist in Bagley and De la Rosa, and since they worked on it together, I chose to have it slabbed and signed. If it's a cheap book and not a key issue that does not change the fact that I paid to have it signed, and it just was not done right. Throw out the fact that the book is of low value. What if it was your expensive key issue,and this happen?

As far as CGC goes, I dont really know what they could have done about it, but doing nothing is not the answer. When you get paid for something you are the responsible party.

I realize I am stuck with it, it just bums me out that a entire team of people saw this and did not care it was not right.

9 minutes ago, Old School Josh said:

Well, I like both artist in Bagley and De la Rosa, and since they worked on it together, I chose to have it slabbed and signed. If it's a cheap book and not a key issue that does not change the fact that I paid to have it signed, and it just was not done right. Throw out the fact that the book is of low value. What if it was your expensive key issue,and this happen?

As far as CGC goes, I dont really know what they could have done about it, but doing nothing is not the answer. When you get paid for something you are the responsible party.

I realize I am stuck with it, it just bums me out that a entire team of people saw this and did not care it was not right.

My point of contention was specifically about the "unsellable" comment.  If someone had the book signed specifically with the intent to flip it and sell it, then there is truth to the statement that it was unsellable to begin with.  As the book is for your personal collection, it seems irrelevant to comment on resale value and instead the main focus should be your personal attachment to the book.  I agree, it sucks to not have a book exactly the way you want it but there's nothing CGC could do about it.  The signing event probably involved hundreds of books and in the split second when Bagley signs the book and the smudge is spotted, it's far too late for anything to be done.  I mean, what's CGC supposed to say?  "Uh hey Mark, can you please be mindful of smudges when you sign?"

5 hours ago, Old School Josh said:

I recently had a book signed at CGC, the service has always been a great.

However this time I got a smudge on my Bagley signature. ( I have attached photos)

I paid quite a bit of money, and everyone is telling me that I just have to accept it?

Has anyone else run across this issue?

I would love to hear some thoughts on what I could do or what others have done.

62492688886__4AE08901-E236-4FCA-9A8B-C6F13A5A3B47.jpg

If you could have your wish granted, what would you like CGC to do for you?

It's a low value book and if it has meaning to you, the smudge isn't all that bad. Bagley has signed thousands of Spidey books. The number with smudges is pretty low.

It sucks that it happened, but life is full of minor disappointments. F.I.D.O.

Better photos are needed before I agree that there is a smudge.

As for making it unsellable, that book has AT MAX a $40-50 value. Don't complain here. Contact CGC, tell them, show them proof and ask for your money back. Or, ask them to grade and sign another book you have. They are generally quite good at customer service.

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Better photos are needed before I agree that there is a smudge.

As for making it unsellable, that book has AT MAX a $40-50 value. Don't complain here. Contact CGC, tell them, show them proof and ask for your money back. Or, ask them to grade and sign another book you have. They are generally quite good at customer service.

But also don’t be surprised if they can’t do anything about it. 
if they do something for you, it might set a precedent where they have to do something for the guy getting his AF15 signed and smudged by 90-year old Stan lee(rip, you get the point).  It’s an inherent risk in getting your book signed that the signer may damage the condition of your book, and there’s very likely some language to that effect in the agreement.

And sometimes that sucks, especially you paid and got something subpar.  But what makes sense to Cgc from a business perspective?

43 minutes ago, revat said:

But also don’t be surprised if they can’t do anything about it. 
if they do something for you, it might set a precedent where they have to do something for the guy getting his AF15 signed and smudged by 90-year old Stan lee(rip, you get the point).  It’s an inherent risk in getting your book signed that the signer may damage the condition of your book, and there’s very likely some language to that effect in the agreement.

And sometimes that sucks, especially you paid and got something subpar.  But what makes sense to Cgc from a business perspective?

You are right, the artist rubbing against the fresh ink is something that you run the risk of when getting a signature. Also, the pen could explode ink all over. Freak accident but could happen and who is at fault? 

Clearly BIC permanent markers. Sue them!