• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“The Heck Is All This Drek?” Mystery Boxes
2 2

55 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Each box is only $75 shipped. That’s $75 for a maybe $25 value! Why gamble and lose when you can choose to!?!?!

You've just summarized the lottery and scratch-off games which are legal (and quite successful) in most states. 

19 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I say this because they've won some cool stuff, and several boardies have actually acquired the chase of the mystery boxes, wasnt saying it as a bad thing. :)

I’m sure it happens. But with my boxes you know it won’t happen. Yet the allure is still there.....maybe he’s crazy enough to slip in an ASM 300. Maybe. I won’t. But maybe. 

Im just trying to corner this side of the market. Those I provide the same experience that a lot of mystery box buyers get and I ONLY sell that experience. I’m hopeful to become a leader in this area and to see a lot of growth especially with holiday season approaching.

Also I hope Jim uploads his video soon to really give everyone a sense of what I have to offer the comic community.

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

to bad you couldn't just pull brand new comics off the shelves ,,,,you would be giving out pure drek but it would cost too much...

I mean there is a chance one of those random books today becomes of value in the future. Not enough research has been done. Last thing I want is a customer getting a book that in five years has an optioned movie and can be flipped on eBay for $100 if done so within a four week period from the announcement dropping on some website.

Im not willing to sacrifice my brand for that im sorry.

While I agree with the sentiment of this thread, there are actually some honest "grab bag" sellers out there. A grab bag is how I acquired my Avengers 1. I had only been back collecting for a short time when that happened, and it made me realize that I could collect the entire run, and really pumped up my enthusiasm about collecting. I thought I should post this to let others know there are still legitimate people running some of these things. I don't think I'm the only person who's ever won the grand prize in one of them.

Besides, if you have the extra money, and a reputable dealer lists one that you couldn't afford to buy outright, why not take a chance? Who knows? It was a big thrill for me to open that package.

1 hour ago, Pat Thomas said:

While I agree with the sentiment of this thread, there are actually some honest "grab bag" sellers out there. A grab bag is how I acquired my Avengers 1. I had only been back collecting for a short time when that happened, and it made me realize that I could collect the entire run, and really pumped up my enthusiasm about collecting. I thought I should post this to let others know there are still legitimate people running some of these things. I don't think I'm the only person who's ever won the grand prize in one of them.

Besides, if you have the extra money, and a reputable dealer lists one that you couldn't afford to buy outright, why not take a chance? Who knows? It was a big thrill for me to open that package.

I'm here to eliminate the thrill. I get that other mystery boxes provide that. Mine are targeted toward the feeling of being let down, which many experience. If they are willing to gamble and experience this feeling, I figure some will pay outright for it. $225 in sales and counting! Get your orders in now, STILL 99 BOXES LEFT!

Okay, so I recognize my mystery boxes may be lacking. Yes, I am provided around 10-12 comics and even a sticker you can personalize, I could still offer more.

So I am here to announce our first ever art prints! Support young artist Samantha, who is 8 years old! Right now she wants to be an artist (yesterday it was a firefighter and the day before that, a ballerina) but I am as sure as she is that this will be her calling. Imagine in 15-20 years when she is some hotshot at Marvel/DC and YOU have one of her original first ever drawn superheroes! Now, I know what you are thinking...."you promised trash and drek that would forever be!" And I will stand by that in terms of the comics. But I think the art prints are something that go well. Plus the calculated risk is still there that young Samantha takes another career path, so I do feel safe that the drek quality will persist for all of time.

Anyways, enough of the nitty gritty. Here is this month's print!

image.png.804c76fa9cd218042108858cb7e82594.png

I think it is Spider-Woman...maybe Spider-Man...heck it could be Dobby dressed as Spider-Man and you KNOW it is only a matter of time before Disney owns Harry Potter, thus a Harry Potter/Marvel crossover and man, this could really be something when that all happens!

Edited by comicginger1789

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

You've just summarized the lottery and scratch-off games which are legal (and quite successful) in most states. 

At least there is transparency and tracking with the lottery system.  You can check winning numbers, see how many people won the given lotter that day on the web site, even photos of people claiming their winnings when they agree to (scratch offs too).  

These mystery box things can be complete B.S. with no oversight.   Buyer beware as the saying goes. 

3 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Buyer beware as the saying goes. 

But my buyers are totally aware! I mean, I have one guy who agreed that what I said was what he got, another who had TP in an emergency and a third person who provided words of support for the terribleness of our box. I mean, the dissatisfaction is something I really don't want to lose.

Also, for those wondering what my "angle" is here, it is just for laughs. I love mystery boxes. But I think there are aspects of them/unboxing videos that are humorous and the failed comedian in me wanted to have some fun.

Maybe Jim will do some future unboxings and become a Youtube speculator with some really REALLY deep takes on what the next hot books could be. 

4 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

@comicginger1789 will you accept returns with full refunds (minus a $75 restocking fee)?

Actually my restocking fee is higher because my 2 year old son is now in charge of that. He is very smart but often times get distracted mid-restock (a stuffed animal needs playing with, he's hungry...you know). So I end up having to pay him 2 days worth of wage, which works out to $100. That would be the restocking fee.

I really hope you don't plan on returning. It is more work for me and more dissatisfaction for you which you would think I would want but I can only give so much. 

I won't lie, I watched that unboxing video out of the lingering fear that something I actually collect, on purpose, would appear in this drekkiest of packages. Thankfully, no. Low-grade run filler and Hell's Angel are beneath even me.

I will note that there was one almost interesting book in that. That 1997 Book of the Tarot (by Caliber, under the Tome Press imprint) has some fairly neat Major Arcana illustrations by not-terrible guest artists. It's certainly nothing worth collecting in that beaten and battered condition, though. If anyone decides to care about this thing, Caliber/Tome released two versions of the book, one with that black and red cover and a $3.95 cover price, the other with a black and green cover and a $4.95 cover price. In my experience, the $3.95 book is more common but tends to present in worse condition.

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  That’s why I was giving the OP some advice on modifying the selection, as, disappointingly, the standard is still way too high.

We aren’t yet staring fully into the abyss. Work needs to be done.

In the video I can still see some quite readable books making it through.

Your feedback is much appreciated. The Drek Analysis Theory About Selecting Stuff (DATASS for short) took time to develop. Maybe I should allow other to tap into DATASS and add their own suggestions. Allowing as many people to look at DATASS would be helpful. 

2 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I won't lie, I watched that unboxing video out of the lingering fear that something I actually collect, on purpose, would appear in this drekkiest of packages. Thankfully, no. Low-grade run filler and Hell's Angel are beneath even me.

I will note that there was one almost interesting book in that. That 1997 Book of the Tarot (by Caliber, under the Tome Press imprint) has some fairly neat Major Arcana illustrations by not-terrible guest artists. It's certainly nothing worth collecting in that beaten and battered condition, though. If anyone decides to care about this thing, Caliber/Tome released two versions of the book, one with that black and red cover and a $3.95 cover price, the other with a black and green cover and a $4.95 cover price. In my experience, the $3.95 book is more common but tends to present in worse condition.

Can I hire you on as a consultant for an app I want to create? It is kind of the opposite of all the others (again, an area left untapped) and would only focus on providing as much info as possible on the drekkiest of drek. I can't pay you but you can happoly have your choice of drek before it gets put into boxes. That way, even the best drek will be gone thus improving the boxes overall lack of quality.

Maybe then Ken would become a customer. 

9 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Can I hire you on as a consultant for an app I want to create? It is kind of the opposite of all the others (again, an area left untapped) and would only focus on providing as much info as possible on the drekkiest of drek. I can't pay you but you can happoly have your choice of drek before it gets put into boxes. That way, even the best drek will be gone thus improving the boxes overall lack of quality.

Maybe then Ken would become a customer. 

ROFL. Well, I'm happy to provide information about... whatever I have information about. I probably am more familiar with modern indie books than mental health professionals recommend.