• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rich's 6th Annual Black Friday sales thread! Featuring SILVER & BRONZE AGE KEYS---Signature Series, action figs, Marvel production proofs!
11 11

364 posts in this topic

House of Mystery #203 CGC 9.0 s/s Russ Heath - $325

(interestingly enough, there's only one s/s book higher at 9.2)

I only own two Russ Heath s/s books (the other in the next post).  I didn't know him as well as my fellow facilitator, Jessie C., but I did get to meet him once at SDCC many years ago.His work is legendary, I wish I had more.  This comes from my phase many years ago of collecting bronze age horror, specifically DC books.  I have a pretty big assortment of Ghosts, Witching Hour, HoM, HoS in the raw realm of 9.2 to 9.6, depending.  Didn't grade much of it, but focused HEAVY  on Phantom Stranger at the time.  Put together an almost full run!

hom203.jpg

Edited by Rich_Henn

House of Secrets #98 CGC 8.5 s/s Mike Kaluta - $245

Lone one and only s/s in the census

Again, I know---it's not the book or grade, so much as what the book IS per se.  Kaluta signature (of which I think I only own four) and since Desert Wind was the only person that could get him during their legends of the fall tours (and even then, it was only once every couple years).  I just don't see a window of opportunity opening again anytime soon.

hos98.jpg

Giant Size Man Thing #1 CGC 6.0 s/s Mike Ploog - $275

Again, not the book---it's who's on the book. History on Ploog---there was a spotting at SDCC something like 18 years ago or so.  A few got done.  I don't think anyone really knew he was there.  But Ploog lives in the UK (and not in the best of health).  There have been virtually zero convention appearances due to all these circumstances.

I did a mail away back in 2012 with the help of a really good friend.  I don't have many, but I do have this and one other to share.

giantsizemanthing1.jpg

I know it's a reprint, but still-----JACK DAVIS!   (I've been in this for a looooong time, and I genuinely don't know of many Jack Davis s/s books.  Hats off to Brian Kondravy (chainnball on the boards) for getting this done almost 10 years ago!

Tales from the Crypt #19 CGC 9.4 s/s Jack Davis - $345  

Reprint, 1997 

Again, it's the signature not so much the book.  I only own two Jack Davis s/s books, this is one.

crypt19.jpg

Edited by Rich_Henn

Gargoyle #3 CGC 9.8 s/s J. M DeMatteis & Dan Green - $95

Lone one and only s/s copy in the census.

And if you do enough shows, you know that Dan Green is the dodo bird of the circuit.  Good luck finding him!  I know of just two, MAYBE three cons in the last 20 years.

gargoyle3.jpg