• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rich's 6th Annual Black Friday sales thread! Featuring SILVER & BRONZE AGE KEYS---Signature Series, action figs, Marvel production proofs!
11 11

364 posts in this topic

Back in the early 90s, I did pre-press production for Marvel Comics.  Part of my job was working hand in glove with various editors and artists during the development of the comic books.  Multiple production proofs to show color were produced and sent back and forth between myself and Marvel until final approval.  At which point, film was produced for the printer, and the final proofs would ship with the film.  The other proofs that were produced leading up to final approval, were often thrown away.  The appeal of these proofs were they were very much like animation cells.  Four layers of acetate making up the four colors of printing.  When laid on top of each other, you were able to visualize the final product.  True one of a kind items, as no two proofs were ever exactly alike due to corrections to color or type made along the way. Some complete with actual editor notes.  I salvaged some of my favorites.

TOY STORY #1 cover  - $225

toystoryA.jpg

toystoryB.jpg

Edited by Rich_Henn

From DAREDEVIL #326, pages 20 & 23.   Artwork by Scott McDaniel.  These are what we call "contact prints" and are made from the original artwork. These are TO SCALE.

Both are uncut on the same sheet of contact paper.  The composition of which, isn't really "paper" so much as it's almost like what they printed black and white photos on back in the 60s. It's got some density to it, and has a slick surface.  Again, these are not separate, these are together (the buyer can cut them and frame as desired).  When you can't get the OA, I guess this might be the next best thing.

$1100

dd326contact print.jpg