• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The essential difference between SA DC and Marvel in a nutshell.
1 1

111 posts in this topic

Below is a link of Gorilla covers that someone put together. Looks like ASM #110 had the first appearance of the Gibbon (not technically a gorilla per se, if I understand correctly, but part of the ape family)... Lots of DC gorilla covers...

https://comicbookinvest.com/2015/06/17/gorilla-cover-gallery-checklist/ 

2 minutes ago, Superman2006 said:

Below is a link of Gorilla covers that someone put together. Looks like ASM #110 had the first appearance of the Gibbon (not technically a gorilla per se, if I understand correctly, but part of the ape family)... Lots of DC gorilla covers...

https://comicbookinvest.com/2015/06/17/gorilla-cover-gallery-checklist/ 

Now we just need the baby cover gallery!

A friend of mine pointed out that DC covers in the silver and early Bronze Age extrapolated that the villain had actually won and the hero was dead, and that is NOT what happened at all if you bought the book and read it.  Marvel did not lie to its readers in that way.

D65556FC-D1A5-4B96-8FF1-B4D29A55A79A.jpeg

Edited by Phicks
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Phicks said:

A friend of mine pointed out that DC covers in the silver and early Bronze Age extrapolated that the villain had actually won and the hero was dead, and that is NOT what happened at all if you bought the book and read it.  Marvel did not lie to its readers in that way.

They still don't lie!  Today nothing happens on the cover or in the comic!  :wink:

57 minutes ago, Phicks said:

My god youre right!  That is like 90% of the covers in that time period.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

at least Sgt Fury lost one man in the midst of wiping out entire German and Japanese divisions

And one of them took out a flying Messerschmitt with a hand grenade.  
A classic scene.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

767973.jpg

They misspelled gorilla.

3 minutes ago, astrometric said:

151.jpg

I suggest Supes would have been nicknamed Fingers Malone after this.

You can take 30 SA issues of Superman or Batman and shuffle them up like a deck of cards and read them ... and it literally makes almost no impact on the storytelling. Nothing from one issue mattered to the next anyway.   Imagine trying to do that with Marvel books. 
I wonder if, at the time, DC considered the above a “positive” ... or they just were slow to notice what Marvel did and why it was working. 
That, and the gorilla thing. 😄