• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC "retire" serial #'s on regrades?

5 posts in this topic

If I have, say a 9.6 comic already graded and I send it back in for a press and regrade. I hit the jackpot and it grades 9.8. What happens to my previous serial # and the census count? Pardon if this has been asked, I did a search but nothing came up.

if no one can give a definitive answer, post it on the Ask CGC forum

I would think since CGC is cracking it for a regrade they would update the census count.  I've read posts before about people cracking them out of slabs themselves and being able to send in the label so CGC could update their records, so I would imagine this would be treated similarly

Edited by csaag
add info

12 hours ago, telerites said:

Unless something has changed, what @csaag is correct. 

Here is my understanding -

If sent in for reholder, then the same serial number is kept but it is transferred to the new label. The book would not be regraded unless there is an obvious defect that has occurred to the book since it was last graded.

If a book is submitted for a regrade (or a book is regraded for whatever reason) a new serial number is given to the book.  

CGC will remove the old serial number from the census if the book is sent for regrade while still encapsulated or the book is sent in raw along with the old label.

That!

On 11/28/2020 at 12:35 PM, telerites said:

Unless something has changed, what @csaag is correct. 

Here is my understanding -

If sent in for reholder, then the same serial number is kept but it is transferred to the new label. The book would not be regraded unless there is an obvious defect that has occurred to the book since it was last graded.

If a book is submitted for a regrade (or a book is regraded for whatever reason) a new serial number is given to the book.  

CGC will remove the old serial number from the census if the book is sent for regrade while still encapsulated or the book is sent in raw along with the old label.

Correct-o-moon-dough.