• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

I’ve only been collecting since ‘80...I have had the exact epiphany...I just sold a few comics to get one I’ve wanted for awhile...also paid for all the Xmas presents going to my wife and a new mossberg shockwave, and still had a couple of grand left over...actually felt better than I thought it would...gonna go from 7 long boxes down to one short box of graded keys...get ready sales forum...

Edited by JTD

I am not the most prolific collector but I get it as well. It has always been hard for me to let things go but this year I sold a bunch of books and  it didn't bother me one bit. I enjoy some comic art and unique items but I am not sure what to do with the X-men #1 that is just sitting in a box. Just owning them doesn't real bring joy anymore.

Especially if you don't "need the money" as you say, we like to think that we can always sell something if we had too. Maybe that will hold true?

But do what you feel is necessary or the desires of your heart. We collect what we love to not steer wrong, but sometimes that is not just comics. If there is something else you want more? Even just money in the bank? 

It can be tough for sure, sorry this virus has hurt your business, you had an idea and passion early this year. Now that there may soon be an end or vaccine, who knows how 2021 will start and end.

If you can give it time, I say go for it. Ultimately do what is in your heart! :x 

11 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

I am not the most prolific collector but I get it as well. It has always been hard for me to let things go but this year I sold a bunch of books and  it didn't bother me one bit. I enjoy some comic art and unique items but I am not sure what to do with the X-men #1 that is just sitting in a box. Just owning them doesn't real bring joy anymore.

Ive always wanted to collect cover art and splash pages myself...way to rich for my blood...

Will early 1960s Marvels forever increase in value? Perhaps now might be a good time to sell comics with value before something happens to shake up the world. Who knows, one day soon there could be a virus pandemic bringing recession/unemployment/deflation/inflation/sickness and death. :)

Seriously, everyone reaches a point when the cold light of day is shone on a hobby that has kept you absorbed for years. Twice I sold all my comics. The first time selling now-priceless issues covered a foreign holiday when now they would buy me a house. So I should have kept them a few more decades in hindsight. The second time I sold my collection for peanuts just to be able to "move on". Since then I haven't sold anything for 40 years and have reached the point where I want to part with the 1000s of comics that in the words of Marie Kondo don't "bring me joy". But itemizing stuff on eBay wouldn't bring me joy either. I guess a lot  of 1980s onwards books will go into my recycling wheely bin as it's nearer than the Charity shop.   

I don't have a lot of high dollar value books. What I do have is nice reading material. But I'm in the winter of my years, so accordingly I have been moving out a lot of stuff whether through MCS, giving to friends or donating to the local charity store. At the start of the year, my goal was to pare down my collection by 50%. Pretty close to doing that, but it isn't enough. Do I really want to hold on to some books because I might get a dollar in trade credit a year or two from now?

This is my second purge since I got back into collecting in 1987. I probably have less than 20 long boxes ( if I emptied the gajillion shortie boxes in the Closet Of Doom into long boxes).

It saddens me to hear this but I guess at some point, we all probably get there. For me, I feel like one of the "younger" old book collectors. I will cherish another 40+ years (hopefully) of collecting. That being said, I am prepared to move it all eventually. Maybe my son or daughter on the way will take interest. If not, I will leave them with whatever financial gain my collection has rather than burden them. I know that all seems sad but in a way, I will be proud to do it. And hey, I probably will even come on here (provided this place exists) and donate my lesser books (the $5-10 or less stuff) to future boardies who need em. 

I empathize with you.  I collected from the late 70's to 80's upon which they took up permanent residence in my bedroom closet where I grew up until I moved them to the basement of the house I bought.  2 years ago I was home for a bit and started to think about with I was going to do with them after all this time.   Like you, my kids had no interest in them and I was thinking about the need to eventually downsize since I was in my mid 50's.   So I started the whole education process (CGC, these forums, Ebay etc).    Time is still much on my side so I am in no rush, but I have found the entire process to be very enjoyable from participating on these boards to dealing with buyers on Ebay. Maybe not regaining passion like others have mentioned here but it has brought back some of the joy I experienced back then.

Good Luck & I echo the last sentiment Mmehdy said.

I dunno. I've got a major key entombed in plastic sitting in a Safe Deposit Box and sometimes I wonder what the point is. I have no children. My nieces and nephews are spoiled sh*ts who wouldn't care one way or the other and if they got a hold of it they would just cash out and add a bag of money to their already silver-spoon spoiled ungrateful lives. Right now in my will it's left to a 22 year old friend of the wife's who doesn't like me and I don't like him. And no he doesn't give a sh*t about comics.

I seem to be of a minority opinion here but I believe this stuff has a shelf life if you're talking about collecting for selling later. I don't care about the movies. I know of no young person that reads comics. It's nostalgic for us, not them. Yes I understand your children read comics and books because they're special. Most kids today don't read tangible print. Try telling a kid today you've got the first Roy Rodgers action figure still in the box. Who cares?

If I sold book I could probably buy a Porsche or two and that seems as if it would be more fun. But no, I made a commitment to the 20-year grand experiment and if I arrived at the idea, it'll probably fail.

Edited by NoMan

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It can be tough for sure, sorry this virus has hurt your business, you had an idea and passion early this year. Now that there may soon be an end or vaccine, who knows how 2021 will start and end.

If you can give it time, I say go for it. Ultimately do what is in your heart! :x 

This.

If you simply have no interest in opening the shop or working in it, then that's understandable.  However, there is a lot of pent up cabin fever in people.....and once a vaccine is wide spread, there could very likely be a massive surge in tourism which could have a big impact on your business. 

If this happens, would it be possible to hire someone part time to run the store when you aren't there?  This would allow you to continue to hunt (which some people enjoy) for unique items for your store, without having to work the retail counter full time.

Just a thought.