• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

For me, it’s the first time during the pandemic that two people I know have contracted Covid, this last week.  Luckily, milder symptoms.

Hardly surprising that there are so many introspective posts at a time when the future is quite so uncertain.

I appreciate what’s being said here, anyway.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I have just listed 40% of my collection on ebay

My wife's aunty died of Covid last month. It took them days to clear her place and most of it went in the bin. It did make me think what would happen when I go. Who would be interested in Red Sonja 7 in VG? 

I'm going to keep the major titles and runs and focus on them. I haven't lost interest but I do need to focus. Those 16 boxes of dreck were just going to sit in the attic anyway. They're just things, things with little relative value.

I sold mine and my dad's original owner collection back in 95 for a pittance and regret it still but this time I feel its a positive thing to do. 

When they do sell I will buy a key that will mean something more to me and be of more use to the kids if I do disappear. 

On 11/28/2020 at 12:15 PM, followtheleader said:

Totally with you brother.   Really down to me just listing as I have pics and a decent list.  Toys are really the only fun in the last couple years for me.

Patrick

And good time to do it.  the 40 somethings that are currently spiking the market will be dead soon too, and most kids today don't seem to have much interest in comic books, so there might be a precipitous drop in comic book value coming as this generation dies off...

5 hours ago, nmtg9 said:

I have just listed 40% of my collection on ebay

My wife's aunty died of Covid last month. It took them days to clear her place and most of it went in the bin. It did make me think what would happen when I go. Who would be interested in Red Sonja 7 in VG? 

I'm going to keep the major titles and runs and focus on them. I haven't lost interest but I do need to focus. Those 16 boxes of dreck were just going to sit in the attic anyway. They're just things, things with little relative value.

I sold mine and my dad's original owner collection back in 95 for a pittance and regret it still but this time I feel its a positive thing to do. 

When they do sell I will buy a key that will mean something more to me and be of more use to the kids if I do disappear. 

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I hope the Mrs is keeping well, as from our PMs, I know she’s in a vulnerable group.

I always keep in mind your experience with the dealer involved in the OO collection you mentioned here, as it’s a nightmare to think that my relatives might sell off my four figure keys to someone like him for 50 quid, depriving, say, my preferred medical and animal protection charities of much-needed funding. For the current thread, he’s my benchmark for the negative; been thinking exactly the same. 

Stay safe.

2 hours ago, Max Carnage said:

Me and the wife had it back in March - again mild symptoms but I was having breathing issues up to June.  Feeling better now.

Very glad to hear it. :smile:

On 11/28/2020 at 12:10 PM, shadroch said:

I've been collecting comics since 1972 and they have been a major part of my life. I've owned two comic shops, managed a third, done countless shows and been buying and selling on the internet since the day after I got my first webtv.

Two years ago, I decided to move from Las Vegas to Bisbee ,with the intention of opening a shop that would have a large comic presence. I ran into a few roadblocks and then the virus came along setting me back further.  

I never dreamed I would be in a position of almost no money coming in for 18 months and I also realized I no longer really want to work. It's been six years since I worked more than an occasional part time gig and the thought of opening a shop and being there fulltime simply isn't appealing anymore.

Two weeks ago, I decided I would break into my " retirement vault" - my 100 books worth at least $1,000 each, and sell five of them. In 2016, circumstances forced me into the same situation and I really agonized over which two books to sell. It was like ripping a child out of my arms. 

This time it was different. Avengers 1 was my pride and joy, now I look at it and see $3,000. My Avengers 4- signed by Stan and Joe Simon-that one I will hold onto. Captain America Comics- I love the Schomburg covers, but I have an original painting and two lithos that are much nicer.  I'm still finding a few books I have an emotional tie to- Defenders 10, Captain America 3, the Legion Adventures, Judge Dredd 1, but increasingly I look at the rest and I just see dollar bills. Even when one lives alone, sixty plus comic boxes take up a lot of space.

I'm reminded of my friends Mom. Her husband worked for Con Ed and over the course of his career, managed to buy $250,000 worth of stock in the company. I'm sure he intended that to provide for his family, but when he died the mother refused to sell the stock. She insisted that her beloved husband scrimped and saved to buy them the stock and it would dishonor his memory if they were to sell them. He ended up leaving CW Post to go to a state school because they didn't have the money.

My son, whom I am not close with, and my nephews, who I am close to , have zero interest in my books. If I die, they would be a burden on my nephew to sell. In my will, I leave my books to a comic industry charity. but they can have what is left over. 

I also have underestimated what these book are going for.  A GS X-Men I bought on these boards for $300 sold for $920 even when it turned out to be restored , and another copy I bought from MCS for $410 just sold for $1400.  While I don't "need" the money, those two books just allowed me to buy a nice patio set. 

I've thought about selling out in the past, but I'm pretty sure this time I will go thru with it. 

I look at my two bookcases full of Omni's , Archives and Masterpeces and realize I will most likely never get around to reading them.  Time to pass them along to someone who will appreciate them. 

I think I will still bargain hunt when I can, but 99% of my collection no longer means much to me. 

Forgive my rant, I thought writing this might make me feel different but it didn't.

Have you considered selling the whales, then taking a break, and that may give you some inspiration to read those collected editions? We are all susceptible to burnouts from our hobbies; Just like careers or jobs that we spend an enormous amount of time on. I hope that maybe your spark gets renewed at some point.

It gets to a point that your stuff owns you.  Eventually that burden becomes overwhelming, and it’s time to let go.

Consider it a blessing your stuff is worth good money right now.2c

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

I’ve started moving stuff I can live without - I’m keeping marvel keys and still working on full runs , but am moving most / all of my DC - haven’t sent a book to be graded in awhile as it doesn’t feel like a necessity presently . I can’t believe how many boxes of drek I’ve acquired over time 

Edited by Old_Man_Adam

On 11/28/2020 at 11:10 AM, shadroch said:

I've been collecting comics since 1972 and they have been a major part of my life. I've owned two comic shops, managed a third, done countless shows and been buying and selling on the internet since the day after I got my first webtv.

Two years ago, I decided to move from Las Vegas to Bisbee ,with the intention of opening a shop that would have a large comic presence. I ran into a few roadblocks and then the virus came along setting me back further.  

I never dreamed I would be in a position of almost no money coming in for 18 months and I also realized I no longer really want to work. It's been six years since I worked more than an occasional part time gig and the thought of opening a shop and being there fulltime simply isn't appealing anymore.

Two weeks ago, I decided I would break into my " retirement vault" - my 100 books worth at least $1,000 each, and sell five of them. In 2016, circumstances forced me into the same situation and I really agonized over which two books to sell. It was like ripping a child out of my arms. 

This time it was different. Avengers 1 was my pride and joy, now I look at it and see $3,000. My Avengers 4- signed by Stan and Joe Simon-that one I will hold onto. Captain America Comics- I love the Schomburg covers, but I have an original painting and two lithos that are much nicer.  I'm still finding a few books I have an emotional tie to- Defenders 10, Captain America 3, the Legion Adventures, Judge Dredd 1, but increasingly I look at the rest and I just see dollar bills. Even when one lives alone, sixty plus comic boxes take up a lot of space.

I'm reminded of my friends Mom. Her husband worked for Con Ed and over the course of his career, managed to buy $250,000 worth of stock in the company. I'm sure he intended that to provide for his family, but when he died the mother refused to sell the stock. She insisted that her beloved husband scrimped and saved to buy them the stock and it would dishonor his memory if they were to sell them. He ended up leaving CW Post to go to a state school because they didn't have the money.

My son, whom I am not close with, and my nephews, who I am close to , have zero interest in my books. If I die, they would be a burden on my nephew to sell. In my will, I leave my books to a comic industry charity. but they can have what is left over. 

I also have underestimated what these book are going for.  A GS X-Men I bought on these boards for $300 sold for $920 even when it turned out to be restored , and another copy I bought from MCS for $410 just sold for $1400.  While I don't "need" the money, those two books just allowed me to buy a nice patio set. 

I've thought about selling out in the past, but I'm pretty sure this time I will go thru with it. 

I look at my two bookcases full of Omni's , Archives and Masterpeces and realize I will most likely never get around to reading them.  Time to pass them along to someone who will appreciate them. 

I think I will still bargain hunt when I can, but 99% of my collection no longer means much to me. 

Forgive my rant, I thought writing this might make me feel different but it didn't.

In the end just be happy with what you have done.  The rest is just water under the bridge.

16 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No I just thought I might have offended him by asking to be an heir....

It could be it's not a joke worthy subject for some..... :tink:

So I took my kicking and kept on ticking so to speak.....

I joke. It's all good. This is a comic book board.