• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Please put me in touch with your tax advisor.

Remember you only pay taxes on the profit, not the gross sales. Assuming the cost of goods is 30-50% of the selling price, putting aside 10% of the gross sale  covers the taxes owed.

Buy a book for $400, sell it for $1,000.  $600 gross profit- $60 ebay fees, $30 paypal, $10 assorted expenses. $600-$100= $500 profit. 10% of sale price =$100.

Edited by shadroch

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

At the six month mark, I'm happy to say sales are going fantastic..

You picked a great time period to sell.  Also, hopefully you documented this journey somewhere (video journal?)

Personally, I couldn't make this big of a change.  There's too much nostalgia tied to my collection that I can't let go of.

***Best of luck going forward

20 hours ago, shadroch said:

At the six month mark, I'm happy to say sales are going fantastic. I should pass $100,000 in sales this month, and  have not touched the heart of my collection. I let go a few books I may regret- Captain America 4 and Superman 14 stand out, but the more I sell, the more i'm willing to sell. Last week I sent 40 big books out on consignment and am preparing to ship 120 raw books and about forty slabs in the next two weeks. 

I've bought  about $6,000 worth of books , set aside 10% for taxes and banked the rest in a separate account.  I'm thinking of buying a Tesla pickup but have not got serious yet either.

The bad part is I have not touched the approx. 3,000 Tpbs or sold any of my modern stuff, outside of a single yard sale that generated $300.

I've reduced my overall inventory less than 5% and am well behind my goal of moving 50% of it, but I'm having a great time doing it. 

To my amazement, i'm still finding nice books in boxes I thought were searched. Last night  I pulled a NM Transformers 1 out of a box of SA Avengers and a VF Thor 169 out of a box of SA reprint books. 

I am really amazed what many books are selling for. Books I paid $5-8 for five years ago are going for $40-50, and many books I paid $25 or less are selling in the $100 range.  One book I paid $800 for in 2015 sold for $5200 and another I paid $250 for in 2011 sold for $4300.

So far, so good. No Regerts,as they say.

Incredible.  I say the thrill is back. Amazing sales.  Congrats 

I did wind up buying a few of the issues i sold back.  Glad i sold 3/4 of my collection but wife got her job back she lost when pandemic started and got my hours back and even got a raise so spent last few weeks buying back about 30 books i regretted. Ofcourse i had to pay current prices but still not bad. Happier what I did selling bulk of it, got collection  into a reasonable level and I can enjoy it a little more now.

Edited by spidrvacc