• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I once had lunch with a boardie over here who had had to make a decision between buying a BMW or a Captain America Comics 1.  (Way out of my league.)  Despite being a comics geek, I passed the test: I chose the car, as had he.

I guess I'm the outlier lol. 

Give me the CA 1 over a nice car all day.  Fancy cars do nothing for me. 

I consider collecting comics an experience akin to going on a vacation. I can appreciate the books have value and that can't be ignored. However, when you go on a vacation, the value of the vacation is the feelings you experience at that point in time and the only things that linger are the beautiful memories. If our books were monetarily "worthless", would we all be lamenting the fact that we should sell/get out of the hobby while the gettin's good? Keep the collection, sell off pieces to fund experiences you want to enjoy in the present and the future. Don't overthink your situation as I can almost promise that you'll have pangs of regret from making a decision in the middle of a pandemic. $.01.

I started collecting in 1976 and amassed a collection of nearly 46,000 books. Besides the drug stores of the past and local comic shops I hit flea markets, garage sales, estate sales and Craigslist to accumulate my collection. Now I`m getting up in age and frequently have conversations with my wife on what I plan to do with all my "stuff" as she likes to call it. She has no clue what I have in the collection and I know she`s overwhelmed just thinking about what to do with all of it. She often says I`ll just lock the door and that`s where they`ll sit. I have 2 adult girls, who when younger can tell you everything about the books and characters, but as they got older they lost interest in the hobby. I keep saying I`m going to downsize, but never do. My plan is to sell off multiple books and buy single pristine keys. Limit my collection to basically 100-150 books. They would be easier to sell in the future. My only problem is the collector in me is always on the hunt for that next great deal. Either way, I have to get moving because I`m not getting any younger. None of us are.     

11 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I once had lunch with a boardie over here who had had to make a decision between buying a BMW or a Captain America Comics 1.  (Way out of my league.)  Despite being a comics geek, I passed the test: I chose the car, as had he.

That was me ;)

Now the car is worth half what I paid for it and the CA 1 would be worth twice as much ( if not more ) :cry:

On 11/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

And the pressure of owning things worth a lot of money starts to tell as you get older. The worry of fires, floods, burglaries, or inadvertently dying and leaving the problem to your loved ones. 

This has been my experience this year. I evacuated twice in a 2 month span due to hurricanes and had to bring two longboxes of very valuable books with me. It was nerve-wracking and really made me wonder why I am holding on to this stuff that rarely even gets looked at. 

I've gone through cycles.

Sold my X-men to pay for a nice vacation for the family, when the kids were little.

Rebuilt my collection until I had most of the Silver Age books I wanted. Built the #1 Miller DD collection (which lasted for a year, then sold some of the books to the collector who was #2). I tried to build an FF run 1-100 comprised of different pedigrees, but I wasn't sure if I'd ever have the wallet for the single digit books. I did manage 27 pedigree slabs, before I waved the white flag and sold them.

Every time I've finally collected something to my satisfaction, there's a bit of malaise. Sometimes I'll take a year off. 

In those moments, I do think about how these books mean little to my kids. They like the books, but don't have the nostalgic connection. So, if I drop dead, my wife knows to have a collector friend help her get them to Vin at Comic Connect to sell. The kids can take a few books so they have a part of dad's collection, but the rest will be sold. I also worry that the long term value of mid-grade comics will flatline as people like us pass away and the next generation is less interested. I worry that only high grade keys will continue to climb in value. (Though whenever I think this I usually sell a few books overseas and realize this game is MUCH bigger than just us).

Now that I'm slowly selling my collection, I'm enjoying seeing those books that meant so much to me end up in the hands of a someone who wants the book the way I once wanted it. 

And now the books that I buy, I know I'll sell, probably sooner rather than later. So I try and enjoy the book, knowing in a weird way that my ownership is part of its history as it travels on. 

Edited by MatterEaterLad

Just now, rsouxlja7 said:

This has been my experience this year. I evacuated twice in a 2 month span due to hurricanes and had to bring two longboxes of very valuable books with me. It was nerve-wracking and really made me wonder why I am holding on to this stuff that rarely even gets looked at. 

The pressure is real isn't it. As you get older you lose the carefree nature of your youth and start to see things more practically. I hope very much that the members here can see and not doubt my love for the medium, but it was the biggest relief to sell all those high value items on my own terms. Pottering about in the cheap seats keeps me going and is just as rewarding. 

36 minutes ago, Max Carnage said:

That was me ;)

Now the car is worth half what I paid for it and the CA 1 would be worth twice as much ( if not more ) :cry:

I wondered if you’d post.

lol

11 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I can remember looking and looking in the late 1960’s for man on a rampage Spider-Man issue,,, the story line continued, it took me a year to find it... great read..that much has not changed.. just recently reread it... still great

It was worse over here due to patchy distribution of American comics.  So, during the Bronze Age, suddenly we missed parts of classic multi-issue storylines;

In X-Men, The Shi’ar / Imperial Guard / M’ Kraan Crystal (107), Alpha Flight (121), Phoenix Saga (137).

The Avengers / Defenders War 

Captain Marvel 33 - end of Avengers / Thanos story.

as examples.

Also, I found Avengers Annual 7, read it, discovered it was a two-parter with Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2, couldn’t find that for a couple of years and was gouged when I did.

Wanting to just read the stories now, and recalling my doubtless OCD-amped frustration and desperation over missing parts of key stories back then, I’m much more content with having comfortable, easy access to collected physical or digital editions rather than being enslaved to the back issue market.

Options evolve, and you evolve, not always in constant alignment.

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, kav said:

I'm in the same boat.  No family so leaving all my comics and OA to my buddy who owns a comic shop who I suspect doesnt really even like me.  I got no one else.

Maybe we can get together and you know....

14 hours ago, the blob said:

I go in and out. As I always have financial needs beyond my salary I tend to look at every box as a potential $150-5000. With that said, what I collect right now is some DC war and disney ducks with some random GA, stuff I don't view as great investments (the ducks have been horrible), I just like them (even though they are material I never read when I did read comics). With that said, if there's a Sgt. Rock or enemy ace movie my basement is getting renovated!

Personally I have found the lack of the physical hunt has hurt me. MY main LCS closed last year, the one I went to a lot before then closed, no comic cons around here during covid ... I enjoy the hunt. Hunting on line is not the same, at all.

I’m with you. I don’t buy much anymore. Mostly odd GA books that are off the radar of most folks. I do pony up a bit for the occasional EC I need to complete my collection. Always a treat to receive. Years ago, I bought 2 bound volumes of all the Duck Barks Four Colors and 2 volumes of Scrooge #1-40 from a friend and sold off all my individual copies other than a couple.

Yeah, kind of a sad, hollow experience just buying on line. I really miss cons, flea markets and estate sales. Yep, the thrill of the hunt and interacting with other collectors in person. 

35 minutes ago, SkOw said:

I hope this isn't over the top, but this kind of breaks my heart.  While I understand where you're coming from, and I also recognize that I'm not in the same situation you are in, selfishly I really hope that you don't sell out, at least not yet.  Or better said, if you do sell out, it's because you really do want to pass the baton and not because of the dollar signs.  That is probably a weird reaction from someone who has bought so many books from you over the years and would love to buy more, but I've always enjoyed your passion for the comic book industry.  I was really engaged in your talks about opening up the store too, but again I am not in your situation and I do understand not wanting to work a job everyday.  A shop would be A LOT of work, but again, selfishly I hoped you would do it so I could read about it and get that vicarious thrill lol.  

If I can offer one piece of advice though, don't sell the ones that mean the most to you.  At least not yet.  I am 4 books away right now from a Superman full run from 1-423.  My father bought me a late GA/early SA Superman book from a coworker when I was a kid and gave it to me for my birthday.  It was my first 10 cent comic.  I thought I was rich and I must have read that thing two or three dozen times.  That started an obsession that has now almost become a reality. 

My father passed away in April, unfortunately before I could finish the run.  I miss him a lot.  After the funeral I went down to the basement to pull out my "precious" box and find that book.  All of my high dollar raw books were still in there in Mylar, but that book was nowhere to be found.  It was gone.  I vaguely remember pulling it out a couple years ago to page through it, and I must have put it somewhere else or tucked it into the wrong box.  I feel like I have searched everywhere and can't find it.  I am hopeful it will still turn up someday, but it made me realize that I would rather keep that book over my Superman 1, or the 2 that was so tough to get, or the 14 that is my favorite cover, or any of the other ones.  Whenever I look at that book I am 10 years old again under the covers reading about Superman trying to get Mr. Mxyzptlk to say his name backwards.  

Those books are the ones that you will miss when they are gone.  Those books might be worth thousands or belong in a dollar box, but those would be the last ones I recommend you part with.  Whatever you decide to do though, thanks for being a big part in helping me get back into collecting comics. 

I agree..Superman is the "man"...once complete let us know...

42 minutes ago, SkOw said:

I am 4 books away right now from a Superman full run from 1-423. 

And I thought that my old run of Spider-man was amazing...Great Caesar's ghost I can't even imagine what that would look like, what numbers are you missing?

On 11/28/2020 at 4:08 PM, NoMan said:

I dunno. I've got a major key entombed in plastic sitting in a Safe Deposit Box and sometimes I wonder what the point is. I have no children. My nieces and nephews are spoiled sh*ts who wouldn't care one way or the other and if they got a hold of it they would just cash out and add a bag of money to their already silver-spoon spoiled ungrateful lives. Right now in my will it's left to a 22 year old friend of the wife's who doesn't like me and I don't like him. And no he doesn't give a sh*t about comics.

I seem to be of a minority opinion here but I believe this stuff has a shelf life if you're talking about collecting for selling later. I don't care about the movies. I know of no young person that reads comics. It's nostalgic for us, not them. Yes I understand your children read comics and books because they're special. Most kids today don't read tangible print. Try telling a kid today you've got the first Roy Rodgers action figure still in the box. Who cares?

If I sold book I could probably buy a Porsche or two and that seems as if it would be more fun. But no, I made a commitment to the 20-year grand experiment and if I arrived at the idea, it'll probably fail.

Why would you leave it to someone you don't like?