• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

I've gone through similar feelings twice now, and each has led to drastically downsizing my collection. By and large, I don't miss any of what I sold, apart from the rare "oops I really sold my ASM 300 too soon", which I could say about perhaps .1% of what I used to own. It's true that the stuff you own ends up owning you. What I have kept I still enjoy, and love reading collected editions that can sit nicely on the shelf. Once in a while I'll buy a slab I like to add to the few boxes I have left, or a page of art-  but I am definitely conscious of not wanting to leave my family with things to have to dispose of after I leave this world. 

carroll only sold, he did not give. ever. for anybody.:sumo:

i don't think i could buy a 40 if i wanted to... only 4 known, i think?

i would not trade it for any comic if i could have bought one, though. i would blow my face off, first.

interestingly, there are 2 pooper survivors. go figure>

back to comics. i got nuthin, because i am a jonny quest dufus. i can't even buy a yugo with that credential.

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

And I thought that my old run of Spider-man was amazing...Great Caesar's ghost I can't even imagine what that would look like, what numbers are you missing?

I was wrong it is 5: 5, 22, 23, 27, and 51.  I have a cover for 22 as a placeholder, but I need a complete book.  I also am looking for upgrades on 9 and 43.  The bulk of the run is 2.0 to 4.0 with some higher, but those are really ROUGH.

22 minutes ago, D2 said:

I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their very real, very raw, realities of the other side of the collecting world and their collecting hunger. 

I also wanted to thank shadroch for having the need, the desire, and the courage to share very honest sides to get this whole thing going. 

For me, what this has shown, is the simple fact that I’m not alone. And I appreciate that. 

It doesn’t solve my own issues, or struggles with what I’m left with when it comes to my collecting needs. And let me tell you, they are needs... which is sad in a way. But the simple understanding that, maybe that’s just how it goes?

Nothing lasts forever. 

I get excited and feel alive with the hobby, on my endless crusade for my books, wondering which gems I’ll uncover. Hoping to find the ultimate discovery, the link in the chain. Then, one day it changes. I don’t feel the same appreciation for my collection as I did when I was collecting them, and I’m left wondering what to do next...

So I sell them. I sell almost all of them. Either out of frustration or aggravation with the hobby, the market, or myself... all 3 really. I realize that in truth, the only one that will ever truly appreciate what I have is me. That makes me sad. 

My hunger came back. But it’s tempered. 

It’s tempered by the harsh reality that I also have no one else to share this joy with. It’s tempered by the fact that I don’t want to feel how I felt when I lost that luster for my collection. 

This is a thread I can see my revisiting time and time again. I’ll reread what you have all wrote to remind myself of why I do what I do. 

I do this for me. 

Great post.

45 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

On the plus side of things, at the least market is booming & books are at all time highs.   Much more depressing to sell off your collection for a fraction of what you paid.  

I consigned 25 books to MCS that went up for sale on the 24th. fourteen of them sold by yesterday. I lost money on one of them- a TOS 50, but thats because I bought it at its height and meant to flip it but missed the bubble. Otherwise, I made well over 200% return on every book. Have another sixty ready to send, and a few hundred I'd like to sell here if I can ever find the time.Just purging my doubles and multiple copies will take me a few months. With the renewed interest in foreign editions, I'm confident my copies will find new homes rather quickly. 

7 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I consigned 25 books to MCS that went up for sale on the 24th. fourteen of them sold by yesterday. I lost money on one of them- a TOS 50, but thats because I bought it at its height and meant to flip it but missed the bubble. Otherwise, I made well over 200% return on every book. Have another sixty ready to send, and a few hundred I'd like to sell here if I can ever find the time.Just purging my doubles and multiple copies will take me a few months. With the renewed interest in foreign editions, I'm confident my copies will find new homes rather quickly. 

So was this a "poor me" thread or "Pour me a scotch?"

3 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

Why would you leave it to someone you don't like?

Because a happy wife is a happy life and I'll be dead.

I am, however, working on changing the will and the wife seems to be on board after the a-hole it's currently left with freaked out on me. 

Just now, NoMan said:

Because a happy wife is a happy life and I'll be dead.

I am, however, working on changing the will and the wife seems to be on board after the a-hole it's currently left with freaked out on me. 

I'm available, just saying

but do what is agreed, I'm sure it costs $$ to change a will? so :wishluck: hope there are worthy candidates! :tink: 

10 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

So was this a "poor me" thread or "Pour me a scotch?"

Neither. I'm not poor, don't really drink and certainly aren't looking for sympathy.  I need to get some work done on my building and reluctantly decided to sell a few books to finance it. While deciding what books to sell, I realized I no longer cared about almost all of them. When I was a kid, my grandmother used to have a big old trunk she called her "Hope Chest". That's how I've looked at my comics.  My plan all along was to sell a few a month to supplement my income, but now I think I'll sell them more rapidly. 

i'm still opening my shop. It just will have more South West pottery and jewelry than I originally intended. Comics will be represented by a few hundred TPBs and a couple boxes of dollar books. I'm pretty sure I will make more consigning them to MCS  than I would with them hanging on the wall of my shop. Getting good money for them with zero shrinkage and little work sounds appealing to me. 

I had parents put out a will a year or two ago, that was stressful, so I feel the pain, even if I'm lighthearted about it

on the other hand I also have a close blood relative who is the oldest and has done nothing, zilch, nadda....

I respect both opinions

but I don't know which is more stressful lol

and to be continued, as so far I haven't experienced it yet, when that day get's here I may or may not be in a position to think straight.

If any of you boomer types (heck, anyone over 48) who don't have kids or who don't talk to their kids want to informally adopt an obese 48 year old for the purposes of having someone inherit your comics I am available. If your collection is good enough I will send a birthday and december holiday (you pick which holiday ... I ca do Christman, Chanukka or Kwanza based) hand painted card every year (psychotic clown inspired, of course) to formalize the relationship.

Edited by the blob