• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT IF THE SLABBED COMIC LOOKS LIKE A LOWER GRADE?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I'm perplexed. Two weeks ago, I bought a CGC graded and slabbed comic off of ebay. It is a 9.4 with Off-White Pages. When the comic arrived, though, it was graded a 9.4, but did not look like a 9.4. It looked to be a lower grade.

My questions are:

1) Should I be concerned?

2) Is there a way to tell if the slab has been tampered with and the comic inside replaced with another, lower grade comic of the same issue?

3) If I send the comic in to CGC to be reholdered (it is right now in an older blue slab), is it likely that CGC may change the grade to a lower grade, if it doesn't look up to par? 

4) Has this ever happened to anyone else. I'm curious to know.

Well, thanks for any input you may have on this topic. I look forward to hearing your responses.

24 minutes ago, AwesomeSauce said:

I'm perplexed. Two weeks ago, I bought a CGC graded and slabbed comic off of ebay. It is a 9.4 with Off-White Pages. When the comic arrived, though, it was graded a 9.4, but did not look like a 9.4. It looked to be a lower grade.

My questions are:

2) Is there a way to tell if the slab has been tampered with and the comic inside replaced with another, lower grade comic of the same issue?

3) If I send the comic in to CGC to be reholdered (it is right now in an older blue slab), is it likely that CGC may change the grade to a lower grade, if it doesn't look up to par? 

Well, thanks for any input you may have on this topic. I look forward to hearing your responses.

The 1st thing any of the knowledge posters on slab damage (which isn't me) will ask for is pictures (incl corners).   Plus to get an idea of the condition of the comic.

W/O being an expert, I don't think slab tampering is something you should generally be concerned about.   A comic can shift around in the slab during shipping causing damage but w/o pics it would impossible for anyone to say if that's a possibility in your case.  I do believe CGC can regrade a comic if it's obvious to them the grade doesn't hold anymore but I don't know how common that is/

Did the Ebay listing have good pictures?  Since it's Ebay, you can always try to return it if you feel it's not as advertised.

Pictures would help answer a few of your questions, including whether or not a 9.4 seems proper for the book or not based on its appearance. 

Also, if you are buying ANY book, you need to take the time to look at it to ensure it is up to your standards. Ask for more pics, even if it is a graded book. Never assume that just because it is 9.0 or 9.2 or whatever that it will satisfy your own standards. I will admit, I have made this error in the past. I have bought books raw with minimal pictures and listen in Fine, which I generally an fine with, but when I got the books, they had minor flaws that I cannot stand (loose center staple, rust mark on staple, a minute but noticeable stain on the back cover). This was my error as I read Fine, assumed it would suit my standards, and just clicked buy. 

I have learned from this. The same applies with CGC books. 9.4's can have a range of flaws, albethem minor, and perhaps this book you bought has some of the flaws you hate but technically, still would make that book 9.4

45 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Pictures would help answer a few of your questions, including whether or not a 9.4 seems proper for the book or not based on its appearance. 

Also, if you are buying ANY book, you need to take the time to look at it to ensure it is up to your standards. Ask for more pics, even if it is a graded book. Never assume that just because it is 9.0 or 9.2 or whatever that it will satisfy your own standards. I will admit, I have made this error in the past. I have bought books raw with minimal pictures and listen in Fine, which I generally an fine with, but when I got the books, they had minor flaws that I cannot stand (loose center staple, rust mark on staple, a minute but noticeable stain on the back cover). This was my error as I read Fine, assumed it would suit my standards, and just clicked buy. 

I have learned from this. The same applies with CGC books. 9.4's can have a range of flaws, albethem minor, and perhaps this book you bought has some of the flaws you hate but technically, still would make that book 9.4

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic. I now understand, better, the issue at hand. I am definitely not a grader, so I really might be expressing MY opinion of the comic's actual grade. I trust CGCs grading system! As long as the slab has not been tampered with, I have no choice but to accept the comic as having earned the 9.4 grade on the blue label. Today, you've taught me a lot. You've especially opened my eyes to the fact that 9.4s DO have a range of flaws (which is why they're not graded higher), and that some of these flaws, if present, may not be ones that are acceptable to my tastes.

Yup

Now I’m not saying CGC is perfect. There have been enough instances where books that probably should be a whole grade point lower have been “missed”. But from all outward appearances those instances happen at a minimal. And for me it’s how CGC addresses their mistakes that means a lot. Right now hey seem to be attempting to be a lot more transparent to the community, something I think will only help them in the long run.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

My questions are:

1. You may not always agree with CGC's opinion. You - or whomever submitted for CGC's services - paid for their opinion.
  2. Yes, all CGC slabs are tamper-evident. You can probably Google/YouTube examples of how to easily identify tampering.
  3. Not unless the case is damaged in a way that appears to have effected the comic book.
  4. I have personally never bought a CGC'd book in which I disagreed with their opinion, but plenty of people have.

Thank you for breaking it down for me!! Your reply is quite reassuring. In the end, it's simply my opinion. However, when it comes to comics, I tend to be this irrational perfectionist. Most of the time, I realize that I

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
  1. You may not always agree with CGC's opinion. You - or whomever submitted for CGC's services - paid for their opinion.
  2. Yes, all CGC slabs are tamper-evident. You can probably Google/YouTube examples of how to easily identify tampering.
  3. Not unless the case is damaged in a way that appears to have effected the comic book.
  4. I have personally never bought a CGC'd book in which I disagreed with their opinion, but plenty of people have.

have absolutely zero idea what the heck I'm even talking about. I guess that's why I use the boards for feedback. Your answer(s) truly sooth any nit picky paranoia I may have about issues like this one. Thanks for your time!

9 minutes ago, AwesomeSauce said:

Thank you for breaking it down for me!! Your reply is quite reassuring. In the end, it's simply my opinion. However, when it comes to comics, I tend to be this irrational perfectionist. Most of the time, I realize that I

have absolutely zero idea what the heck I'm even talking about. I guess that's why I use the boards for feedback. Your answer(s) truly sooth any nit picky paranoia I may have about issues like this one. Thanks for your time!

Pictures would help as damage can occur after slabbing.