• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Human Torch, Namora and Sub-Mariner Art
1 1

40 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I'll be dog-goned if I can find any.  Please point me to the exact issue(s).  I really need to see this!

29 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I'll be dog-goned if I can find any.  Please point me to the exact issue(s).  I really need to see this!

Here is a cool issue and pic. There is also an Omnibus on the Human Torch with art by Everett and Burgos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIMELYS-GREATEST-GOLDEN-AGE-HUMAN-TORCH-BY-CARL-BURGOS-By-Bill-Everett-Mint/184524904232?epid=12038764092&hash=item2af68a9728:g:-YkAAOSwGMtfpjNl

EverettHumnTorch.jpg.ebfdb241e286cd969fb5fc1579ab38d9.jpg

Edited by TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector

9 minutes ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Here is a cool issue and pic.

EverettHumnTorch.thumb.jpg.8f231023e13f74dbecb746a7dfd3135a.jpg

Grand Comics Database lists the cover by Burgos and the Torch stories by Burgos/Ayers - no Everett involvement in the Torch stories...

Edited by pemart1966

2 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Grand Comics Database lists the cover by Burgos and the Torch stories by Burgos/Ayers - no Everett involvement in the Torch stories...

There is an omnibus on the Human Torch. he didn't do full stories on the Torch but when he appeared with the Sub-Mariner. They can be found in that omnibus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIMELYS-GREATEST-GOLDEN-AGE-HUMAN-TORCH-BY-CARL-BURGOS-By-Bill-Everett-Mint/184524904232?epid=12038764092&hash=item2af68a9728:g:-YkAAOSwGMtfpjNl

7 minutes ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

There is an omnibus on the Human Torch. he didn't do full stories on the Torch but when he appeared with the Sub-Mariner. They can be found in that omnibus.

I was always under the impression that when these crossovers took place that Everett drew the Sub-Mariner and that Burgos drew the Torch.  Am I wrong about this?

Edited by pemart1966

Just now, pemart1966 said:

Seeing these sketches reminds me as to how fluid (no pun intended) an artist that Bil

I was always under the impression that when these crossovers took place that Everett drew the Sub-Mariner and that Burgos drew the Torch.  Am I wrong about this?

I am no expert but when I looked at the stories in my dad's comics they were his, but I will have to look elsewhere as his Golden Age comics are graded and encapsulated now.

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

Seeing these sketches reminds me as to how fluid (no pun intended) an artist that Bil

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

Seeing these sketches reminds me how fluid (no pun intended) an artist Bill Everett was.  One of the top comic artists of all time.

Too bad that his career and life were cut so short primarily due to his own actions.

No offence to Joe Orlando; Wally Wood; or others but who wouldn't have wanted to see a healthy Bill Everett go on an extended Daredevil run (pencils and inks) from day one...and for that matter, any other Marvel title to which he set his mind?

3 hours ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

No. Everett drew the Sub-Mariner figures and Burgos the Human Torch figures

Well, so what would be the rarest of these drawings, the Daredevil or the Human Torch? Maybe he had it in his portfolio because he secretly wanted to draw him in the comics (LOL). I actually like Burgos's version better. My dad has a Schomberg drawing of the Torch and Toro burning through a Nazi Flag, from the late 1950's, but I didn't like his version of Toro.

43 minutes ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Well, so what would be the rarest of these drawings, the Daredevil or the Human Torch? Maybe he had it in his portfolio because he secretly wanted to draw him in the comics (LOL). I actually like Burgos's version better. My dad has a Schomberg drawing of the Torch and Toro burning through a Nazi Flag, from the late 1950's, but I didn't like his version of Toro.

The Daredevil is more rare.

11 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Please refresh my memory - what work did Everett do on Human Torch in the Golden Age?

Off the top of my head, Subby and Torch was the first cross-over in MMC 8 - 10... Everett was one of the creators of that storyline...not sure how often Everett drew the Torch vs. Burgos though

41 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

Off the top of my head, Subby and Torch was the first cross-over in MMC 8 - 10... Everett was one of the creators of that storyline...not sure how often Everett drew the Torch vs. Burgos though

See the discussion above - Everett never drew the Torch...

In summary:

11_subby_everett.jpg

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

In summary:

11_subby_everett.jpg

Excellent information and appreciate the feedback I was able to contact Mr. Everett's daughter who commented on all the pics I showed her. She was happy to see them.