• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are 10’s a myth?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I recently sent in my first batch of comics. Mostly I sent in my best preserved books, and then I still requested the pressing for them.

Here’s 2 of the 40 I sent. They looked flawless from front to back. I did submit some obvious dingers, so I could see how they judge some damage.

I’m curious, is it unrealistic to expect some 10.0’s out of 30+ well kept comics?

D5563FCD-19D5-4777-A84B-D39DCE0C80FF.jpeg

A3F6FA5B-7334-4AD0-B84D-12852DEA371E.jpeg

5 hours ago, Curtis Clements said:

is it unrealistic to expect some 10.0’s out of 30+ well kept comics?

Yes. That's because 10s are hard to get and if you think about it they should be. 

Edited by Jeffro.

On 11/29/2020 at 3:14 AM, Curtis Clements said:

I recently sent in my first batch of comics. Mostly I sent in my best preserved books, and then I still requested the pressing for them.

Here’s 2 of the 40 I sent. They looked flawless from front to back. I did submit some obvious dingers, so I could see how they judge some damage.

I’m curious, is it unrealistic to expect some 10.0’s out of 30+ well kept comics?

10/Gem Mints are not a "myth", but yes, it's unrealistic to expect such a result. You have to consider many things, such as:

• Your untrained (or sometimes even trained) eyes may not be as good as CGC's graders'.
  • Possible damage in-transit.
  • Possible damage from handling on your - or CGC's - end.

Gem Mint is the only objective grade in the game. The number suggests literal perfection. Completely flat, no edge wear, no corner wear, no fingerprints, no evidence of handling, perfect staple placement, etc. They're the rarest of the rare (unless you take a look at Batman: Damned).

Definitely temper expectations.

Yes. It is extremely unrealistic to submit 30 comics and expect a 10....or even a 9.9

As others have already pointed out, they are statistically rare. 

And don't let people tell you there is no difference in a 9.8 or a 9.9 or a 10.

There is. 

Now. Are they worth the price premiums? That's for everyone to decide on their own.

I used to lay down the heavy premiums for 9.9s (I owned around 16 at one time) but it was a foolish mistake, in retrospect. 2c

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have subbed hundreds of books. I've never gotten a 9.9 or a 10.0. I even purchased unopened Diamond Distributor boxes full of early Spawn issues. I went through hundreds and cherry picked. No luck on my subs. I wrote a whole thread about this in my CGC journal before the board overlords (idiotically, IMHO) decided to change the journal format without listening to the screams of everyone begging them to go back. They moved my journals to god knows where. :frustrated:

Edited by newshane

9 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I've received a few 9.9s over the years, all cardstock covers. No 10.0s however. 

To the OP, don't be surprised if you submit those 30 comics and don't even receive 9.8s.

Man, that would be crushing not to get at least a bunch of 9.8's. Most of them were unread copies (I bought doubles) and I taped them shut. When I checked the pages for colors, you could hear how crisp the pages were. But sounds like I should be surprised if I get any above a 9.8.

I'll post some of the results when I get them back.

49 minutes ago, Curtis Clements said:

Man, that would be crushing not to get at least a bunch of 9.8's. Most of them were unread copies (I bought doubles) and I taped them shut. When I checked the pages for colors, you could hear how crisp the pages were. But sounds like I should be surprised if I get any above a 9.8.

Just FYI: "Unread" doesn't mean anything.

I would say that on average the unread copies on the shelves are a 9.4 grade prior to customer handling.

There is a "Please Grade My" sub-forum, if you're interested in any opinions prior to submitting an order. There are some rules to read before posting there, if you choose to ask.

21 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have held a Batman: The Killing Joke cgc 10 in my hand. Visually comparing the cgc 9.8 I owned to the cgc 10 I honestly couldnt tell the difference. It is my belief that the difference is not visible to the eye and microscopic.

It will be if you keep holding it in your hand and it's not encased.  It doesn't take much to wake the sleeping dogs at CGC. 

Edited by Glassman10

5 hours ago, Curtis Clements said:

Unless you had a very discerning eye, you should expect a lot of 9.6s.  Out of my first two modern submission, which were almost exclusively copper books, most were 9.6.  They were very very nice, but not to the level of 9.8. It took me many many months to be able to confidently choose 9.8s.

I have submitted well over 100,000 books under my dealer account over the last 14 years and I have noticed an interesting trend for 9.9 and 10.0 books. I may go a few years without getting any, and then all of a sudden get 5-6 9.9's within a few months of each other. Time passes and again nothing above 9.8 and "boom" a few 9.9's within a few months of each other. Take it for what you will, but I see a small pattern.

I have gotten a few 10.0's but they were not conventional comics. Either premiere format or leather type (lady Death) or thick stock moderns. 

23 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have held a Batman: The Killing Joke cgc 10 in my hand. Visually comparing the cgc 9.8 I owned to the cgc 10 I honestly couldnt tell the difference. It is my belief that the difference is not visible to the eye and microscopic.

Its funny you mentioned this book, because it is the exact same one I thought of when I dove into this post. I have a 9.8 also, and when I subbed it, I thought that was the lowest possible grade it could get. And I've never thought that way about any other book I've owned or submitted.