• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are 10’s a myth?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, J-KComics said:

Yes it is almost a myth. Between Trading cards and comics.. CGC has never sent me anything over a 9.8 or over a 9.5 on a card. makes me a little peeved when I have spent 6 thousand on grading in the last few months. 

I don't see why you would be "peeved"? If they are accurately assessing the condition of your collectibles, then you are getting what you're paying for.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't see why you would be "peeved"? If they are accurately assessing the condition of your collectibles, then you are getting what you're paying for.

True... but what really separate's a 9.8 from a 9.9 or a 10.... not very much... sooo the chances of sending in the amount I have sent it and not receive a 10 is a bit discouraging at times. 

4 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

True... but what really separate's a 9.8 from a 9.9 or a 10.... not very much... sooo the chances of sending in the amount I have sent it and not receive a 10 is a bit discouraging at times. 

Are you expecting any Mints or Gem Mints? If you are, then I would suggest lowering your expectations. Then, one day, if you get one, you'll be joyous rather than, "finally". 9.8 is really the best that you can reasonably ask for.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread; Gem Mint notates literal perfection. It's the rarest condition you can find. With manufacturing and handling they are inherently difficult to produce and find.

In a scale that lacks any other 0.1-point difference in evaluation, I find no comfort in the 9.9 grade. You will likely be completely unable to differentiate its condition from a 9.8. IMO 9.9 shouldn't exist on CGC's scale.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are you expecting any Mints or Gem Mints? If you are, then I would suggest lowering your expectations. Then, one day, if you get one, you'll be joyous rather than, "finally". 9.8 is really the best that you can reasonably ask for.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread; Gem Mint notates literal perfection. It's the rarest condition you can find. With manufacturing and handling they are inherently difficult to produce and find.

In a scale that lacks any other 0.1-point difference in evaluation, I find no comfort in the 9.9 grade. You will likely be completely unable to differentiate its condition from a 9.8. IMO 9.9 shouldn't exist on CGC's scale.

I really don't expect it but it would be nice some day. lol yes I know it is means it is perfect in every way. Wish I could get one some day. :)

1 minute ago, J-KComics said:

I really don't expect it but it would be nice some day. lol yes I know it is means it is perfect in every way. Wish I could get one some day. :)

I'd kill to have a Spawn #1, Kingdom Come #4, or Dark Knight Returns #1 in Gem Mint.

If you ever want one just to have one, Batman: Damned goes for < $500 these days.

On 12/3/2020 at 11:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'd kill to have a Spawn #1, Kingdom Come #4, or Dark Knight Returns #1 in Gem Mint.

If you ever want one just to have one, Batman: Damned goes for < $500 these days.

I have 3 spawn #1 9.8 9.6 and 9.4 CGC. Haven't gotten around to selling the 9.6 and 9.4 as of yet. Kingdom come #4 would be amazing!

Twenty five from my first batch have been graded. No 10’s, but twenty 9.8’s.

Of the five with deductions, 2 had rubbing and 2 had finger prints. All I knew but wanted to see how they grade them. 

The last one was a 9.6 of Image Zero. That’s my only disappointment. Was obviously hoping for a 9.8. 

15 more to go.