• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cases/slabs easy to crack open

9 posts in this topic

I have seen a few videos lately regarding the CGC Trading card cases saying some have proven easy to crack open and then reseal whilst showing little to no sign of tampering. As someone looking to back CGC and support them through my own business this is worrying. Was this just a bad batch? Also have this been or is it being rectified? 

Kind regards

Daniel Crouch 

I've also seen a video where the person gave a glowing review of the CGC graded cards, then a case opened (came apart on it's own) and the card fell out. Sure of course that could have been faked, but the guy even after that occurred was playing up CGC like he was a stakeholder :)

IMHO it's an auspicious start and one that may put CGC in no win situations in the court of public perception. 

Seems like with proper Quality Assurance/Control and testing this could have been avoided. As I recall and have read for comics CGC conducted extensive testing that took a year or more pre-2000.  Was that done with cards? If yes then how was all this missed or did something change on the Production front at last moment. If that did occur then why was that not QA tested? If it occurred without their knowledge that just as great of a concern. As mentioned a no-win situation that this occurred.

While I'm not a big fan of Beckett, nor an avid supported of either SGC or PSA  in the realm of buyer opinion based on eBay and auction house sales, PSA remains on solid ground (for better or worse).  CGC will be grading Sports Cards soon --  I mean no offense but if I am sending Sports cards in, even if wait is longer, from a purely fiscal perspective at this point in time it is foolish not to use PSA (or SGC for pre-war non-mainstream cards as they are better at detecting restoration and counterfeits on ancient obscure stuff)

I do still have great hope, CGC will be in Cards what they are to Comics. Sadly now it appears PSA's reign and Stockholm Syndrome type hold among collectors (including myself?) will persist for the foreseeable future.

P.S. here is the "How to spot TAMPERED CGC Trading Cards Cases"

Edited by MAR1979

I think the 'stockholm syndrome' types are driving a lot of this case cracking worry, to be honest.  PSA and Beckett cases can be compromised, have been compromised, and will be compromised in the future.  The people cracking PSA cases open to commit fraud are not posting youtube videos about it.  Seems like a lot of concern trolling to me, by folks who will let PSA drag them through poor a service experience and thank them for it.  

5 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

I think the 'stockholm syndrome' types are driving a lot of this case cracking worry, to be honest.  PSA and Beckett cases can be compromised, have been compromised, and will be compromised in the future.  The people cracking PSA cases open to commit fraud are not posting youtube videos about it.  Seems like a lot of concern trolling to me, by folks who will let PSA drag them through poor a service experience and thank them for it.  

I agree with you there. I remember this video from a while back about PSA scams. If you type "PSA Slab Scam" you will get pages of pages of results from forums where people discuss or have been scammed by similar practices.

While I agree CGC should address any concerns on their end, it's weird to see the amount of fear mongering about the brand. Seems people came in hating CGC grading, and want to see the brand fail instead of believing the company can improve. 

I mean, it's generating clicks for these YouTube channels.  A lot of those channels are also tied in with PSA and Beckett in a variety of ways, as they are essentially a form of advertising for those brands.  I'm highly skeptical of a lot of the social media and YouTube content I see critical of CGC for what I know has happened in the industry ever since they started sonic welding cardboard and throwing a value on it.

This is definitely a concerning issue and one that CGC needs to publicly address and retroactively fix as damning as it may be - either free recasings with redesigned cases for existing CGC cards or another solution. 

I've noticed that many references are being made about their photo scanning of the cases in the database and that buyers can reference those photos when buying a CGC card but honestly that should be the LAST line of defense, not the FIRST option.

I heard rumblings of these issues, and was curious so I cracked two slabs myself with just my fingernails with VERY little or almost NO telling signs that the case had been compromised.

I have two videos of me doing so if any CGC representative would like to reach out to me, I can share the videos privately. 

I have not publicly released said videos because I dont want to cause a massive fuss, but if these issues aren't publicly addressed to a larger degree than "we are working on it and listening to feedback," I will feel obligated to release the videos to warn potential buyers of CGC graded cards.

This is highly alarming and something that should have been torture tested from day zero. The most important thing when buying expensive and graded collectibles is confidence and right now that confidence is beginning to crack (no pun intended).

Just some tough love, I do support CGC and hope they succeed but this HAS to be addressed. 

• Administrator

We've carefully calibrated our ultrasonic welders to ensure a tight and attractive seal. We also image every card after our encapsulation process and post those images to our website for an added layer of security.

That being said, we are constantly working with product and machinery engineers to improve our holders. One of the soon-to-be-released improvements for the CGC Trading Cards holder will result in an even tighter seal

Paul