• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Probably one of the top items in my collection
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Awesome story. Wow, a doctorate in Electrical Engineering! When I finished my Bachelors in EE, I ran for the hills and vowed to never come back. What was your thesis on?

40 minutes ago, piper said:

Awesome story. Wow, a doctorate in Electrical Engineering! When I finished my Bachelors in EE, I ran for the hills and vowed to never come back. What was your thesis on?

Course work was semiconductor device physics by my PhD thesis was on light scatter by deep sub micron particles of patterned surfaces.

Alas, the closest I ever came to semiconductor physics was providing helpful directions to someone boarding Amtrak.

(I can tell that this is going to be one of those jokes nobody gets but me)  :sorry:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Guinness Imperial Stout

9 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

No.

Who hasn't sold him some nice books or art?

hm People who did not have nice book's like you and me back than :whistle:

The same could be said abought getting a letter from  Sprang :baiting:Lots of fans might have got 1 but it's cool to have right :banana:

Edited by woowoo

3 hours ago, AJD said:

Makes me wonder how many scientist/engineer types there are around here. hm

Disclaimer: lapsed quantum field theorist here.

Sounds like a poll topic.  My best guess would be that lawyers top the list.  As an artist, the best I can do is claim to being framed and rest my case without a closing argument. ;)

41 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Sounds like a poll topic.  My best guess would be that lawyers top the list.  As an artist, the best I can do is claim to being framed and rest my case without a closing argument. ;)

Just a quick FYI, when I started college I had to decide do I major in art or engineering. My mom talked me into engineering but take art classes as electives.  Art classes didn’t count for humanity classes for an engineering degree so I never took any classes in college.  I never regretted my decision.  Engineering was a blast up to about 10 years ago.  Sadly now it is all about the money and trying to decide the right time to walk away and do something different.

14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

The year was 1996.  I was attending ASU in Tempe, AZ working on my PhD.  I had just started working on my dissertation when I discovered D ick Sprang lived in Prescott.  I was able to get his address and sent him a letter telling him how much I loved his work and how it inspired me in my pursuit of my PhD.  To my shock and surprise, he wrote back.  I have been trying to find that letter but no luck until tonight.  After he passed, I was really glad I decided to write him back then.

dSprangEn.jpg

dSprangLet.jpg

A sincere THANK YOU for sharing this.  Read it twice.  Absolutely beautiful.  It really made my day.  

I recently picked up a lower grade Batman 73, one of THE best Batman covers ever IMO.  I know he is so synonymous with Batman, but honestly his Superman art is great too.  There isn't as much out there but I have seen some come up on Heritage and he was great with that character too, kind of made it like a tad more modernized Shuster/Fred Ray version if that makes sense.  The guy was a genius at what he did, I guess you guys have that in common. (thumbsu