• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazine pressing
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have a guy working on pressing some of my SI's and other mixes of some of my favorite magazine covers and i told him i'd get info on the magazine pressing process compared to pressing comic books. he's only done comic books and he's good at it but brand new to magazines.

We are just trying to get out some handling, non color breaking creases

obviously magazines are much thicker than comics and different interior pages although basically the same thickness. The covers are also similar but different paper unless its a thicker stock cover

I told him that it's obvious you wouldn't press with too much pressure (that you would a comic) and he should put the same pressure he would on a comic annual which is bounded and thick

has anyone worked on pressing magazines and any tips i can give to him??? any successes you found by pressing? 

thanks in advance

1 hour ago, miscus555 said:

I told him that it's obvious you wouldn't press with too much pressure (that you would a comic) and he should put the same pressure he would on a comic annual which is bounded and thick

I'd go the other way on this.  If you're going to press a magazine, these are the rules I recommend:

• You should use as much heat, humidity and pressure as possible.  
  • Light pressure is for wimps.  Just like low temperatures
  • If the magazine can't take it, it wasn't meant to be graded.  
  • Don't just press it once.  You may be leaving some sort of maximization potential on the table for the next guy.  If pressing it once is good, pressing 5 times is even better.
  • Press it at least 6 or 7 times, approximately a week apart each.
  • Don't worry about staple tears or popped centerfolds or cover shrinkage.  These are just indications of inferior printing materials, not artifacts of pressing.

Press it until the inks start to run, that's what I always say.  :sumo:

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

I'd go the other way on this.  If you're going to press a magazine, these are the rules I recommend:

• Don't just press it once.  You may be leaving some sort of maximization potential on the table for the next guy.  If pressing it once is good, pressing 5 times is even better.
  • Don't worry about staple tears or popped centerfolds or cover shrinkage.  These are just indications of inferior printing materials, not artifacts of pressing.

^^

@miscus555 You'll find that specific pressing info (ie tips and techniques, ie proprietary information) is going to be tough to come by on this board and even if someone offers up their secrets, you have to take into account the source and experience of the person offering up that information. There are a lot of people who think they know what they are talking about, and some do, but there are also a lot of people who offer up their "opinions" because they think they know more than they do while in reality they just like to hear themselves talk.

Still, you may find someone credible who will help so who knows. Good luck. 

Edited by Jeffro.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:16 AM, Randall Dowling said:

hahaha we went with your exact recipe. all color breaks completely disappeared! those magazines were the non wimpy type!

On 12/1/2020 at 10:15 AM, Jeffro. said:

@miscus555 You'll find that specific pressing info (ie tips and techniques, ie proprietary information) is going to be tough to come by on this board and even if someone offers up their secrets, you have to take into account the source and experience of the person offering up that information. There are a lot of people who think they know what they are talking about, and some do, but there are also a lot of people who offer up their "opinions" because they think they know more than they do while in reality they just like to hear themselves talk.

Still, you may find someone credible who will help so who knows. Good luck. 

thanks yeah i know its not customary to share all secrets but i was just looking for some basic magazine pressing standards. My guy worked on them and had some success getting out piches and non color breaking creases without any disasters. so i guess i'll see what comes back

thanks!

Not really pointed at any one person, but.....

I just dont understand the pressing thing, I mean I guess I do but...

Collecting comics in high grade is a challenge to me. Why would I manufacture a grade taking the challenge of finding a special example completely out of the equation.  That's the fun of collecting,  no?

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Collecting comics in high grade is a challenge to me. Why would I manufacture a grade taking the challenge of finding a special example completely out of the equation.  That's the fun of collecting,  no?

Exactly.

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I feel the same way about shirts. I try and find wrinkle free in the wild. 

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I call it "DE-pressing..."