• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 collecting in the rear-view review (the good stuff)
8 8

212 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2020 at 3:04 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

Comic wise I have a few additions I would like to share but first I can’t tell you how long I’ve been waiting to find a Jon Berk book. Well most of you could probably guess it’s been 3 long years as I put all my eggs in one basket in 2017 and lost during the original auction and I have been patiently waiting for something to pop up that would fit my admiration of his collection and what I truly enjoy. Hindsight is usually 20/20 looking back now if I would have known I was going to lose the book I was hard after I would have went after a few others and this would have been one of them. Our Flag Comics #3. Very grateful to have one of this Legends books in my collection now!!

E7D749ED-41FB-4336-8318-0F686135A0A8.jpeg

Very well done, Sir!!!

There have been so many wonderful GA beauties presented here so far.  But I have to say, whenever I see @Larryw7’s name at the top of a post, I cannot wait to see what book it is. 

I congratulate everyone in Gold for some absolutely stunning acquisitions this year!

Edited by DocHoppus182
Spelling

4 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

There have been so many wonderful GA beauties presented here so far.  But I have to say, whenever I see @Larryw7’s name at the top of a post, I cannot wait to see what book it is. 

I congratulate everyone in Gold for some absolutely stunning acquisitions this year!

And just think, there are still 25 days of temptation left in this year!    :ohnoez:

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

33 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

While this thread continues looking back to the best of 2020 with an eye toward the future, I'm continually reminded of the toll this year has had on the collecting community, not to mention me personally.  

We lost Bart Bush in August, a driving force of the half century old Oklahoma Alliance of Fans and the revived OAFcons...

image.thumb.png.ae2ca566d0e991fd4b57d7dff5b1d3e9.png

Yesterday, another founding OAF member, Don Maris, passed away from declining health and age related issues.  

This was the last pre-lockdown group photo (Feb. 12th) from a local Metroplex lunch get-together that included Don... 

IMG_3839.thumb.JPG.e3264666e96de92e407d1fdfd0a5050e.JPG

Note: I'm on the left with Roxanne who passed away on Nov. 1st. On the back row are Bob Wayne, Buddy Saunders, David Spurlock, and Steve Schleef. 

Don Maris is in the front row directly under the second "C" in Comics next to his wife Bernie and Buddy's wife Judy.

With sadness, I raise a toast to those we've lost while looking forward with hope to the coming year!

(thumbsu

brown-shugga-featured.jpg

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

While this thread continues looking back to the best of 2020 with an eye toward the future, I'm continually reminded of the toll this year has had on the collecting community, not to mention me personally.  

We lost Bart Bush in August, a driving force of the half century old Oklahoma Alliance of Fans and the revived OAFcons...

image.thumb.png.ae2ca566d0e991fd4b57d7dff5b1d3e9.png

Yesterday, another founding OAF member, Don Maris, passed away from declining health and age related issues.  

This was the last pre-lockdown group photo (Feb. 12th) from a local Metroplex lunch get-together that included Don... 

IMG_3839.thumb.JPG.e3264666e96de92e407d1fdfd0a5050e.JPG

Note: I'm on the left with Roxanne who passed away on Nov. 1st. On the back row are Bob Wayne, Buddy Saunders, David Spurlock, and Steve Schleef. 

Don Maris is in the front row directly under the second "C" in Comics next to his wife Bernie and Buddy's wife Judy.

With sadness, I raise a toast to those we've lost while looking forward with hope to the coming year!

Wow, now Don Maris? I never met him personally but had many conversations with him many years ago. I was a young budding radio premium collector. I bought a lot and traded with Don for years. He was also so helpful to me. A lot of what I know now was straight from him. He always had the most amazing stuff. A true collector and pioneer in this hobby. He will be missed...

On 12/4/2020 at 1:21 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

This requires a little set-up for which this clip performed by Scott Mckenzie is ideally suited...

:insane:  Now that you're tripping and fully prepped for the psychedelic experience that follows...   :banana:

Reveal hidden contents

(edited)_MM_46_(SF)(2).jpg.97070995c93ac1d860abd3cd62f1b4a9.jpg

:tink:  And that, my friends, is my final big boy acquisition of 2020.  :acclaim:

:applause:

Though technically speaking, the song gets more "likes" than the book.  ;)

Bugger.

That linked "Golden Age Collection" thread was/is one of the best on the Boards. Shame the pics have gone since the great Photophucket moneygrab.

I guess the question "When will the next unrestored Detective #27 come to market?" has been answered.

A smart, clever guy who knew exactly what he was doing.

Vale