• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay question
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Does ebay ever suspend or ban a seller for poor feedback? 

I was looking at book and noticed the seller had 83 negs in the last month, 399 in the last six months and 789 in the last year.  Lots of neutrals as well.

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/greatbookprices2?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560

I won't be bidding on the book but that seems horrendous but I assume as long as folks bid, then ebay is happy.

1 minute ago, telerites said:

Does ebay ever suspend or ban a seller for poor feedback? 

I was looking at book and noticed the seller had 83 negs in the last month, 399 in the last six months and 789 in the last year.  Lots of neutrals as well.

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/greatbookprices2?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560

I won't be bidding on the book but that seems horrendous but I assume as long as folks bid, then ebay is happy.

If their rating gets low enough (driven by defects), they can get a suspension during the monthly or quarterly evaluations.  But as overall percentage, that guy isn't that bad.  I've seen sellers with 2 positive and 10 negative before.  I assume they were suspended at the next eval, but they still had something active.

6 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

If their rating gets low enough (driven by defects), they can get a suspension during the monthly or quarterly evaluations.  But as overall percentage, that guy isn't that bad.  I've seen sellers with 2 positive and 10 negative before.  I assume they were suspended at the next eval, but they still had something active.

Thanks.  I personally think the percentage is bad.  If I see below 99%, I normally do not bid unless it is lower total feedback seller with just one or two negs which can more impact the percentage but when I see a trend like on this seller, it raises my red flag and I move on. 

Just my opinion and wary nature,  Even with buyer protection, just not worth the potential hassle for me.  

4 minutes ago, telerites said:

Thanks.  I personally think the percentage is bad.  If I see below 99%, I normally do not bid unless it is lower total feedback seller with just one or two negs which can more impact the percentage but when I see a trend like on this seller, it raises my red flag and I move on. 

Just my opinion and wary nature,  Even with buyer protection, just not worth the potential hassle for me.  

I should clarify what I meant by "rating (driven by defects)."  Feedback and defects are not necessarily the same.  Theoretically you could be a Top Rated Seller with zero defects but have 100% negative feedback.  Now this is highly unlikely as a practical matter, but it's possible because whether someone gives you a positive or negative feedback is not a part of any internal ebay metric, that I know of.  But if you do everything right (as far as eBay is concerned) and people just hate you and constantly give you negative or neutral feedback, you will never get suspended.

Now as to whether or not to buy from this guy here: in the last month, he managed to disappoint roughly 3 out of every 100 customers enough that they felt the need to give a neutral or negative feedback.  That's not ideal, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me considering they are a bulk seller, and I would guess their issues were simply due to volume.  I would be prepared for the possibility that I'd have to seek a refund though.

8 hours ago, Roo_Phillip said:

If you're bored, read some of that seller's negative feedback.  Looks like he's got a few disgruntled buyers who thought they were purchasing ED meds, but received a book instead.  That'll get you negative feedback every time...   

Thanks for the heads up lol. One of my favs so far.

Capture+_2020-12-02-20-24-40-1.png

12 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I should clarify what I meant by "rating (driven by defects)."  Feedback and defects are not necessarily the same.  Theoretically you could be a Top Rated Seller with zero defects but have 100% negative feedback.  Now this is highly unlikely as a practical matter, but it's possible because whether someone gives you a positive or negative feedback is not a part of any internal ebay metric, that I know of.  But if you do everything right (as far as eBay is concerned) and people just hate you and constantly give you negative or neutral feedback, you will never get suspended.

Now as to whether or not to buy from this guy here: in the last month, he managed to disappoint roughly 3 out of every 100 customers enough that they felt the need to give a neutral or negative feedback.  That's not ideal, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me considering they are a bulk seller, and I would guess their issues were simply due to volume.  I would be prepared for the possibility that I'd have to seek a refund though.

The feedback was removed from Seller Metrics because it spoke for itself.  It was very visible to the buyer, whereas some of the other metrics were more subtle, harder for the buyer to evaluate on their own.  I guess eBay figures you can use your own judgement, reading the comments, basing your decisions on what others are experiencing.

Large volume sellers have difficulty in general getting close to 100%.  Anything above 95% is actually quite good.  Keep in mind that many people don't leave feedback.  Those are usually successful sales, ho hum stuff, nothing to "write" about.  So all of those potential positives are missing.  But if something goes wrong, 100% of THOSE sales are going to have comments. 

If all the missing positives were tabulated, the positive feedback % would be substantially higher.  If all the undeserved negative and neutral feedback was removed (buyer error, didn't read it properly, didn't understand what they were buying, thought 1 star was GREAT! etc.) it would be higher still.