• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marks inside slab?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So just got my first ever slabs. However this one appears to have some sort of marks/dirt/smears inside the slab. I checked the other slab and it has none.

What are these marks? They kind of look like dirt smeared on the inner case. I know this has been re-holdered at some point, is this likely from it not being handled properly and possibly damaged?

How does this affect value? Will it significantly lower it?

MVIMG_20201202_142935~2.jpg

MVIMG_20201202_143014~2.jpg

MVIMG_20201202_143034~3.jpg

22 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's been speculated that those marks assist in the prevention of Newton Rings. They should not effect value; But I cannot be sure of that. "Value" is in the eye of the beholder/buyer.

Are you saying these are intentional? Do CGC add some form of coating inside? I have not read anything about them doing this, my only other slab also latest generation doesn't seem to have any similar marks.

14 minutes ago, Ian callaghan said:

Are you saying these are intentional? Do CGC add some form of coating inside? I have not read anything about them doing this, my only other slab also latest generation doesn't seem to have any similar marks.

It's possible. AFAIK, it's never been corroborated. I don't think that any 'scuffed' slabs have displayed Newton Rings, though.

Why would there be a coating inside the slab?

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's possible. AFAIK, it's never been corroborated. I don't think that any 'scuffed' slabs have displayed Newton Rings, though.

Why would there be a coating inside the slab?

You said it might be to prevent Newton rings, a coating that prevents close contact of the plastics is one way to do that. 

I thought that is what you where suggesting the marks might be.

5 minutes ago, Ian callaghan said:

You said it might be to prevent Newton rings, a coating that prevents close contact of the plastics is one way to do that. 

I thought that is what you where suggesting the marks might be.

No, the scuffs/scratches likely prevent a marriage between plastics (which is what causes the Newton Ring mirage).

This was likely unintentional.  Probably some substance on the inside of the plastic parts right from CGC's distributor.  Didn't get noticed during sealing, technician probably looking closely at the edges to see if everything lined up right, got sealed correctly.  Or they were eating a Snickers.

It's not a perfect world.  If it bothers you, maybe you can give CS a shout out, see what their impression is.

I have had cases with similar marks.  When selling them on eBay, I photograph any imperfections.  I have sold identically graded copies of comics, some with slight slab imperfections, most without, same price.  Even White pages vs. White to Off-White seems to have little impact.

Edited by Lightning55

On 12/9/2020 at 9:38 AM, Mikey C said:

I received back a UF4 1:25 9.6 in October and just noticed the same marks on the inside of the case, directly on the front. Very obvious. I just reached out to CS. I paid over $150 to grade the book and you'd think they'd catch it. Fingers crossed.

Good luck with your venture...  :wishluck: