• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Weird Fantasy 16
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hey Guys. I just bought this off Ebay. I have my opinion of grade and the grade he assigned. Don't want to prejudice it by revealing his grade which I'll do later. Any help would be appreciated to reinforce my case. The book has wrinkling on front cover. Spine is nice and staples are tight. Nice paper. Rear cover has a long diagonal crease as well as a smaller one. You'll see a dirty line along the creases. I'm sure this was from pressing out creases that accumulated the dirt while still folded. Also some dirtiness on rear cover along spine. I've included pictures of outside and inside covers to show the creasing.

IMG_20201201_153135.thumb.jpg.94d95e7df2ebe0646f992ced494c8fac.jpg

IMG_20201201_153208.thumb.jpg.24f023ec28aca523db6fcb732329ff86.jpg

IMG_20201201_153235.thumb.jpg.9720b266774bf630e6f59cfb6af313bc.jpg

IMG_20201201_153318.thumb.jpg.6fa5b782070584dd41f4c5c805daf649.jpg

IMG_20201202_094232.thumb.jpg.d4cb4cf88f709d32483735bdb2533507.jpg

IMG_20201202_094258.thumb.jpg.04ebeda087c15fe012a18b47bd91bfdb.jpg

IMG_20201202_094325.thumb.jpg.2e3a6270c1b820987cb8fc06f8ecfb39.jpg

IMG_20201202_094353.thumb.jpg.fd1b5b36a8851b568e35f4028a5f1725.jpg

Edited by misterrmystery

2 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

Nice book. Some improvement can be made with a press. I'll go with 5.5 as is, and up to 6.5 with a press. Unfortunately that long crease will never go away.

Thanks for your assessment. I agree completely with your grade and the fact that the long crease would never press out. That's what I told this dealer who doesn't want to accept a return. I'll reveal his grade later, which he insists it is.

I'd probably go with a 6.0 as is. If the seller went as high as 7.0 then he'd probably be over grading it. But at least it would be in the ball park. Anything over that and he's just flat out lying. Minor rant coming: So many people selling on Ebay blatantly lie about the grading. Like referring to a G book as VF. And a 100% seller rating means NOTHING. It sucks for the rest of us who sell on Ebay and grade fairly. A lot of people will buy / bid higher on a lesser book that is falsely claimed to be a higher grade than the same book that you are selling at a fairly listed grade. Even though if people just compared the scan they could easily see which book was the superior. I guess they just want to be able to say, "I got a VF copy of ??? for only $20. Look what a great deal I got. VF copies elsewhere are selling for $40". Sorry, rant over.

5 hours ago, misterrmystery said:

Thanks for your assessment. I agree completely with your grade and the fact that the long crease would never press out. That's what I told this dealer who doesn't want to accept a return. I'll reveal his grade later, which he insists it is.

What is the seller's rating and how many transactions? Sometimes if they think you will give them a bad rating they will accept a return just not to spoil their "perfect" 100% feedback. But a lot less likely on a book that expensive.

EDIT: I just checked on EB and *think* I found the book you bought. If so, no way that's VF / 8.0 as he claimed in the listing. And, again if I'm looking at the right listing, the seller has a 95.5% with 4725 transactions. For whatever that's worth. Probably nothing.

6.0 max imo but would agree its more in the 5.5/6.0 range

Greater than 6" crease brings the book down to 6.5 from the get go for me. The rest of the book presents nicely but is not without its minor accumulation of defects and so I would factor in another .5-1.0 drop in grade

Edited by Funnybooks

1 hour ago, WPPJames said:

What is the seller's rating and how many transactions? Sometimes if they think you will give them a bad rating they will accept a return just not to spoil their "perfect" 100% feedback. But a lot less likely on a book that expensive.

EDIT: I just checked on EB and *think* I found the book you bought. If so, no way that's VF / 8.0 as he claimed in the listing. And, again if I'm looking at the right listing, the seller has a 95.5% with 4725 transactions. For whatever that's worth. Probably nothing.

Thanks for commenting and you are right about the seller. He swears it's a VF and I got a good deal. Not a good deal as a 5.5. I told him it was a 5.5 and maybe improvable to a 6,0-6.5. He disagrees and says he has over 50 years of experience. Now he says he'll take the book back but still hasn't accepted. Not worried about losing my money but the delay will cost me.

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

6.0 max imo but would agree its more in the 5.5/6.0 range

Greater than 6" crease brings the book down to 6.5 from the get go for me. The rest of the book presents nicely but is not without its minor accumulation of defects and so I would factor in another .5-1.0 drop in grade

I graded it a 5.5. Lower if it was on front cover. Nice looking book but with serious defect. Grading it a VF is ridiculous. Thanks for the assessment.

Just now, misterrmystery said:

Thanks for commenting and you are right about the seller. He swears it's a VF and I got a good deal. Not a good deal as a 5.5. I told him it was a 5.5 and maybe improvable to a 6,0-6.5. He disagrees and says he has over 50 years of experience. Now he says he'll take the book back but still hasn't accepted. Not worried about losing my money but the delay will cost me.

No way that's an 8.0. I still stick with a max 6.0 on this copy even with a press and clean.

Just now, misterrmystery said:

Unfortunately, when people start telling you about how many years of experience they have and how many books they've sold with never a complaint from any buyer other than you (ha!) you know it's time to bend over and close your eyes. Sorry for that  visual.

1 minute ago, WPPJames said:

Unfortunately, when people start telling you about how many years of experience they have and how many books they've sold with never a complaint from any buyer other than you (ha!) you know it's time to bend over and close your eyes. Sorry for that  visual.

Yeah. This isn't my first rodeo. Now he wants me to send the book and close the complaint so he doesn't get a strike. Had to laugh at that. I put it on a card so not worried about getting my money back.

10 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

Yeah. This isn't my first rodeo. Now he wants me to send the book and close the complaint so he doesn't get a strike. Had to laugh at that. I put it on a card so not worried about getting my money back.

*Exactly* what bad sellers do. And how they keep a good feedback rating that's undeserved. As you already know. I didn't mean to imply you hadn't been to the rodeo before. I purchased an inexpensive book one time. Multiple issues. Seller was incredibly rude, insulting and condescending. He eventually did a cancellation (I get a bit confused between that and a refund -- it's not exactly what it seems to be). Anyway, once that's done, you can't leave feedback. I would have preferred to have lost the money on the book and left negative feedback on the guy, so to hopefully spare someone else all the aggravation I went thru. And I'm not a vindictive person and very hesitant to leave negative feedback and potentially hurt anyone's business. If at all questionable, I just leave no feedback at all.

Too bad. It's an awesome book. I'm sure you'll be able to find another that's fairly graded 

I have 25 years of experience looking at cars and naming cars. When I was a kid of 6, I could name passing cars driving by my window.

Do I really know anything more about cars? Outside of changing oil and tires, nope. Asking me to diagnose a problem would be a waste of your time. But I do have 30 years experience with cars :)

That being said, 6.0-6.5 from me easy. A press might MIGHT get 7.0 but I think it would just guarantee a 6.5

53 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I have 25 years of experience looking at cars and naming cars. When I was a kid of 6, I could name passing cars driving by my window.

Do I really know anything more about cars? Outside of changing oil and tires, nope. Asking me to diagnose a problem would be a waste of your time. But I do have 30 years experience with cars :)

That being said, 6.0-6.5 from me easy. A press might MIGHT get 7.0 but I think it would just guarantee a 6.5

even this one?

10-extremely-weird-cars-youll-never-believe-exist-7.jpg