• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #31
3 3

17 posts in this topic

Thank you everyone; looks like the caucus is coalescing around the 5 range. I appreciate the help; I was hemming and hawing around the cover-tanning issues, but the pages and front present very nicely. This helpful/reinforcing that I wasn’t too generous in my grade-thinking.

@The Lions Den thank you re: note too, but no intentions to slab it. Still, good general advice for slabbing in similiar situations. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

If sending this to CGC, I would advise putting a sticker on the bag which alerts the recipients to the slightly brittle nature of the cover. And 5.0 or 5.5 is usually the range for a book like this...

And it depends on just *how* brittle the graders perceive it to be. IMO, the 5.0 to 5.5 estimates most accurately reflect the overall appearance of the book, but if in hand, the paper leans more towards brittle than not, it could grade much lower. 

10 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Might very well be. The technical grade could drop considerably from the "eye appeal" grade of 5.0/5.5 if the pages make that brittle point of no return in the opinion of the graders. 

Thanks; paper is supple mostly, just that top edge is a bit chippy. Book can be read easily.

45 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thanks; paper is supple mostly, just that top edge is a bit chippy. Book can be read easily.

Then that tips the scale in your favor.  A sure path to 2.0 is submitting what looks to be a midgrade book and the spine starts to crack, split, and separate when even gently handled. If there's no hint of structural weakness like that due to brittling, then I've got 5.5 on this. 

Edited by James J Johnson