• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The First Comic You Ever Purchased?
3 3

110 posts in this topic

Marvel Super-Heroes 45, a Bronze Age reprint of Tales To Astonish 90. Gil Kane drew the Hulk story, introducing The Abomination. Gene Colan drew Subby. 
Both heroes lose their fights! My older brothers told me I had to buy the next issue, because “You can’t leave ‘em like that!”

I currently own about 7 copies. I find them in dollar bins.

1 hour ago, felixthecat said:

I haven't been collecting very long. I wasn't into comics as a child. The first book I ever purchased was Amazing Spider-man #700 from Lee's Comics. 

scan0059.jpg

You gotta love the hobby in which the guy who started with ASM 68 and the guy who started with ASM 700 are equal partners in the same community.

First comic from the newsstand as a kid, 1973, would’ve been either Defenders 5 or Spider-Man Comics Weekly 1, the latter being a Marvel U.K. reprint comic which also had JIM Thor as a second feature.

First by mail order I remember well, summer 1977, an overgraded VG Fantastic Four 20.

First from a shop selling back issues, autumn 1977, would’ve been X- Men 95, an outrageous 5 times cover price at 50p.

First from a comic mart, a U.K. show, autumn 1978, would’ve been Conan 25.

First from an American dealer, Savage Tales 1, winter 1979.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, telerites said:

That is classic, Paul.  I have told you so many times how we have so much in common and are kindred spirits. 

Mine was Defenders #2 which I think I have shared with you before.

I still have have it and posted it in earlier threads of this vein.

868717801_Defenders2OO.thumb.jpg.d37070632731f0bc0411983a3962944d.jpg

That one might’ve been a possibility for me too, but the earliest issues of the title weren’t brought in to the U.K. 

33 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Are you sure you guys aren't just picking some favorite from back in the day?  I don't see how you could possibly remember "your first."  I can't even remember what cereal I had this morning.

ra11577443 6dec. 66 

16469814 19dec.66 

nina dwyer 4/15/64

5 june 1957

7 aug. 67 4:31 am matsflight rvn 223

mikey gallas 1/6/54 first toy fight.

i still recall firsts.

3 aug. 55 sister dupre first ruller smack at paris american school.

full disclosure: i am not an attorney.

5 hours ago, felixthecat said:

I haven't been collecting very long. I wasn't into comics as a child. The first book I ever purchased was Amazing Spider-man #700 from Lee's Comics

That was the shop I would go to.  Sucks that they closed as a result of covid.  Seems like it was something that Lee was thinking about and that covid ultimately hastened that decision.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I remember everything abt the comics I bought as a kid-where, the weather, what I had for lunch-everything.  I had a quarter and went to buy candy at Papadogianis Bros market in sacramento when I noticed the comic rack-I was entranced.  Bought these 2 and a red licorice.  Read the action comics first:
image.jpeg.3b29e3df903d3068da0b08134ffa6bf5.jpegimage.jpeg.3683e0617c0e51555cba4b1ac8a8152d.jpeg

You're the bee's knees, baby.  The cat's meow.  Now I'm off to a speak' to gander some dames. 

First comic that I purchased?  Or that my dad purchased for me?  In any case, here's both side by side (or at least what I think are the firsts).

On the left, Batman 445 which my dad bought me and the book that likely started it all.  My memory's hazy so it's just as possible that my first book could have been an early Marvel Robocop or some Disney comic, but pretty sure it all started in early 1990.

On the right, Batman 611.  I had stopped collecting by 1996 and switched to Magic cards.  In the early 2000's, every now and then when I went to the book store, I would go to the graphic novel section and flip through the TPB's to kill time.  I came across ASM v2 #36 and was blown away by the emotional power of the writing.  I never recalled being amazed by the writing as a kid.  The art always appealed to me more.  Fast forward to 2003 and I had just left the theater after watching X2 and thought I'd stop by the comic shop for nostalgia's sake.  By this point I had a college job and could buy stuff on my own.  I didn't intend to buy anything but ended up talking to the employee at the register who said Jim Lee was doing Batman with Jeph Loeb.  Even as a kid, I remembered Jim's artwork (he actually stopped by the local shop for a Heroes Reborn signing event and my first signed book (not graded) is Fantastic Four v2 #1).  The fact that the early books in his Batman run were sold out had me intrigued so I bought #614 (the new release that month) along with whatever recent issues were still available on the shelf.  I could only go as far back as #611 as everything prior had sold out.  I've been collecting books every month since that fateful visit in May.

image.thumb.png.69de337f45706d856e3e1f367420091a.png