• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The First Comic You Ever Purchased?
3 3

110 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Are you sure you guys aren't just picking some favorite from back in the day?  I don't see how you could possibly remember "your first."  I can't even remember what cereal I had this morning.

All I remember is the school friend who got me started had me meet him at a local pharmacy.    He was a big DC guy so went to the spinner racks and I bought as many DC as I could with the money I had.

And for the record the record, i had a bowl of Life cereal for breakfast today.

Edited by csaag
Add info

As a kid I had no interest in new comics I saw even though I somehow got some Transformers, GI Joe and heathcliff comics over the years somehow since they were around I remember. The only comics I liked were the tons of 60s and 70s westerns and horror stuff my cousin gave me as a kid.

The first comics I bought with my own money I earned myself was when I was 12 and bought a bunch of 40s and 50s comics at a junk shop. I know lots of old four colors were in there like Gene Autry, Lone Ranger, some Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, Uncle Scrooges, Archies andI think Blackhawk #23 was in that stack. I forget what else.

001.JPG.4d932930b6bb28be7b6abc61dd3bdd4a.JPG

5 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

Prior to this I had the spidey colorforms and the Marvel sticker set. The ones with a giant colored circle behind the character.

I remember those!! Didn't the Spidey have a yellow circle and wasn't the Hulk shown mid leap? I have a Thing sticker somewhere that was a full-size sticker on the back. The front ones I used.  :cloud9:

Edit: I found these from a completed auction on the 'Bay:

Marvel_superhero_stickers1.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
add picture

On 12/3/2020 at 4:04 PM, Mike Bray said:

Detective 439 was my first -- still have the original now coverless copy -- 

detective439-max-1400.jpg

Great place to start.  Absolutely loved the 100 pagers as a kid.

I'd started reading comics regularly only a short time before these appeared, but the excitement I felt going to the newsstand for them each month was incredible.  Couldn't wait to see which titles went giant-size, and their selections of older reprints.  For me, the Detectives had the best overall quality for both new material and reprints.

18 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I remember those!! Didn't the Spidey have a yellow circle and wasn't the Hulk shown mid leap? I have a Thing sticker somewhere that was a full-size sticker on the back. The front ones I used.  :cloud9:

Edit: I found these from a completed auction on the 'Bay:

Marvel_superhero_stickers1.jpg

Those the ones. My wife was talking one time about a house she was looking at buying when she was younger and she mentioned seeing this stickers all over the kids room up in the renovated attic. I laughed and started to describe my old room. Hilarious coincidence and that those stickers were there 20 years later. This happened in a town of about 100k people.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:19 PM, Poekaymon said:

Are you sure you guys aren't just picking some favorite from back in the day?  I don't see how you could possibly remember "your first."  I can't even remember what cereal I had this morning.

First from a newsstand - I recall the cover of Defenders 5 vividly.  First time I'd been given 50p by my gran to go away and buy some comics while she and my mother went for a coffee and some pie in the bus station cafe.  Basically, a bribe to stop me pestering them for a while and have some peace and quiet.  I was a disruptive, headache-inducing kid.  

First from a shop selling back issues - A bookshop in my small town started getting in ND Marvel comics, ones that hadn't been distributed to the UK.  As a lifelong X-Men fan, I was immediately drawn to an issue 95, and the choice was either that or a Giant-Size issue for 50p. (GS X-Men 1 never turned up there.)  When I read it at home the book had the shocking death of Thunderbird in it, which makes that purchase very memorable.

First from a comic mart - I was and I still am a Conan fan, and I'd put together a run of 1 to 24 by mail order.  I'd gone to my first comic mart with the focused intention of buying even more, and the first one I eagerly picked out of the box was a pence copy of issue 25, then continuing through to around issue 40, until I'd blown all of my meagre kid's allowance on as many of the The Cimmerian's early adventures as I could afford.  So, couldn't have been anything else.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:50 PM, mrc said:

32e1d4808b0590fbd1b62a7ad34eaf98.jpg

The only reason I picked up this book was because of a very short TV ad for it - with the promise of a 'free' Spider-man mask.....:whatthe:

Little did I know that a week later I'd be struggling to try and put a square paper bag over my head....:facepalm:............lol

I'd missed the MWOMs, and this was the first Marvel UK comic I bought myself.  Vividly recall the JIM 83 reprint.

10 hours ago, ChrispyC66 said:

FF 165. Bought it at a local grocery store spinner rack.

491583A3-80F3-41A9-A5CD-126065173D6D.thumb.jpeg.9c2ef079c0bed9d28e269704b0bc9549.jpeg

One of my favourite Bronze Age FF comics.  A two-parter.  Psychotic Marvel Boy.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

do you remember what happened when he met Al Capone ?

I was fascinated by the story of the robot that melted his hands and had to think of clever ways to hide them.
Little did i realize i would do likewise when i blew my hands up at age 16.