• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The First Comic You Ever Purchased?
3 3

110 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ender said:

I guess this is first magazine. Bugged my dad about it until he broke down and bought it at Barley’s 7/11 in Childress Texas. This is that copy. 

image.jpg

I had my parents buy that for me when it came out. I completely devoured it in anticipation of the movie. One interesting bit of trivia is that the magazine shows a still from the movie of the little girl on the train who sees teenage Clark run by at super speed. The caption to the picture identifies the little girl as a young Lois Lane. Many years later, I learned that that scene had originally intended for that to be Lois, but that piece of info was later cut from the movie. I was so confused as a child as to why the magazine was making that claim.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, Poekaymon said:

Are you sure you guys aren't just picking some favorite from back in the day?  I don't see how you could possibly remember "your first."  I can't even remember what cereal I had this morning.

Nope. Definitely FF 165,

1975 - I was with Mom, grocery shopping at Moss’ Supermarket on route 21 in Uniontown, PA.  I saw the comic book spinner rack. Mom kept going while I thumbed through all the comics they had. It turns out a spinner rack is a good  babysitter for a nine year old in a grocery store. She came back later and said I could pick only one to buy. Mom never had a problem getting me to go grocery shopping for the next few years :cloud9:

Mom and Moss’ are long gone but I still have the comic book and the memory.

Just now, ChrispyC66 said:

Nope. Definitely FF 165,

1975 - I was with Mom, grocery shopping at Moss’ Supermarket on route 21 in Uniontown, PA.  I saw the comic book spinner rack. Mom kept going while I thumbed through all the comics they had. It turns out a spinner rack is a good  babysitter for a nine year old in a grocery store. She came back later and said I could pick only one to buy. Mom never had a problem getting me to go grocery shopping for the next few years :cloud9:

Mom and Moss’ are long gone but I still have the comic book and the memory.

i bought that issue also ,,, and i kept buying them as the price went to 30 cents ,,, but when they went up to 35 cent i was outraged and quit collecting as they had become too expensive lol 

On 12/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, Poekaymon said:

Are you sure you guys aren't just picking some favorite from back in the day?  I don't see how you could possibly remember "your first."  I can't even remember what cereal I had this morning.

you never forget your first one .......

Conan_the_Barbarian_Vol_1_269.jpg.5f06b7ff94718ed3b87af9493ff40548.jpg

Conan The Barbarian 269. I was 12, on a family holiday in Spain,and I bought it in a local corner shop, as it was one of the few comics in English. It was my first American comic book. I still have it, the cover is all wrinkled from when I would read it by the hotel pool after a swim with wet hands :bigsmile:

I love to tell this story. I was about 12-13 years old when my mother brought me to some kind of fair. There was a lot of stuff and at the end of the room I saw a comic book sale. I walked over and was very surprised. These were real comics. Not the ones that were sold in our newsstands under the guise of comics, but inside there were only mini games, stickers and cards. These were real comics with only 20 plot pages (though it's worth noting that our comics do not have ads, unlike the American ones). I looked at it for a long time, but I had only 150 rubles (2.50 dollars at the then exchange rate). The salesperson sold me a second set of "Hard Boiled" and gave me a third at a discount. I came home, read it and just fell in love with comics. Since then, Geof Darrow is my favorite artist. I still keep these issues.
But it was a translation. And the first comics in the original were some random episodes of Spider-Man and Daredevil of the 90s. I bought them because I seriously believed that they would grow in price over the years. I may not have been born in America in the 90s, when many children bought comics with the hope that their prices would rise, but I quite felt this experience in 2015:bigsmile:

RHkCNNTBzCg.jpg

7 hours ago, rfhbv100 said:

I love to tell this story. I was about 12-13 years old when my mother brought me to some kind of fair. There was a lot of stuff and at the end of the room I saw a comic book sale. I walked over and was very surprised. These were real comics. Not the ones that were sold in our newsstands under the guise of comics, but inside there were only mini games, stickers and cards. These were real comics with only 20 plot pages (though it's worth noting that our comics do not have ads, unlike the American ones). I looked at it for a long time, but I had only 150 rubles (2.50 dollars at the then exchange rate). The salesperson sold me a second set of "Hard Boiled" and gave me a third at a discount. I came home, read it and just fell in love with comics. Since then, Geof Darrow is my favorite artist. I still keep these issues.
But it was a translation. And the first comics in the original were some random episodes of Spider-Man and Daredevil of the 90s. I bought them because I seriously believed that they would grow in price over the years. I may not have been born in America in the 90s, when many children bought comics with the hope that their prices would rise, but I quite felt this experience in 2015:bigsmile:

RHkCNNTBzCg.jpg

Hard Boiled was one of my favorites as a kid as well.  I rebought them recently and read it again and realized for the first time that it has almost no story whatsoever.  Darrow is awesome though.

22 hours ago, tvindy said:

I had my parents buy that for me when it came out. I completely devoured it in anticipation of the movie. One interesting bit of trivia is that the magazine shows a still from the movie of the little girl on the train who sees teenage Clark run by at super speed. The caption to the picture identifies the little girl as a young Lois Lane. Many years later, I learned that that scene had originally intended for that to be Lois, but that piece of info was later cut from the movie. I was so confused as a child as to why the magazine was making that claim.

when the movie was shown onTV there were extra flying scenes when superman jumps out the window.  They were the best most realistic flying scenes some genius editor cut them for some numbskull reason.

6 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Cinnamon or Original?

original of course.

While I don't remember what  I actually bought first, I do remember what prob got me started.  My father came home one day and tossed this to me (which prob sent it from a 9.4 down to an 8.5...)

Dave's Comic Heroes Blog: Flash Facts: Evil Elongated Man?