• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The First Comic You Ever Purchased?
3 3

110 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Nice.  Reminds me of an old purchase I made that turned out to be somewhat less thrilling than advertised.

seamonkeys000-640x488.jpg.df2059f8382f2cfaee7f19e593506ea5.jpg

How abt this one-I was sure I'd be terrifying other kids by shooting sparks out of my eyes.  Instead I received instructions to glue foil on my eyelids and when I was on stage the lights would make it look like flashing when I blinked.
Because we all know 10 year old kids are on stage all the time.

Champion City Comics: KAV'S COMIC DISCOVERIES: FLASHING EYES

On 12/4/2020 at 6:42 PM, nepatkm said:

The first book I ever purchased off the rack at the corner store with my own money was ASM #129. Still have it, in loved, read and traveled with my life many times. :cloud9:

2B68082F-A042-432B-97D9-90B9D23F39D2.jpeg

Just curious as to your initial thoughts on Punisher upon seeing this the first time? I'm pretty sure you thought he was a villain? It was way before my time and I don't think there was any expectation or inkling of a new character. Unless it was previewed in another comic or somewhere? There wasn't anything on 128. I think it was just dropped on people. 

On 05.12.2020 at 02:42, nepatkm said:

Первой книгой, которую я когда-либо купил в магазине на углу на свои деньги, была ASM # 129. Я до сих пор люблю его, читал и много раз путешествовал со своей жизнью. :Облако 9:

2B68082F-A042-432B-97D9-90B9D23F39D2.jpeg

it must be an incredible feeling to buy a key issue for 20 cents and have one of the most coveted comics decades later. I envy you

5 hours ago, rfhbv100 said:

it must be an incredible feeling to buy a key issue for 20 cents and have one of the most coveted comics decades later. I envy you

i remember in the late 1970's filling holes in my ASM run and i was missing this issue but when i picked it up at an LCS it was only 75 cents . i never thought it was anything special , just another issue back then ...

On 12/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, Poekaymon said:

Are you sure you guys aren't just picking some favorite from back in the day?  I don't see how you could possibly remember "your first."  I can't even remember what cereal I had this morning.

I still have my copy of Whitman Road Runner which was the first comic I was ever given. 

However, I remember the GI Joe comics as I had seen commercials for the comics and on a trip to Toys R Us I remember my mom saying you can get a GI Joe figure with your allowance or the comics but you are not getting both.  I also remember hiding the figure and sneaking off on my bike to buy it a few days later.  lol 

My family had a lake cabin in northern Minnesota - there was a corner store that had a comic spinner rack. My brothers and I would buy stacks of comics every summer starting in about 1970 and we'd read them to death. First comic I bought as a comic collector was probably Fantastic Four 161.

13 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just curious as to your initial thoughts on Punisher upon seeing this the first time? I'm pretty sure you thought he was a villain? It was way before my time and I don't think there was any expectation or inkling of a new character. Unless it was previewed in another comic or somewhere? There wasn't anything on 128. I think it was just dropped on people. 

I really didn’t have any thoughts when I was getting it, (first comic, knew who Spider-Man was, I was just starting to read also). I honestly didn’t care much for the Punisher then, didn’t understand how he was fooled by The Jackyl just on how he looked alone. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I really started liking the Punisher after the 1985 limited Circle of Blood series, then sought out the Magazines from the earlier days. (Marvel Preview #2, Super Action #1)

Then when The 1987 series came out I was a fan of character. 💀

Edited by nepatkm

21 hours ago, kav said:

when the movie was shown onTV there were extra flying scenes when superman jumps out the window.  They were the best most realistic flying scenes some genius editor cut them for some numbskull reason.

Interesting. I didn't know about the cut flying scenes. As a child, the flying scenes that most impressed me were from the live action Saturday morning episodes of Shazam. Unlike Superman, when Shazam got to where he was going (by flying), he always dropped his legs and pointed his feet at the ground. Superman was always shown to dive toward the ground, but somehow he always landed on his feet. That never made any sense to me.

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I still have my copy of Whitman Road Runner which was the first comic I was ever given. 

However, I remember the GI Joe comics as I had seen commercials for the comics and on a trip to Toys R Us I remember my mom saying you can get a GI Joe figure with your allowance or the comics but you are not getting both.  I also remember hiding the figure and sneaking off on my bike to buy it a few days later.  lol 

This is unrelated to comics but a lasting memory from the 80's as my trips to Toys R Us were so euphoric in them days...when entering the store we always had to pass by the checkout area to get to the transformers section. There was always some kid at one of the lines throwing an epically massive tantrum over something! Unfortunately there was no way to bypass the area so we had no choice but to pass through the storm. 

On 12/3/2020 at 4:11 AM, 01TheDude said:

It was this three pack:

1349744559_ASM147-a.thumb.jpg.4090ade091686ab81d2a05fdb0b18951.jpg

118601464_FF161-a.thumb.jpg.f21216de42aa5f0beda4b7562933ae6d.jpg

1688990480_Hulk190-a.thumb.jpg.3e7ad75bf83ef3b5e23895069df8d4d2.jpg

These are the original books from that purchase, though only the ASM was not replaced with better copies. Sold the IH and FF in a reader group on ebay.

Hey, 01TheDude!

You and I are First Comic Buddies. 

When I was eight, I was sick in bed with one of the childhood favorites (Summer cold? Strep throat?) and my Dad ran down to the pharmacy to find the grossest-tasting medicine he could (because those work the best). He probably felt a little guilty for just how successfully he accomplished that, because he also picked up a few comic books for me, which he had never done before.

My first three comics were Amazing Spider-man 147, Daredevil 124 and The Mighty Thor 237. (Yeah, I know the Thor came out a month before the other two. I think our pharmacy was a little lax with their comics rack.)

image.jpeg.80d7c443d417d2e9ac7c15b716f810bf.jpeg

image.jpeg.08accdab482d1527950954539d159e27.jpeg

image.jpeg.aeb750773fb761a3ec68ca45fccbdfd0.jpeg

By my recollection, I wasn’t a fan of the Thor book, but I was big into both the Spider-man and Daredevil stories, which sadly both ended with the heroes getting killed. Just my luck to find something cool right as it ended.

(I was super surprised a couple of months later to walk into the drug store and find both Daredevil and Spider-man still alive and having new adventures.)

So yeah, ASM 147 was a great place to start collecting comics, although I think I would have preferred your Fantastic Four or Hulk to that particular Thor.

Edited by Off Panel

58 minutes ago, Off Panel said:

Hey, 01TheDude!

You and I are First Comic Buddies. 

When I was eight, I was sick in bed with one of the childhood favorites (Summer cold? Strep throat?) and my Dad ran down to the pharmacy to find the grossest-tasting medicine he could (because those work the best). He probably felt a little guilty for just how successfully he accomplished that, because he also picked up a few comic books for me, which he had never done before.

My first three comics were Amazing Spider-man 147, Daredevil 124 and The Mighty Thor 237. (Yeah, I know the Thor came out a month before the other two. I think our pharmacy was a little lax with their comics rack.)

image.jpeg.80d7c443d417d2e9ac7c15b716f810bf.jpeg

image.jpeg.08accdab482d1527950954539d159e27.jpeg

image.jpeg.aeb750773fb761a3ec68ca45fccbdfd0.jpeg

By my recollection, I wasn’t a fan of the Thor book, but I was big into both the Spider-man and Daredevil stories, which sadly both ended with the heroes getting killed. Just my luck to find something cool right as it ended.

(I was super surprised a couple of months later to walk into the drug store and find both Daredevil and Spider-man still alive and having new adventures.)

So yeah, ASM 147 was a great place to start collecting comics, although I think I would have preferred your Fantastic Four or Hulk to that particular Thor.

I had the DD 124 as well and often wonder if I have substituted one of the other three for it as they all came out at the same time. It is a fuzzy memory that I try thinking back on every now and then. I was also a big fan of Thor and DD, but surprisingly less so of ASM and FF-- though I did buy every ASM I could find and would also pick up FF most of the time. Other times-- you would get to the store too late and they might out of them on the spinner rack-- which I learned to keep my eyes open for the 3 packs later on.