• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Status Explanations: An Explanation

10 posts in this topic

I just recently submitted my first CGC order and found myself in the same boat as some others, wondering about turnaround; if they'll charge upon receipt or at the conclusion of service (as stated), etc. My order was formally received today, allowing me to finally see their list of status definitions: 

Status Explanations

Received / CCS

The submission has arrived at CGC. The enclosed collectibles have been counted and entered in CGC’s computer system along with the submitter information, submission date and requested service. If there are multiple tiers of service, the collectibles have been separated by tier of service.

In the next step, a detailed description of each collectible will be entered in CGC’s computer system (a process commonly called “verification”). The collectibles will be separated from any paperwork that would identify the submitter and the submission will be prepared for grading.

If CCS services were requested, the submission will be routed to CCS and the CCS services will be completed first.

Scheduled for Grading

Each collectible has now been described in detail in CGC’s computer system and checked against the submitter’s descriptions. A unique identification number has been assigned to each collectible based on the submission form number and line item number. These identification numbers are printed on temporary holders and will be used to track each collectible throughout CGC’s grading process.

Submissions are then arranged by service and received date so that they can be graded on a "first in-first out" basis by service type.

Grading / Quality Control

Collectibles are authenticated, graded and encapsulated. Once encapsulated, they are re-examined to verify that the grade and accompanying description is correct. The holder is also checked for defects such as scuffs or nicks.

Finalized / Imaged / Shipped

Collectibles have been inspected and approved in Quality Control, photographed (if applicable), carefully packaged and returned to the submitter. Grades are now available for viewing online.

Returned to Submission Location

Collectibles have been inspected and approved in Quality Control, photographed, carefully packaged and are returned to the submission location. Grades are now available for viewing online.

At Submission Location

Collectibles have arrived at the Submission Location and are available for pick up.