• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Original Art from Board

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any tips on how to remove OA glued onto a board?  I have a couple of pieces like this, and one of the boards has a lot of water damage, so I’d like to remove it, but don’t know the best way to go about it.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, cesium_7 said:

Does anybody have any tips on how to remove OA glued onto a board?  I have a couple of pieces like this, and one of the boards has a lot of water damage, so I’d like to remove it, but don’t know the best way to go about it.

Thanks!

You need a professional restorer for that.  If you piece is india ink, they can soak it in solvent to remove the board.  It's been awhile but should be at least a couple of hundred for something like that

Malvin

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recurred the most were:

• Robert Dennis
Comic Art Restoration Service (on Facebook)

• Gordon Christman
Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
Gordon G. Christman
Restoration & Conservation
330 South Horne Street #L
Oceanside, CA 92054
TEL:  760 439 7970
CEL:  760 458 2290

• Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

I've also had one recommendation for each of these:

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.

Edited by alxjhnsn

You should also consider the cost of a professional to get the piece off the board.  It might not be worth it.

Do you have a guess about what kind of glue was used ?  Elmer's ??  Rubber cement ?? Etc ??

5 hours ago, Will_K said:

You should also consider the cost of a professional to get the piece off the board.  It might not be worth it.

Do you have a guess about what kind of glue was used ?  Elmer's ??  Rubber cement ?? Etc ??

Thanks guys.  I’ve used Robert for a job before.  He does great work, but is very pricey —the job, plus shipping back and forth— would cost more than the value of the art I would guess—

I’m not sure about the glue type, but the art was published in 1974, and the artists himself mounted it to the board some years later, so I’d guess whatever was common around that time (rubber cement?).  I was hoping there was an easier (and cheaper) method of doing it, but maybe not.