• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Spotlight #2 9.6 / 9.8

20 posts in this topic

I bought a raw copy of MS2 at HeroesCon a number of years ago... got it graded in 2018, and it came back a 9.6 - none higher. (currently 24 in the census)

Been watching this for a few years, and it certainly looks like the number of 9.6's has increased while there still isn't a single 9.8, and only 4 sales over the last 3 years hovering around $4k (Sales in 2017 were around $1400.)

With Moon Knight coming to Disney+ and Jack slated to appear in the MCU is this book poised for an even greater increase?  Or just a glut of submissions?

There are roughly 35% fewer graded copies of #2 than of #5, and #5 has 3 x 9.8's and 34 x 9.6's.  Statistically, I'd think we're due for a 9.8 to show up, yeah?

I don't expect WWBN to ever be GR, but MS5 9.6's are going $15k+ with a 4 year old 9.8 sale at $50k.

Time to Buy/Sell/Hold on the 9.6's that are out there?

If a 9.8 shows up, is that at least a $10k book?

2-CGCNM+.jpg

7 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Personally, I would keep hold of it, I can only see it increasing in value, such a tough book to find in this shape, maybe a 9.8 will never appear. Would you share the price you paid? Understand if you don't want to. 

I'm pretty sure this was one of those last-minute-walking-out-the-door purchases from the last time Gene Colan was at HeroesCon (2006-ish) and got me all excited about Marvel Bronze horror again.  I *kind of* think it came from Crazy Ed as I definitely remember talking to him about a #1 that I didn't end up buying.  I wasn't keeping as close track of what I paid for specific books back then as I am now, but it would have been really rare for me to pay much more than $100 for anything back then, so that's what I've got in my database now.  It could have been a bit more, but definitely not >$200, and I think 100-ish makes sense for the time period and that I had it as NM/NM-...

I agree with you though... I think it's probably smart to still sit on it and just hope the census doesn't get too diluted.

Probably wouldn't do me any good, but I sure would love to see what a 9.8 would pull at auction - especially if the MCU thing happens and they got the timing right...

Super tough book to find above 9.2, let alone a 9.6.  Nice score.  It all depends whether to hold or sell.  With the price it's fetching in top grade, if you were in the mood to sell, it would be a great time.  I tend to hold on to everything, with a few exceptions and miss out on the tops.  In this particular case, with so little invested into the book, I'd let it ride and hold.  Beautiful book!

Alright, gentlemen (I'm assuming)... The last sale of this somehow fetched $14k...

I've decided to try and get back into M:TG... replacing all my old Beta power is way out of the question, but it looks like HP UL Lotus's are going for just about this 14k mark...

Is now the time to try and move this or wait until closer to the Disney+ Halloween special?

Was that $14k sale just a fluke?

On 1/11/2022 at 10:50 PM, Schmakt said:

Follow-up question...

Best to put this with a BIN at, say, $15k with Best Offers or put it in an actual auction at Heritage or some place?

Judging by latest Heritage results, I would try them and I do not think the price was a fluke, such a tough book in that grade.

Barton (Ghost town) has since turned his 9.6 into a 9.8, god only knows what that would go for if it ever goes to market. 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:58 PM, batmiesta said:

Judging by latest Heritage results, I would try them and I do not think the price was a fluke, such a tough book in that grade.

Barton (Ghost town) has since turned his 9.6 into a 9.8, god only knows what that would go for if it ever goes to market. 

oh damn.  I kept meaning to look at the census to see if a 9.8 ever popped up but kept getting sidetracked!  That's the mark I really want to see... 

And, seemingly, if 9.8's are showing up, maybe now's the time to drop the 9.6.  Just asked my Marvel MCU friends though, and no one knows this character... so maybe still room to grow!  Anyone wanna trade me a Lotus for it? :)

On 1/11/2022 at 11:04 PM, Schmakt said:

oh damn.  I kept meaning to look at the census to see if a 9.8 ever popped up but kept getting sidetracked!  That's the mark I really want to see... 

And, seemingly, if 9.8's are showing up, maybe now's the time to drop the 9.6.  Just asked my Marvel MCU friends though, and no one knows this character... so maybe still room to grow!  Anyone wanna trade me a Lotus for it? :)

I think the Disney show is going to be the new crappier Werewolf, and I think it will be real collectors going after it anyhow. 

Might be worth CPR though, if it comes back a 9.8, you can buy a couple of Lotus's, I would rather have the book though. 9_9

Just taking a closer look at your book, I don't think 9.8 may be possible with the top left corner (although there are plenty more members with more expertise than me can maybe tell you), do you have the grader notes?

On 1/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, batmiesta said:

I think the Disney show is going to be the new crappier Werewolf, and I think it will be real collectors going after it anyhow. 

Might be worth CPR though, if it comes back a 9.8, you can buy a couple of Lotus's, I would rather have the book though. 9_9

I would rather not have sold my super-minty Beta Lotus for $500 back in '02 ;)

On 1/11/2022 at 6:16 PM, batmiesta said:

Just taking a closer look at your book, I don't think 9.8 may be possible with the top left corner (although there are plenty more members with more expertise than me can maybe tell you), do you have the grader notes?

I agree with you about 9.8... I think this isn't going past 9.6...

Grader's Notes:

very light spine stress lines breaks color
very light wear top of front cover breaks color
very light, multiple wear all corners front cover breaks color

On 1/11/2022 at 6:20 PM, Schmakt said:

Grader's Notes:

If this was a copper/modern book, it would be a 8.0-9.0  with they way they been hammering newer stuff

On 1/11/2022 at 5:58 PM, batmiesta said:

My guess is north of $100k

On 1/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, Schmakt said:

Grader's Notes:

Yeah that will more than likely stay a 9.6 with those notes.