• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzzetta's FOURTH Guess The Grade Contest - Ends 2020-12-12 at 12 Midnight EST
7 7

196 posts in this topic

All of the books... 

ASM 23 went from a 7.5 to an 8.5. 

Side note... I had not realized when I submitted it that if you ask for the Spider-man label it counts as a separate order.   So... separate order means separate shipping charge.  :facepalm:

Either way, this is my favorite ASM cover in the Ditko run and I have a few of these books.  I have a 9.0 for the set... but it's the 8.5 that has the Spider-man label which is kind of cool. 

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 23 4/65 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover
very light wear all corners of cover

ASM23cgc85a.jpg

ASM23cgc85b.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

Captain America 45.

Originally I had picked this up in a Comiclink Auction where it was slabbed in a PGX holder and rolled the dice on it.  It 'looked' good... so... kept my fingers crossed that there would be no restoration. 

Original Grade?  PGX 4.5 - New Grade - 3.5. 

The book went down a full grade from PGX but that is probably due to how CGC views tape these days.  To be. honest. I think Joe did an exceptional job and there is no one I would trust GA books with more.

Comic Description:
Captain America Comics 45 3/45 Timely Comics

Grader Notes:
light pieces out to cover
light tears to cover
moderate foxing to cover
staple detached front cover
tape cover
tape interior cover
very light bindery tears to cover

CA45cgc35a.jpg

CA45cgc35b.jpg

Crime Suspenstories 15.  I love this book.    Due to the cut of the book I originally thought it might have been trimmed after I had it in hand.  I bought it raw on eBay. I had submitted two copies in the order (which I will show the other one off as well).  I have another raw copy to submit sometime in the future.   With the way the world is though, I might actually submit some moderns next time.  'might' 

Comic Description:
Crime SuspenStories 15 2-3/53 E.C. Comics

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light pieces out to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover
moderate wear all corners of cover
moderate wear all edges of cover

CSS15cgc65a.jpg

CSS15cgc65b.jpg

The Superman 25.  This was a surprise.  This was originally a CGC 5.0.  I have the label somewhere.  I bought the book raw on heritage as it really looked nicer.  Yes, CGC accounted for the tear as you can see from the grader notes.  I originally thought they might have missed it for some reason.  No one saw this coming, including myself. 

Cracked out CGC 5.0 to a CGC 7.0

Again, there is no one I would trust with my GA stuff more than Joe. 

Comic Description:
Superman 25 11-12/43 D.C. Comics

Grader Notes:
moderate creasing to cover
moderate tears to cover

Superman25cgc70a.jpg

Superman25cgc70b.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

FF48

This was a heartbreaker and I gotta say... 

CGC 6.0 to a CGC... 5.5

As always, Joe did an exceptional job.  Comparing the scans, I think it came out nicer but I am obviously biased.  I cannot help but wonder if CGC missed the tape somehow on the first go around.  If the book climbs even more, I might see if the tape removal is worth it. 

If anyone thought it was a sharp looking 6.0, then I promise that this is the sharpest 5.5 one might ever see. 

Fantastic Four 48 3/66 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
staple weak bottom of spine
tape left bottom of interior cover

FF48cgc55a.jpg

FF48cgc55b.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

And now... the Four Color 596... 
I was pleasantly surprised. 

Comic Description:
Four Color 596 12/54 Dell Publishing

Grader Notes:
light bindery tears to cover
light staining to cover
light wear all corners of cover
light wear all edges of cover

FC596cgc40a.jpg

FC596cgc40b.jpg

Almost forgot the Batman book... 

Purchased off the boards as a 3.5... it cleaned up nicely with a press. 

Raw 3.5? to a CGC 4.5

Comic Description:
Batman 40 4-5/47 D.C. Comics

Grader Notes:
light foxing to cover
light tears to cover

Batman40cgc45a.jpg

Batman40cgc45b.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

Other books from this submission... 

ASM 14 purchased raw here as a 3.0 a few years ago. 

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 14 7/64 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
light bindery tears to cover
light staining to cover
light tears to cover

ASM14cgc40a.jpg

ASM14cgc40b.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

What about the other ASM 14? 

This was picked up on the boards as a 'G'. Given the recent popularity of the book, I had to slab my remaining copies of it. 

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 14 7/64 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
light staining to cover
light tears to cover

ASM14cgc35a.jpg

ASM14cgc35b.jpg

Last book from the submission..., 

Crime Suspenstories 15... the other copy... 

This was purchased off eBay as a 'good' last year... I was expecting a 3.5... so again..

Comic Description:
Crime SuspenStories 15 2-3/53 E.C. Comics

Grader Notes:
moderate wear all corners of cover

CA45cgc35a.jpg

CA45cgc35b.jpg

11 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

congrats on some nice improvements! my estimates were woefully inadequate. cant believe turok is a 4.0 but that's a nice surprise. the superman 25 truly looks great. who is the cleaner and presser of these for those of us who might want to use him in the future? 

I believe he said it was @joeypost

22 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

congrats on some nice improvements! my estimates were woefully inadequate. cant believe turok is a 4.0 but that's a nice surprise. the superman 25 truly looks great. who is the cleaner and presser of these for those of us who might want to use him in the future? 

Great question.  I mentioned it earlier in the thread but should have tagged him.   Joe does exceptional work.  There is a difference between all of the guys out there that are buying up T shirt presses and just squishing books.  I have seen the long term effects of what they do.  Joe has corrected spine rolls and other aspects of a book that have improved the aesthetic and they have maintained that pressing job years later.

@joeypost - I would always recommend Joe. 

Quick story.  Earlier this year on one of the FB comics some guy showed a higher value book and said he was thinking about buying a t shirt press because he wondered if a press would improve this book he showed.   A lot of people encouraged him to try it so I chimed in that he should send that book out to someone who knew what they were doing instead of all of the 'basement pressers' that were running their mouths. 

Someone called me out on it basically asking who I thought was better than all of them.

I said Joe of CFP comics.

The guy that called me out said, "Yeah, Joe is an excellent presser."

lol 

Edited by Buzzetta

BTW @www.alexgross.com

Here is an excellent representation of Joe's work and ability to remove a spine roll.  This is probably one of my favorite GA Caps and at my pay grade you cannot own them all so I chase only the ones I REALLY want.

The first scan comes from Heritage when it was a 3.5

The second scan is the result once Joe removed the spine roll and it still looks like that today.   Even though it is a 4.0 and only bumped up by .5 of a grade, the overall look of the book is much better after sending it to be pressed and regraded.  There is a dramatic improvement. 

Spoiler

Cap47cgc35Ra.thumb.jpeg.a8e9a0b28d8d99894396311fc253c973.jpegCap47cgc40Ra.thumb.jpg.1cf36f329b881fbdd80a0c828cbb88d4.jpg

Yeah I also want to give a public thank you to @01TheDude.  After seeing his excel sheet, I was able to make some improvements on mine.  I did not want to reveal much but he did help me build a better mouse trap.

I also appreciated you keeping track of things.

Send me your address as well.  Not-So-Secret Santa is going to drop ship a stocking stuffer. 

Edited by Buzzetta