• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzzetta's FOURTH Guess The Grade Contest - Ends 2020-12-12 at 12 Midnight EST
7 7

196 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I stand corrected -- though when you said I won I thought you meant 1st place. I completely forgot about this contest that happened so long ago - I mean-- 5 years is quite a while- especially if you suffered some serious health problems along the way.

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I stand corrected -- though when you said I won I thought you meant 1st place. I completely forgot about this contest that happened so long ago - I mean-- 5 years is quite a while- especially if you suffered some serious health problems along the way.

Ha - I am glad that you are here to play again five years later !  Only reason I remembered was because I had to find the old thread in the forum to remember how I even organized and ran the whole thing. 

16 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

image.thumb.png.d43bd4a07025694f3c79c29e4b6d5fa9.png

That's not how the scores are tallied though.  I add up the absolute value of the difference in grade for each individual book.  I just compared the numbers on your graph and they do not match up as to how I am keeping track.  

Each person's score for each individual book is Absolute Value of the (Actual Grade - Guessed Grade).  Then add up all of the absolute values.  Lowest score wins.    So I made a mock table showing how the two lead to differences in placing. In your tally Ringo wins.  In my tally John wins.   The reason why I do it that way so that it balances out the score in case someone believes a book depreciated from the pre CGC grade. 

1661131959_ScreenShot2020-12-05at8_44_51AM.thumb.png.71db89fc3ea69ee55b3bc1eeca1c3fee.png

Edited by Buzzetta

this is a fun contest, thank you for doing it!

one question i had, though it does not apply to these books. should not the grade difference between an 8.5 and 9.0 and 9.0 and 9.2 result in the same differential for the players, since both are one increment off? making a mistake between an 8.5 and a 9.0 is two and a half times more costly in this contest than between 9.0 and 9.2. 

anyway, your game, your rules. just wanted to bring it up. 

35 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is a fun contest, thank you for doing it!

one question i had, though it does not apply to these books. should not the grade difference between an 8.5 and 9.0 and 9.0 and 9.2 result in the same differential for the players, since both are one increment off? making a mistake between an 8.5 and a 9.0 is two and a half times more costly in this contest than between 9.0 and 9.2. 

anyway, your game, your rules. just wanted to bring it up. 

Thanks ! 

No... if the book is a 9.0 and you guess 8.5 then you are .5 off.  If you guess 9.2 then you are off by .2.   Therein lies the risk. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Just now, B2D327 said:

Assuming a clean to go with the press, I can see some improbable flaws so here are my guesses:

book 1- 8.0

book 2- 3.0

book 3- 4.0

book 4- 6.5

book 5- 5.5

book 6- 6.0

book 7- 3.0

“Improvable” so as not to break the rules with an edit.

16 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

“Improvable” so as not to break the rules with an edit.

There was one improbable flaw as well. 

I believe no one has got all the grades correct so far. I was thinking if this information can be used by people participating later. 

Assuming the press can give you a bump up to 4 grades or at worst keep the grade same, there would be 5  possible grades for each book. 

For 7 books, that gives us 7^5 = 16807 possibilities.

We will probably need in the order of thousands of unsuccessful participants before someone can use that information to gain a significant advantage. hm

11 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

I believe no one has got all the grades correct so far. I was thinking if this information can be used by people participating later. 

Assuming the press can give you a bump up to 4 grades or at worst keep the grade same, there would be 5  possible grades for each book. 

For 7 books, that gives us 7^5 = 16807 possibilities.

We will probably need in the order of thousands of unsuccessful participants before someone can use that information to gain a significant advantage. hm

Well keep in mind, you never know... maybe one of the grades went down.

33 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Side note: It always interests me to see which books have the most "bullseyes" in that people got the exact grade.  

wut books are those?

Just now, Buzzetta said:

The ones that people guess the exact grade on a specific book. 

youre not being specific.