• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Cover Rarity and Value
2 2

18 posts in this topic

I recently picked up this Marvel Premiere 15 double cover.  First double cover I have ever found ‘in the wild’!  The person I was buying it from didn’t even know it was a double, they had never opened it!  (I always closely inspect books i purchase and go through them page by page).  Just wondering if we have any idea as to the rarity/frequency of double covers?  Any way to tell if there are any more Marvel Premiere 15 double covers out there?  How does it affect the value?  Show me your double covers people!!!

36CC74A9-533B-4F3B-BA07-D18D78393B1D.jpeg

2D72F240-C292-498C-83C7-4D43D9712DA0.jpeg

912152AB-B775-4024-A42C-D593BBDAD01F.jpeg

Depends mostly on the buyer when it comes to how much more, but double covers on big keys definitely add a nice chunk to the value...if you are gonna sell get it graded...nice find in the wild!...

Edited by JTD

2 hours ago, JTD said:

Depends mostly on the buyer when it comes to how much more, but double covers on big keys definitely add a nice chunk to the value...if you are gonna sell get it graded...nice find in the wild!...

I sent this off for pressing and cleaning and now its at CGC.  I plan on selling it and hoping I can find the right buyer for it...

Congratulations on the find. As others have stated it can be hit or miss with value. Some do not care for the error / double covers, but that said there definitely is a market and keys with them always seem to bring a premium.  Similar to Mark Jeweler's inserts. There are books that are known to have some double covers and are a little more common. Others are a lot more rare. It can also depend on the condition of each cover . One of the few down sides to these is usually the nicer of the two covers is not the visible one , so they present with less eye appeal.  I have about 30 or so different double covers myself from a wide variety of books. They are awesome to find in the wild. I have also found other errors such a blank panels/pages, siamese pages/wraps,  out of order wraps, print errors/missing colors, etc. Some of these fascinate me as the quality control should have caught them and they shouldn't have made it out. Unfortunately CGC doesn't have a separate category or way to truly see how many have been graded. This coupled with the same reason you found yours ( some never open the book to even know) it is near impossible to know how many exist. Anyway congratulations again on this find. If you would please share when you get it back from CGC. 

4 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Congratulations on the find. As others have stated it can be hit or miss with value. Some do not care for the error / double covers, but that said there definitely is a market and keys with them always seem to bring a premium.  Similar to Mark Jeweler's inserts. There are books that are known to have some double covers and are a little more common. Others are a lot more rare. It can also depend on the condition of each cover . One of the few down sides to these is usually the nicer of the two covers is not the visible one , so they present with less eye appeal.  I have about 30 or so different double covers myself from a wide variety of books. They are awesome to find in the wild. I have also found other errors such a blank panels/pages, siamese pages/wraps,  out of order wraps, print errors/missing colors, etc. Some of these fascinate me as the quality control should have caught them and they shouldn't have made it out. Unfortunately CGC doesn't have a separate category or way to truly see how many have been graded. This coupled with the same reason you found yours ( some never open the book to even know) it is near impossible to know how many exist. Anyway congratulations again on this find. If you would please share when you get it back from CGC. 

Thanks! Wow, 30 of them?  That’s a good haul of DC’s!  Did you get them on ebay?

Cool book!

Double covers def have fans and people who pay up for them. Especially met issues with double covers.

As for value that can be tricky. Assuming you want to maximize your return, price high and then lower if the interest isn’t there. But I think there are a couple boardies who might def be interested. 

5 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

Thanks! Wow, 30 of them?  That’s a good haul of DC’s!  Did you get them on ebay?

You are welcome. Not all of them are DC I shared a bunch of pictures on the thread linked above. Some off ebay, some through Clink, heritage, metro, and some local shops both here and when I am on trips. 

6 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

I sent this off for pressing and cleaning and now its at CGC.  I plan on selling it and hoping I can find the right buyer for it...

As @Buzzetta will tell you-something like this you price it high and then let it sit.  Sooner or later it will sell.  Not idiotically high like $50,000 L@@K! RARE! but maybe dbl or triple (maybe) the GPA value.

On 12/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, speedcake said:

let us know how it does at CGC. pretty glorious to find a bigger key with multiple covers in the wild. grats on this one!  I have two double covers in my collection, neither are keys, but both are still super cool to me.  

I am hoping to get my CGC stuff back before Christmas.  I will be sure to update the thread with the results!

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

here is a double cover I own. I think it is rare but what I don't know is how collectible it is. There are double cover collectors, and collectors of weird things like the printing offset it has. I love it because it fits into my collection of Planet Comics.

PLanetComics48front_zpsbdaba10a.jpg

Planet%20Comics%2048%20inner%20cover_zps

Beauty!!!!!

here is a double cover I own. I think it is rare but what I don't know is how collectible it is. There are double cover collectors, and collectors of weird things like the printing offset it has. I love it because it fits into my collection of Planet Comics.

F23EA1E0-9D3C-4698-A5FB-E87944BDCBB1.gif

It doesn't get much cooler than this. Now all I need is a pair of 3-D glasses...  :cool:

If you have a double cover of any given book, odds are there more of the same issue. They are caused when the saddle stitcher gets jammed or malfunctions for a minute or two.

I don't specificaly collect them but have discovered a lot "in the wild" and have actually bought some because of it. They are very collectible and do bring a premium depending what they are.

This is my favorite one. I am a huge EC fan and collector. This is one of my favorite Wally Wood war covers. I bought it at a con and the seller didn't note it or charge any extra for it. I was stoked to get it. And, the outer cover looks every bit as nice as the interior one.

comfrontlinecombat13.jpg

Considering how mysterious it would be to find a Golden Age semi-key or hard-to-find book that is both severely miscut (rare printing error) and a double cover (another rare printing error), imagine my surprise at finding the very aptly named Mysterious Adventures #1 (Story Comics, 1951) pictured here!   The "strangest tales ever" belong in the strangest books, agreed?  :)

82341786_MysteriousAdventures1(CGC8.0)-front.thumb.jpeg.f79169c8e2d93119338fa2208693605e.jpeg

I wonder if there even is enough info to calculate the statistical [im]probability of finding two severe errors in a semi-key GA book in this condition and with a similar wonder-invoking title, let alone the debut issue.  Very fond of this book.  It BARELY fit in the slab!

Edited by Pantodude

On 12/5/2020 at 8:43 AM, Jeremiah said:

Just wondering if we have any idea as to the rarity/frequency of double covers?  Any way to tell if there are any more Marvel Premiere 15 double covers out there?  How does it affect the value?  

In terms of value, all I can say for sure is that errors in comic books, while obtaining a premium often enough, remain very undervalued relative to printing errors in other hobbies, like stampe, coins, and currency (my other hobbies).  It's night and day right now, but who knows...time will tell.   

Edited by Pantodude