• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY THAT IS THE QUESTION WITH MODERNS
1 1

40 posts in this topic

I have been wondering lately after watching numerous Youtube videos that the modern run of comics is worthless! Yes I can hear your shock but hear me out, unless a comic is limited in its run I believe that there would be thousands of 9.8's and to inflate certain prices is nonsense. Personally I would rather invest in an older first appearance than a modern for two reasons: One that there are fewer copies and two they are better comics in general both in art and story. Maybe I'm alone in this thought but it does make sense, now if you are only going to flip the moderns please feel free.:smile:  Another trend I've noticed through the video's is that nearly all of them want bargains and are NOT prepared to pay full market value and again have to show off the same canon of popular covers. That's another reason I'm convinced that comics from say 1970 onwards are everywhere if you're prepared to hunt, it makes me laugh when I hear one of them claiming "I bought Hulk 181 for a dollar!" Then during the same video claiming that it is worth X amount of Dollars?:roflmao:Have any of the other forum members an opinion, thanks for reading? 

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

I have been wondering lately after watching numerous Youtube videos that the modern run of comics is worthless! Yes I can hear your shock but hear me out, unless a comic is limited in its run I believe that there would be thousands of 9.8's and to inflate certain prices is nonsense. Personally I would rather invest in an older first appearance than a modern for two reasons: One that there are fewer copies and two they are better comics in general both in art and story. Maybe I'm alone in this thought but it does make sense, now if you are only going to flip the moderns please feel free.:smile:  Another trend I've noticed through the video's is that nearly all of them want bargains and are NOT prepared to pay full market value and again have to show off the same canon of popular covers. That's another reason I'm convinced that comics from say 1970 onwards are everywhere if you're prepared to hunt, it makes me laugh when I hear one of them claiming "I bought Hulk 181 for a dollar!" Then during the same video claiming that it is worth X amount of Dollars?:roflmao:Have any of the other forum members an opinion, thanks for reading? 

83B61962-33A5-4394-8553-063A679045E9.jpeg.af1de0815884a66310bdc01262bb6992.jpeg
there is definitely a new approach to collecting that modern readers/collectors take, but some of the characters introduced in these books (Miles Morales) are going to be the Wolvie or Venom of this newest generation. A lot of these books have much lower print runs because today’s market isn’t like those of the past. So, some of these “worthless” comics won’t be worthless forever. 

I think much of the newer collecting habits are silly, and I can’t stomach any of these videos, but it’s not my place to tell them they are doing it wrong. Whatever makes them happy...

Edited by awakeintheashes

31 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

but some of the characters introduced in these books (Miles Morales) are going to be the Wolvie or Venom of this newest generation.

His book did not raise in value until the Spiderverse movie so it is debatable if it will keep its value. I also agree about the Youtube videos and I do enjoy them.   

Yes, modern comics are worthless. Unless the market decides they are worth something, of course. And there's more potential for something to "pop" nowadays because, for the most part, print-runs are not insane, even if they are fewer collectors/speculators out there and there is a liquid market of junior flippers. 

And now I have repeated what has been said here for roughly the last 20 years.

Today's proliferous variants, moderns, limited production runs and all those other 'special' exclusive books are IMO very inflated and another form of tulip-mania. :foryou:  The comic industry has created a symbiotic feeding frenzy from top to bottom where the distributors create the limited run and sense of specialness, the comic stores purchase and respectfully hype them, the naïve collectors hoard them and grade them at times, the novice buyers end up bidding up the book on eBay, which gets reported by the smart you-tuber or the perpetual IG comic-today's hot-pick-guy, who correctly shows you the upward market trend in price on that particular spec book, which starts the feeding frenzy all over again.  This cycle is all a house of cards built on the shaky premise that everyone is in on the con, which is to create an immediate market with willing spec buyers and happy sellers, who perpetuate the unsaid charade that these books really have such bloated values. Truth be told when the merry go round stops (and I believe it will), whoever is holding none of these books but all the cash made from their many sales - said individuals will emerge as the winners and whoever is sitting with a display wall or long box full of them in all 9.6s & 9.8s may end up feeling very cheated and full of regret.  My 2 cents :blahblah:.  Only time will prove me wrong or right. :preach:  

I sell as many as I can to buy gold books. The fact that there is a large high grade raw supply is almost irrelevant.  It’s the 9.8 or in fewer cases 9.6 designation that gives it value not the underlying book in most cases.  Like bitcoins with many unrealized 9.8s have to be mined.  Like Greggy seems to do it. 

So evidently Daredevil 25 is a 'thing'.  I have had Daredevil on my pull list the last 5+ years.  I went to my LCS today, and he was like, 'good thing you showed up, DD is through the roof'.

My reaction:   PFFFTTTT.....in a year from now, this will be a couple bucks more than cover price.  Yet another comic storyline gimmick, and the sheeple continue to inflate prices. 

5 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Were people hoarding up on comics in the 60s thinking they could easily flip them for profit someday?

Yes. By the late 60s for sure. It helps explain why there are a lot of the late 60s #1s. Granted, it was not a large population of people doing it. But it didn't cost much to take a chance on 100 copies of Iron Man 1.